Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 Vette with Vats issue Starts, but dies after a few seconds

Old 11-11-2014, 03:56 PM
ramensam
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Vette with Vats issue Starts, but dies after a few seconds

Hello. I'm working on a vehicle for customer. It's a 1996 Auto.
The car has a vats issue, when you put the key to on, the securitiy light flashes, then stays on. The car does start, but the injectors shut off after a few seconds.

We purchased a Vats bypass kit which provides the 30 or 50hz signal to the ECM. However, the instructions provided direct me to pins that don't exist on this year vette (Pin 25 on Red Connector). I was hoping you guys could direct me to some proper pinouts for the 96, or better yet offer some other advice on how to proceed with getting it to stay running. A link to the item i got is here http://www.xdponline.com/index.php?m...0d4c890ee76004

Thanks for you help
Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1996

Originally Posted by ramensam
Hello. I'm working on a vehicle for customer. It's a 1996 Auto.
The car has a vats issue, when you put the key to on, the securitiy light flashes, then stays on. The car does start, but the injectors shut off after a few seconds.

We purchased a Vats bypass kit which provides the 30 or 50hz signal to the ECM. However, the instructions provided direct me to pins that don't exist on this year vette (Pin 25 on Red Connector). I was hoping you guys could direct me to some proper pinouts for the 96, or better yet offer some other advice on how to proceed with getting it to stay running. A link to the item i got is here http://www.xdponline.com/index.php?m...0d4c890ee76004

Thanks for you help
Did you try a brand new key with the pellet on it?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Why don't you fix the problem rather than adding a hokie bypass kit?

Have you checked resistance through the key circuit at the two pin connector near the base of the column?

It's odd that it cranks. It shouldn't.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Sounds like something else to me. See the thread called "retro engine for 1988" for some information about the ECM and spark.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

VATS, if I recall, does not even into play once the car is running.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the Corvettes, but the '91 Cadillac I had would display something like "Security Locked" on the dashboard and not allow you to try starting the car again until the 5 minutes expired.

I found a set of instructions on the web that showed where to put a simple 59 cent resistor in the wire under the dash to bypass it, worked perfect for me.

Take a look at this link - basically says that if the engine cranks at all, it's not a VATS issue.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-86-vette.html

Last edited by MaxDaemon; 11-11-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

aaaaand adding a little more info - looks like the 95 and 96 cars had an upgraded version of VATS that actually did mess with the fuel system, so it might start and then die. Here's the thread I found...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419649
Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM
ramensam
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies so far. The reason we are trying to do a bypass is because we can't seem to get anything related to the resistance of the key to work. We've run thru all the key resistances and the car behaves the same.
The key measure 680 ohms, I've created a chain of resistors matching it and placing it in place of the key in the wiring as well.

We previously had a no crank condition, but that weirdly fixed itself. But now are left with the injectors shutting off.
After reading the thread linked above, it seems to indicate the 95+ vettes communicate via Serial data. Not sure how I can work around this.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for the replies so far. The reason we are trying to do a bypass is because we can't seem to get anything related to the resistance of the key to work. We've run thru all the key resistances and the car behaves the same.
The key measure 680 ohms, I've created a chain of resistors matching it and placing it in place of the key in the wiring as well.

We previously had a no crank condition, but that weirdly fixed itself. But now are left with the injectors shutting off.
After reading the thread linked above, it seems to indicate the 95+ vettes communicate via Serial data. Not sure how I can work around this.

Hope this helps. looks like you would need a 0.680 ohms

List of resistor values on last page
http://www.lockmasters.com/ecommerce...%20Article.pdf
Old 11-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

All from at least '92 up communicate via a serial data cable. All serial data wires are tan, from the ECM, CCM, EBCM...all tan. You can test them by checking for continuity from one Control module to another.

How did you "run thru all the key resistances ."?

If you did it the way I'm thinking, then I'd say it's something else. Have you drawn codes from the CCM?
Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 PM
ramensam
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
All from at least '92 up communicate via a serial data cable.

How did you "run thru all the key resistances ."?

If you did it the way I'm thinking, then I'd say it's something else. Have you drawn codes from the CCM?
We had a locksmith who had a device he plugged into the key connector that has a slider which adjust the resistance. He started at key type 1 thru 15 waiting 5 min between attempts.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:16 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I wouldn't be so convinced it's a VATS issue. it could be a lot of things.

Grounds, Maf, relays, ad infinitum. Best to start with diagnosis based upon a crank, start and stall. If you get tunnel visioned on one thing, it's hard to think objectively.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 AM
ramensam
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I wouldn't be so convinced it's a VATS issue. it could be a lot of things.

Grounds, Maf, relays, ad infinitum. Best to start with diagnosis based upon a crank, start and stall. If you get tunnel visioned on one thing, it's hard to think objectively.
Well, I've checked with a noid light that the Injectors stop right before the car dies if that helps.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

We had a locksmith who had a device he plugged into the key connector that has a slider which adjust the resistance. He started at key type 1 thru 15 waiting 5 min between attempts.
What is the "key connector"? The tumbler (where you insert the key)?

You need to drop the driver's side kick panel. You need to find the two pin connector at the base of the column, one wire is purple, IIRC, the other may be white? You need to unplug that connector and probe the two pins for resistance, with the key in the tumbler and "ON", and also in the crank position. Good idea to test while moving the key back and forth between ON and CRANK, looking for drop outs.

The entire time you're probing that connector for resistance, with the key in the tumbler, you should see the same resistance at those two wires as you got on your key; the ~680 ohms. If you don't get that, or you get "drop out" in continuity, then there is an issue in the tumbler/key connection, the wires in the tumbler, or the harness down the column.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Vette with Vats issue Starts, but dies after a few seconds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Vette with Vats issue Starts, but dies after a few seconds