Climbing in and out of a C4

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
Keeps you young!!!
NO ... A beautiful, young, exotic woman keeps you young.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Common advice says don't pull on the steering wheel or hang on the windshield to help yourself out. I pivot sideways and bend over with arms tucked in over my belt. If I'm getting out carrying a laptop, I hold that out as sort of a counterbalance. I'm fairly tall and if I didn't have a vert it might not be so much fun getting in and out.

Sort-of-related item: When a passenger is getting out I lower their window so they don't use it as a handle to close the door
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting out : left hand on the sill, right elbow "hooked" over the A pillar, I never touch the steering wheel these days having had to pay almost £400.00 to get the pins fixed!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:08 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Ricasso, the pin replacement is what I was thinking of when I mentioned not hanging onto the wheel. There was an article on pin replacement in Corvette Fever or Vette magazine some time ago. That's when I learned not to use the wheel to get out.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:21 AM
ricasso
Pro

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
Ricasso, the pin replacement is what I was thinking of when I mentioned not hanging onto the wheel. There was an article on pin replacement in Corvette Fever or Vette magazine some time ago. That's when I learned not to use the wheel to get out.
Yeah, I treat the wheel like its made of glass these days, I dont know what its like in the US but here in the UK any play in the wheel/column will mean it fails the annual safety test, (MOT)
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 AM
12 inches
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
NO ... A beautiful, young, exotic woman keeps you young.
How does a 40 year old get one of those?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

12 Inches......check your bank balance.........

Ricasso, they don't have a wheel check as such here in the US. I suppose if it were wobbly enough they could fail on safety concerns though. The expense of some repairs is staggering. Corvettes, like a lot of cars, weren't built to be repaired easily, whether by the owner or a dealer's shop, so I'd like mine to last as long as possible.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 AM
rsmith4604
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

five7kid, I've got the same issue.....oh my!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Aw, come on there is only one way to do this entry-exit stuff. FALL IN---CRAWL OUT.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Getting in is easy stick your behind in and drop ! Watch the back of your head if the top is on. To get out stick your left leg out pull up on the roof to get your butt on the sill then roll over. Once your out on the pavement on your hands and knees pick yourself up !
Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE how I fall into my corvette, and how it then continues to hug me almost as though it doesn't want me to step out of it. And thats just fine with me... I love being inside it. The feel, how low you are, the cabin wraps itself around you holding you tight... its exotic, sexy, sporty, aggressive, youthful... inspiring.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Try it with a racing seat. I certainly don't feel graceful getting out. But being 6'3" isn't helping matters either. I do think it's part of the experience. Nothing like climbing in using the frame of the car. LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
I LOVE how I fall into my corvette, and how it then continues to hug me almost as though it doesn't want me to step out of it. And thats just fine with me... I love being inside it. The feel, how low you are, the cabin wraps itself around you holding you tight... its exotic, sexy, sporty, aggressive, youthful... inspiring.
From the sound of your post, I think you meant to say "erotic", not "exotic".

Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe i was being pg13 for the forum
Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I love the fall in/climb out nature of the C4. Gives it the feel of a true purpose sports car. Yes an easier ingress/egress would be more convenient, but I did not buy this car for convenience. I bought it for a fun, sporty, sensational driving experience and it delivers in spades.

Regarding ride harshness and low-slung nature of these cars, my current C4 (1995) has the soft-ride suspension which is quite comfortable and it still handles curves beautifully. My last C4 had the heavy duty suspension (stiffer springs, sway bars and bushings) and was not quite so comfortable but seemed to ride a little closer to the ground. It makes sense... softer springs allow more suspension travel so they gave it more ride height, stiffer springs means less travel and can ride lower without problems.

Last edited by DGXR; 03-26-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Fastime
Instructor

For years I would use the steering wheel to get in and out of the car, until I read a post sometime ago how it loosens screws in the column. I have now fixed my steering column and take a little more time getting in and out of the car.

For the ride I have an 84 with the Z51 suspension option with larger sway bars, polyurethane bushings and QA1 adjustable shocks. The car handles like a Go-kart on steroids and is a lot of fun to drive. I also have a new Boss 302 and it has a more refined ride and is easier to get in and out but not the same fun as my vette.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

use the door sill. put one foot in the car and sit on the door sill. slide over on to the seat then put your other foot in. you won't hit your head on the roof this way.

to get out repeat. put one leg out , slide onto the door sill, swing the other leg out then stand up from sitting on the door sill

try it , I am 60 and I can get in and out easily.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Climbing in and out of a C4

Old 03-26-2014, 03:37 PM
five7kid
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Allentown Ernie
Aw, come on there is only one way to do this entry-exit stuff. FALL IN---CRAWL OUT.
Bingo!

I'm 59, my wife is 62 (most people think I robbed the cradle), we're grandparents, and neither of us really has a problem getting into or out of the Vette.

But it was a little "different" at first.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
1lndonr
Intermediate

My vette has sport seats so getting in and out is hindered by having to avoid the controls poking up your butt. I need a jib crane to help me with this and don't have one so I just sit on those bumpy buttons, swing left leg out, turn and get right leg out pushing up on door sill, and leaning forward to miss the top stand up. I'm not saying that standing up is easy with no cartiledge in right knee and 63 years old.

But... the joy of driving that car makes it all worth it with no need to aggravate my helpmate with a younger, beautiful girl, LOL.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

In not a problem, out well lets just say had my left knee replaced two years ago and right last monday!!!! Cannot wait to fall back in YEEEhawww

Quick Reply: Climbing in and out of a C4