C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 weatherstrip replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 AM
fourkidscrazy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1996 weatherstrip replacement

I am looking to replace the weatherstrip that a glass company installed last year on my 96 vette. They did a poor job on installing it when they replaced the front window. It keeps coming loose from the drivers pillar, and I found out in November of 2013 that it leaked on the drivers side and passenger side pillars . I have been looking around on the various corvette suppliers web sites and found that there seams to be different price ranges for the front window weatherstrip. Some of the suppliers list two different price ranges. Does anyone know the difference between the quality of these items. Also do you need to use any adhesive with the weatherstrip. I removed the top channel on the window and used goof off to remove the adhesive from the top widow channel which worked very well but that was factory installed. The glass company did not even remove the residue from the old weatherstrip on the top window channel.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by fourkidscrazy
I am looking to replace the weatherstrip that a glass company installed last year on my 96 vette. They did a poor job on installing it when they replaced the front window. It keeps coming loose from the drivers pillar, and I found out in November of 2013 that it leaked on the drivers side and passenger side pillars . I have been looking around on the various corvette suppliers web sites and found that there seams to be different price ranges for the front window weatherstrip. Some of the suppliers list two different price ranges. Does anyone know the difference between the quality of these items. Also do you need to use any adhesive with the weatherstrip. I removed the top channel on the window and used goof off to remove the adhesive from the top widow channel which worked very well but that was factory installed. The glass company did not even remove the residue from the old weatherstrip on the top window channel.

I went with Wilcox weatherstrip and couldn't be happier, great quality. Make sure you clean the channels well. I didn't use any adhesive and have had no leaks to date, just take your time.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Czarvtte
Advanced

Wow...you actually found a company that would replace the glass? No one in my area wants to touch replacing my front glass....says the company won't let them. Not sure why but haven't found a company yet....think i'm gonna have to find a retired glass installer to do it..lol!

I'm ordering my a-pillar for front glass from Wilcox...heard the quality was awesome and American made for around $110. Also, I've heard both ways with adhesive...some use it and some don't. Think I may opt to use a little. Just my .02!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I just ordered the full kit from Wilcox and waiting for delivery. Over the years many have been happy with the quality of it, so decided to go with them. They had a 20% off coupon last week, so saved some dough.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 AM
fourkidscrazy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bac22
I just ordered the full kit from Wilcox and waiting for delivery. Over the years many have been happy with the quality of it, so decided to go with them. They had a 20% off coupon last week, so saved some dough.
Great thanks for the info. I did see Wilcox web site, I'll give them a try. A rock hit the window last year and put a big crack in it. The insurance company paid for it. Even with the life time warranty, I wasn't impressed with the quality of the workmanship.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 weatherstrip replacement

Quick Reply: 1996 weatherstrip replacement