C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Styling opinion..............

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Styling opinion..............

Just my opinion, but one of the major dislikes I have with Vettes from '97 on up is that they look too stubby. The C-4's with their low-slung front ends look way better than anything since, including the C-7 that it seems everybody is gushing about (wait a few years and you'll hear all the bad stuff about the C-7). I'm also not nuts about the fat a$$ look of the newer Vettes, probably necessary in order to have a trunk. They are too "thick" looking compared to our graceful C-4's. But it seems that stylists hop on the bandwagon just like the competition. You'll see other (inferior) performance cars showing the same "thick" look. A little heavy-handed, IMO.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
Just my opinion, but one of the major dislikes I have with Vettes from '97 on up is that they look too stubby. The C-4's with their low-slung front ends look way better than anything since, including the C-7 that it seems everybody is gushing about (wait a few years and you'll hear all the bad stuff about the C-7). I'm also not nuts about the fat a$$ look of the newer Vettes, probably necessary in order to have a trunk. They are too "thick" looking compared to our graceful C-4's. But it seems that stylists hop on the bandwagon just like the competition. You'll see other (inferior) performance cars showing the same "thick" look. A little heavy-handed, IMO.
Yeah, what is with the huge back end? Not only on Vettes but also on many modern cars. Mustangs, camaros and challengers in particular. Apparently important design people think it looks good. Personally I don't. The backside of my C4 is a dirt magnet. I can only imagine what 2-3x the surface area would be like!

I think the styling of the C7 helps break up the back more so than previous years. And I like the angular lines on the rest of the car.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
zmm1990
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4's are the best looking in my opinion. Small and sleek. The C7's do have some good angles. I recently saw a picture of a C6 sitting next to a C4, the C4 just looked better. The C6 looked bloated and was too tall.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

ZMM, "too tall" is another way of me saying "too thick". I do like some of the C-7 features but I feel that was too much, too soon. They remind me of kids "transformer" toys with all the angles. The taillights are OK but not on a Vette. I do like the looks from the side except the previously mentioned stubby nose. Some of the engineering features I'm not criticizing, just baffled at. What is the purpose of a convertible top that can be lowered at 30 mph? I have a ragtop and it takes very little time to pull over and pull up the top in case of sudden rain, so why the 30 mph feature? I'm curious about that. Anybody have any opinions?

I do realize styles have to change. As much as we like C-4's, if they made them for 15 years the look would get stale, and not smart from a marketing point of view.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
The backside of my C4 is a dirt magnet. I can only imagine what 2-3x the surface area would be like.
The C6 backside is the ultimate dirt magnet, collecting about 10X the crap my C4 does.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wezel
The C6 backside is the ultimate dirt magnet, collecting about 10X the crap my C4 does.
F105 guy...I find it a toss up...but either way an OK problem to have
Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I prefer the C5 down.. Contemporary Corvettes should have hide-a-way headlights, imo..

I like the C4's lines.. I think a sports car should be a little boxy.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny But I own one C2 alonge with three C3's one C4 and one C5.... and to be honest the C4 was in my opinion, never ever the best looking one ... To be frank it still is not (my Midyear still wins) BUT over the years I have come to really like the way my C4 (88 35th ANC) looks ... iIt has moved WAY up my own scale in the looks department anyway... Performance is another matter mostly because this is the only automatic Corvette I won...

Bottom line it just looks "right" ...still a pain to get in and out of however (70 year old farts like me are not quite as flexible as we were even 10 years ago...

Bob G

Get notified of new replies

To Styling opinion..............

Quick Reply: Styling opinion..............