C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood Scoop,c4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Dbenci727
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Scoop,c4

Hi all, recently I have been looking at the threads to see what people have done about hood scoops and the reasons why.
After checking things out I went ahead and added my hood scoop. I used a 40" Camaro SS scoop that I think really fits with the car, I also did not want to emulate the C6 grand sport.. I wanted a look that's slightly muscle car and yet pleasing to the eye that actually works as well. I have posted the Photos in my album. Corvette Specialty of San Diego did the work , along with quality and care the project was done at a very reasonable price. I posted the photos because I was interested on how this is done, people don't really talk about it in the forums, they just show finished product.
I had adjustments made to the car, replaced two amps, installed speakers bought on EBay, and the scoop for $1300.00. and it was done with care and I wasn't upsold on anything.

Last edited by Dbenci727; 03-22-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: did not read right
Old 03-23-2014, 02:15 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default pictures please

could i get a picture of your scoop install thanks, gary g_jorgensen@msn.com<div style="margin:1rem; margin-top:...</div> </div>
Originally Posted by ch@0s
[/IMG]
Old 03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Dbenci727
7th Gear

Default Hood scoop,C4

hey guys,
still learning this posting stuff, you can see the whole thing in my photo album. its set public.
Thanks
Dennis
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2014, 08:05 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Seriously hood scoop on a corvette?

Well everyone can do to their corvette what they want.

The only hood scoops i have ever liked on a corvette is on the Callaway corvette. But hey it's just my taste.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Wise man, that Yoda
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Gerard, I'm getting the Callaways for my '96 vert. Nice thing about them is that they look like they could have been factory, not stuck on. Now I'm NOT knocking Dbenci's scoop. I like it b/c it reminds me of the mid-year hoods. I'd like to see his car in white with a black stripe.....Just my opinion......I like black & white.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Dbenci727
7th Gear

hi all ,
in time I plan on having the car repainted polo green, right now the primer black is ok until I truly figure out what I want.it's truly is a work in progress, I am the third owner and the only one that has taken a real interest other than just driving it.The rehab is about 30 percent done and once its ready some street cross fun is in its future.... after the LT4 upgrade that I am planning, the complete kit from Edelbrock with new cam as well, published 400 hp. is what they say on web site. I want it to be a daily driver as well and I think that's a nice number.
During a heater core replacement that I did my self, (next time to the shop with it)I had some dash work done as well with the help of Jodi at Vettaid. and yes there is a module for cruse control, on the way.
I am happy to report that the scoop is doing what I had hoped for the operational temp is staying between 150 and 180. and I am getting no codes, I let the car warm up to 180 so the cpu comes to life and car runs at its best. as far as wet weather I have my z71 and a few ideas bouncing around in my brain at the moment.
Attached Images     
Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 AM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by Dbenci727
hi all ,
in time I plan on having the car repainted polo green, right now the primer black is ok until I truly figure out what I want.it's truly is a work in progress, I am the third owner and the only one that has taken a real interest other than just driving it.The rehab is about 30 percent done and once its ready some street cross fun is in its future.... after the LT4 upgrade that I am planning, the complete kit from Edelbrock with new cam as well, published 400 hp. is what they say on web site. I want it to be a daily driver as well and I think that's a nice number.
During a heater core replacement that I did my self, (next time to the shop with it)I had some dash work done as well with the help of Jodi at Vettaid. and yes there is a module for cruse control, on the way.
I am happy to report that the scoop is doing what I had hoped for the operational temp is staying between 150 and 180. and I am getting no codes, I let the car warm up to 180 so the cpu comes to life and car runs at its best. as far as wet weather I have my z71 and a few ideas bouncing around in my brain at the moment.
Love you replacement dashboard ... very nice!!! Your post will be very much appreciated by those (like me) who have a later model C4 and are looking for something to replace the dreaded digital speedo. I checked out your vendor (Vettaid) and found that they now have replacement gauge panels for later C4's (1990-1996). God really does love Corvettes. Thank You!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Debenci, I thought the primer stripe was permanent, that's why I commented on black & white.
What gets wet under the hood if you're caught in the rain? I was hesitating to make my scoops functional for fear of getting the wrong stuff wet.
Any idea of how much one of those replacement panels might cost?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
Love you replacement dashboard ... very nice!!! Your post will be very much appreciated by those (like me) who have a later model C4 and are looking for something to replace the dreaded digital speedo. I checked out your vendor (Vettaid) and found that they now have replacement gauge panels for later C4's (1990-1996). God really does love Corvettes. Thank You!!!
I'm sure he does!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
I was hesitating to make my scoops functional for fear of getting the wrong stuff wet.
I cut my hood to recess the scoop down/flush, 'stick-on' look is totally avoided...the new 'joint' is above the underhood reinf ribs, underhood lights deleted and holes sealed, and 'casual water' drains to the OEM drain holes at the front of the hood reinf ribs...probly overkill as the stealership 'techs' are trained to 'mist heavy' underhood with garden hose to check for elec gremblims.

do NOT attempt to 'bond' a scoop onto the SMC oem hood as it will crack/split after a short while
Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Dbenci727
7th Gear

Hi all

One of my biggest concerns was water getting into places you don't want it to. That is a big reason as to why the rehab started in the first place. All the weather seals on this car were cracked and worn out . the only original ones left are the wheel well / inner door seals.
They were replaced by Corvette Specialties, I did them in two parts, I think total cost was less than 400 bucks and Dave uses ones that fit real good. It was cheaper to just have Dave do it all than buy the kit and then have his guys do it.
So my resolve is to install a Aluminum door to the inside of the intake, kinda what you would see on a Mig-29 when it taxies. as it starts to rain real good I will hit a switch. I think it will be mounted on my dash or possibly a repurposed one on the now useless info center cluster. I will employ a RC servo to actuate the door and since its low volt and they are pretty water/dust tight as well I will pull power from the under hood lights.
I had the inlet placed in the location that it is because I did not want to expose the opti spark and generator to direct inflow. I wanted to avoid cavitation /disrupted air flow or the creation of a high pressure point in on or under hood.The whole idea was (is) to dump cool air down around the back of engine compartment so it would reduce the operating/running heat exchange with the cabin.
the one component that is exposed is the oil psi sensor, this is a simple potential switch that has no digital or motorized components. My thoughts were that under normal conditions the motor can get pretty wet just by ground effect as well as 99% of the fittings are water tight and they can and do survive direct contact with water.
I think that I am pretty lucky being in SoCal, and that I am not trying to turn the car into a Sub...yet.
I will just have to keep up the maintenance as far as keeping things clean, periodic steam cleaning along with simple green "purple" will help as far as grime build up. I was thinking of a possible filter but I don't know...I am open to ideas because that's how we all learn reading the forums has helped me a lot.
I got the scoop searching E-bay and online, once I found the one I liked it cost about $80 bucks with shipping. they are in Florida I believe.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Racod
Instructor

I love the gauges...I checked the site and did not see one for a 1990 style dash.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Dbenci727
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
Debenci, I thought the primer stripe was permanent, that's why I commented on black & white.
What gets wet under the hood if you're caught in the rain? I was hesitating to make my scoops functional for fear of getting the wrong stuff wet.
Any idea of how much one of those replacement panels might cost?
Oh, no worries on the paint, I was actually thinking of white stripes with black trim or reversed black with white trim, or even a total recolor. I think the Callaway inlets are for the twin turbo, but if you place them in same spot you are in the low pressure zone on the hood..that's probably why they put them there as well, I would think its best for the turbo to pull what it wants than force feed it.. I really think its just the oil sender, I actually sat for about an hour one day with the hood open thinking about it.
I have seen a 2010 zo6 that had a inlet dump just past the throttle body and he never has had any problems.. so I believe its really how bad is the water flow. garden hose or spray etc.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Dbenci727
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Racod
I love the gauges...I checked the site and did not see one for a 1990 style dash.
He's got them, you have a L98 right? that was the first one he did, mine was the first LT1.
I think I got a photo of the 90...
yeah and this dash has a shift light on it as well
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by Dbenci727
He's got them, you have a L98 right? that was the first one he did, mine was the first LT1.
I think I got a photo of the 90...
yeah and this dash has a shift light on it as well
I sent an email to Vettaid to which Jody responded saying they can make a replacement dashboard for any C4 using pretty much any of the gauges available from Autometer ... and the Autometer website has some VERY nice gauges both analog and digital. My only concern is whether I'll be able to perform the installation.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Scoop,c4

Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Redrose, do they really spray water to check for electrical problems? Hard to believe! Anyway, I don't like the look of "stick on" stuff. It has to look like it could have been OEM or it won't get done at all. No bonding for me either. I don't want some half a$$ looking job. If it's determined that the job is beyond me then a pro shop will do it.

Dbenci, I'm in Texas which isn't really known for its rain either, but good point about ground effect water on the engine. Will an r/c servo work on 12v? Usually they operate in the 4v - 6v range.

The "God" plate reminded me that the C-7 doesn't really have a good place to mount a front plate if you're required to have one, or are and don't .
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

so in these pictures of the late model Vettaid Dashes, what is the switch for?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Gauges

I really like that gauge setup, not too much of a fan of the digital type display in the C4's. Grew up with gauges and still like them.

I'm not much of a scoop fan (other than maybe the old Hemi Cuda's) so really can't say much on that other than if you like it, that's all that counts.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop,c4