C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking for some help for a non corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM
guno89
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking for some help for a non corvette

2008 focus on going issue. Turn the key dash lights come on but car wont turn over. Engine makes no sound just dead silence, I mess with it a few times could take 2 could take 5-6x eventually the car starts today the car won't start.

I don't think it's the starter usually when from my experience when they stop working they die slowly and the cranking times start to take longer. This car never did that it either started or it didn't. Any one have any insight possible ignition issue?

Im asking here cause the focus forums are terrible. This is my brothers car. He took my Corvette to work w/o asking since he claimed it was an "emergency" today. Risk I run for leaving at my moms due to her having a garage and me not. He won't be pulling this crap again he can borrow my crashed mustang that I drive 1100 miles a year to my hockey/softball games and the train station.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by guno89
2008 focus on going issue. Turn the key dash lights come on but car wont turn over. Engine makes no sound just dead silence, I mess with it a few times could take 2 could take 5-6x eventually the car starts today the car won't start.

I don't think it's the starter usually when from my experience when they stop working they die slowly and the cranking times start to take longer. This car never did that it either started or it didn't. Any one have any insight possible ignition issue?

Im asking here cause the focus forums are terrible. This is my brothers car. He took my Corvette to work w/o asking since he claimed it was an "emergency" today. Risk I run for leaving at my moms due to her having a garage and me not. He won't be pulling this crap again he can borrow my crashed mustang that I drive 1100 miles a year to my hockey/softball games and the train station.
I would slap him around for taking your Vette WITHOUT asking! Sorry, but I don't know anything about Ford Focus cars. You should try posting in "the Other Cars" sub forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/other-cars-24/

You might have better luck there.

Last edited by prinzSD455; 03-03-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by guno89
.... Turn the key dash lights come on but car wont turn over. Engine makes no sound just dead silence, I mess with it a few times could take 2 could take 5-6x eventually the car starts today the car won't start.

If you are certain the battery is 'full', check the batt cables for tightness, then test the solenoid:http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Starter-Solenoid
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM
TERRY LEE
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just thinking to start by checking with Ford for any recalls or simple TSB's. They have a history of problems on several models with similar symptoms... could be an ignition interlock problem.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I had a symptom like that on my '86 Corvette. I drove to the auto parts store and when I came out the dash lights would light but when I tried to crank it they went out and nothing happened. Same with a jump.

It turned out to be a bad battery cable. The side terminal battery had leaked acid and it ate up the copper wire inside the cable.

Check the battery cables for tightness (both cables, both ends).
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont leave the keys in your Vette just in case there is another emergency.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Txbobcat
Dont leave the keys in your Vette just in case there is another emergency.
With no access to keys there would be "no save" in a catastrophic situation. I didn't see where the OP mentioned "keys in car"! Keys in car would be foolish.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 AM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This could be a problem with the PATS (Fords' version of VATS/Passkey security). If so, one reported workaround is to get out, close and lock the doors with your remote, then open the door with the key. This is (reportedly) supposed to reset the securilock circuit in the ECM. Another suggested work around would be to try the spare key (the one you're using may be damaged). The other usual suspects already mentioned, battery, battery cable to starter, starter solenoid, ignition switch, gear selector in park or neutral, nss, fuses, relays, etc.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 AM
guno89
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
With no access to keys there would be "no save" in a catastrophic situation. I didn't see where the OP mentioned "keys in car"! Keys in car would be foolish.
This is exactly why keys where there, in case the house goes on fire he can move the car to the street. It came home looking like hell salt all over it. I washed it in the garage then used detail spray. It sucked washing the car in 20 degree weather. I would of had him do it or help, I know if I did it, it would be done the way I wanted. Only I reason I didn't stab him with a kitchen knife is he had an interview with a big wig at his company in regards to a new position being created.

To the person that said Vats. The connection by the battery is painted, causing a a bad contact. I sanded it to bare metal and the flashing security light went away.

Last edited by guno89; 03-05-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for some help for a non corvette

Quick Reply: Looking for some help for a non corvette