Warrenty on OEM Bilstein Schocks or best replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 PM
BroHamDetroit
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrenty on OEM Bilstein Schocks or best replacements

hello all,

With all this talk about the C7 and seeing one at the Detroit Auto Show I figure it is time to get my 40th Anvs C4 back on the road. Along with other maintenance/repairs, the shocks are done.

Does any know or have any experience with getting the OEM Bilstien's replaced under warranty? (They are the non adjustable shocks) I remember when my C4 was new, the talk on the street was Bilstien had a life time replacement on the shocks and it's time.

If no warranty replacement, what are you recommendations for replacement shocks?

thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Todd

1993 40th C4 (first new car)
1976 GMC Motorchome
83 GMC Jimmy
84 Honda Goldwing
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would expect that the "Lifetime Warranty" would only cover defects in materials and workmanship. If they are just worn out, I would not expect Bilstein to replace them at no cost.

If they are original to the car, they would be covered under the terms of the vehicle warranty (long since gone) and again it would be only for materials and workmanship.

If you liked the ride you got from the Bilsteins, I would just buy another set. You can find them at Summit Racing, Jeg's, Vette Brakes, Vansteel, and the usual accessory catalogs.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
sledge_78
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I would expect that the "Lifetime Warranty" would only cover defects in materials and workmanship. If they are just worn out, I would not expect Bilstein to replace them at no cost.

If they are original to the car, they would be covered under the terms of the vehicle warranty (long since gone) and again it would be only for materials and workmanship.

If you liked the ride you got from the Bilsteins, I would just buy another set. You can find them at Summit Racing, Jeg's, Vette Brakes, Vansteel, and the usual accessory catalogs.
I did read some where, I think on the forum where Bilsteins could be returned to the factory for refurbishment. I'm sure there is a cost involved but would be far less than new replacements. Of course it would take longer I/m sure than just replacing them.

Sledge_78
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by BroHamDetroit
hello all,

With all this talk about the C7 and seeing one at the Detroit Auto Show I figure it is time to get my 40th Anvs C4 back on the road. Along with other maintenance/repairs, the shocks are done.

Does any know or have any experience with getting the OEM Bilstien's replaced under warranty? (They are the non adjustable shocks) I remember when my C4 was new, the talk on the street was Bilstien had a life time replacement on the shocks and it's time.

If no warranty replacement, what are you recommendations for replacement shocks?

thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Todd

1993 40th C4 (first new car)
1976 GMC Motorchome
83 GMC Jimmy
84 Honda Goldwing
With your location I believe I'd have a conversation with these folks regarding a "rebuild". I believe I'd rather a rebuild of the OE than an "off the shelf" product that is a result of "marketing and promotion" campaigns.

http://deltavee.net/
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by sledge_78
I did read some where, I think on the forum where Bilsteins could be returned to the factory for refurbishment. I'm sure there is a cost involved but would be far less than new replacements. Of course it would take longer I/m sure than just replacing them.

Sledge_78
Bilstein will rebuild shocks and they can also provide custom valving based on the need (autocross, track use, etc.). But for the most part, it will cost less to buy new than it would to have them rebuilt. I just got set of 4 Bilstein Z51-specific shocks for my '87 from Summit Racing and they were about $380 delivered.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

But for the most part, it will cost less to buy new than it would to have them rebuilt.
This is true; I used to live two miles from the Poway Bilstein distributor and priced a rebuild on my stock Bilsteins.
Bilstein has a good warranty on their AFTERMARKET units that does not extend to factory-installed units.

If you need to replace your C4's shocks and don't need adjustable KONI's or QA-1's, then replacement Bilsteins are the best value going.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Bilstein will rebuild shocks and they can also provide custom valving based on the need (autocross, track use, etc.). But for the most part, it will cost less to buy new than it would to have them rebuilt. I just got set of 4 Bilstein Z51-specific shocks for my '87 from Summit Racing and they were about $380 delivered.
The "confirmation" from Bilstein that these are valved and tuned as OE/GM I don't believe is displayed anywhere. They recommend one shock for base (B6) and their "sport" (B8) (I believe that's what the call it) for anything with the Z51 option. That marketing is done by most other "off the shelf" manufacturers also. Getting factual information from Bilstein "ain't" easy. They're in the business to "SELL shocks and their advertising/marketing using the description they publish seems to accomplish that. Quality product? Seems that quality can't be argued BUT as to content? Who knows!

Get notified of new replies

To Warrenty on OEM Bilstein Schocks or best replacements

Quick Reply: Warrenty on OEM Bilstein Schocks or best replacements