C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Goodbye - It's been a great experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodbye - It's been a great experience

I sold my '92 white on white convertible on Monday, with just 19,200 miles on it.

I loved the car, just as I had loved the '95 black on black convetible I had owned back in the day. Every day driving it was a treat.

But, I know that it is 22 year old car that will soon start needing maintenance and repairs on those sophisticated systems it has (FX3, Bose, etc) and those 22-year old gaskets, that I won't be well equipped to fund in the future at "Corvette Tax" rates and parts costs, as I wind down into retirement, nor am I equipped or skilled enough myself to do what will at some point be required. I knew that at some point I would be selling it, but I wanted to enjoy it as long as it made sense to do so.

Recently, I've had the opportunity to explore more seriously an idea I have had for a while - getting a really simple '32 or '34 Ford replica coupe, or "real" '32 or '34 coupe, with a non-computerized Chevy smallblock, a 700R4 tranny, a 9 inch Ford rear axle, 4-link rear, dropped axle front, heat, air conditioning, and not much more. No computer, no power accessories, just a simple plain but nice '32 or '34 that takes you back to basics in a body shape that is just gorgeous. I think that would make a GREAT retirement car.

I've been hanging around with a group of hot rodders and restorers who have been super helpful, because they've actually done what I am picturing, and appear to be having a blast. They have been filling my brain with what to look for, what to avoid, and where to look. And, it is one of them who bought my C4, because he and his wife both love it as much or more as I have. They are super excited to have it.

So, I've started a new adventure. I'm a little short of the funds I need to get the '32 or '34 I'd like, despite the simplicity of the target, because they are very costly, eevn when simple, when they've been built "right", but I'm currently doing contract IT project management work that is bringing in good bucks on a weekly basis, so I figure in 4 to 8 weeks, I'll be comfortably funded to get what I want.

You guys have been a GREAT source of information, inspiration, and help whenever I've needed it, and so I want to say: THANK-YOU. And, I'm sure some of us will meet "on the road" agan in the future, because that's what car guys do.

In the meantime, if you hear of the availability of a simple basic '32 or '34, even one that needs some work, as long as it's basically drivable in the short-term, shoot me a PM or an email: (JimGnitecki@gmail.com)

It can be coupe or convertible, but a true roadster is out simply because I have a skin condition that gets pretty aggravated in extreme heat or cold, so I need roof, windows, heat, and AC. Beyond that, even a radio is an unnecessary frill. The ideal dashboard would have a speedo, tach, 3 or 4 key gages, light switch, wiper switch, and heat/AC controls. No more.

Enjoy those C4s, guys. To me, they are despite their lower current market percpetion, the nicest Corvettes for both appearance and driving feel. Take care of them.

Jim G
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck Jim and I understand an agree that a hotrod is easier to trouble shoot and maintain. I've had muscle cars in the past and long for the days when it was less complicated to take care of a car.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good luck on your search and you could have always gotten a newer vette as we all know they never break down.

Last edited by FWC; 01-23-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Good luck and enjoy your retirement. I'm still looking for my 69 Charger R/T, if I can't find my old one I guess another will have to do.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Drew
Instructor

Good Luck Jim......I know exactly what you mean. I really love the Old simpler cars...Take Care
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

This is a good site:http://www.autotraderclassics.com/index.xhtml
Here is one example:

I also like www.countryclassiccars.com although it doesn't look like they have what you are looking for right now.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 501 Likes on 399 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Enjoy those C4s, guys. To me, they are despite their lower current market percpetion, the nicest Corvettes for both appearance and driving feel. Take care of them.

You said it

Good luck on your search!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck to you. I have old cars 64 to 72 as well as the Vette. I can do near anything on them.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here is info on a new 32 Ford steel body being produced by a Ford-endorsed vendor:
http://www.carsandparts.com/Articles...&utm_campaign=
Old 01-24-2014, 11:51 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

Good luck, and enjoy your retirement, Jim. Have enjoyed mine for 27 years, and counting. Your car hobby will keep your mind active, and
increase your socializing..... all good things.

(hoping your new 'rod' doesn't have an opti)

Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

The new owner and his wife are really enjoying the C4! She even came out to the garage last Saturday when he was shining it up for the Sunday morning local hotrodders gathering in Fort Worth (which I too attended), and "advised and directed" him on exactly how to do it! He seemed so taken with the unexpected and delightful wifely support that he did everything she told him to do!

My wife is super supportive of my desire for a simpler car like a '32 or '34 coupe, but also wants me to consider building one myself, either a fenderless '32 or '34, or a kit car like the Factory Five '33 Hot Rod. She thinks the Factory Five is worth taking a serious look at, since it would be a brand new car front to back, handles like a track car, can accept a variety of engines and transmissions, and if I built it myself, which is realistic for that car, I'd know it backwards and forwards, and she says I really need "a project" that I could enjoy. So, I'm considering all my options!

Jim G
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Factory Five cars are very nice and your wife sounds like one smart woman so congratulations on having a great partner.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM
C6-Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

You wil be back
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
Factory Five cars are very nice and your wife sounds like one smart woman so congratulations on having a great partner.
Sounds like you have a keeper..
Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 AM
0carjock9
Intermediate

I have done just the opposite of what you are doing. I spent the better part of 40 years restoring/modifying/driving. and thoroughly enjoying MANY older cars.....hot rods to muscle cars and a lot of stuff in between. But they are a LOT of work....different work than a newer car, but a lot of work (a lot of it the same type of work though). I have now started buying newer, low mileage, sporty type cars and am finding them far more manageable and less hassle than the older cars. The newer cars have a lot of electronics that can cause trouble, OR, help identify trouble that you are having. Plus parts and service are readily available, and I have found the work on such cars (my '95 Vette included) is a lot less "physically demanding" than the "heavy lifting" involved with the older rigs....works good for my poor old arthritic/aging body (lol). But mine is just another point of view and I know that there is a lot of fun to be had in building your own hot rod from the ground up! Have fun!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the very best on your retirement Jim, I really hope you find what your looking for real soon, something to keep you smiling for many years to come..
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with your new project - I can certainly understand your reasoning for selling the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye - It's been a great experience

Quick Reply: Goodbye - It's been a great experience