Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I feel very comfortable with where the car is now. I got a little panicky when it wouldn't start and then the volts were low. Lesson learned on those cigarette lighter compressors.

I just hope the roads are clear when we leave Thursday night. We're in the middle of a snow storm, expecting up to 10" and it's gonna stay cold.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Red L98
I feel very comfortable with where the car is now. I got a little panicky when it wouldn't start and then the volts were low. Lesson learned on those cigarette lighter compressors.

I just hope the roads are clear when we leave Thursday night. We're in the middle of a snow storm, expecting up to 10" and it's gonna stay cold.
Im in the state next to you (WV) with similar snow totals expected.. I don't know if you have had any experience driving a C4 in the snow, but one thing I can tell you is, they don't handle snow very well, it depends on what tires you have, but generally they don't handle as well as most other cars...If you have High Performance Summer Tires, the rubber in these get rock hard in winter and don't grip worth a damn.....just be careful....WW

Last edited by WW7; 01-21-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Only good thing about Florida. NO SNOW!

All we have is rain which usually is not too bad.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by WW7
Im in the state next to you (WV) with similar snow totals expected.. I don't know if you have had any experience driving a C4 in the snow but one thing I can tell you is, they don't handle snow very well, it depends on what tires you have, but generally they don't handle as well as most other cars...If you have High Performance Summer Tires, the rubber in these get rock hard in winter and don't grip worth a damn.....just be careful....WW
Thanks, brother.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live practically next door to you. When we had that cold spell a couple of weeks ago my battery actually died out, but the car fired up after putting it on the charger for an hour or so. Idle then was around 13.7 V to 13.9 V. Since it was 5 years anyway, I replaced said battery this weekend. At idle following a cold start, my car now reads between 14.2 V and 14.7 V. After it warms up, it will drop to around 13.7 V and stay there until the car starts moving, at which point (highway speed) it will return to 14.7 V.

I would say that your car is behaving normally.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

So the other day I started a thread about taking a 1,200 mile round trip to Georgia. This post is related, but a separate issue. I took down the spare and lubed the screw as one poster suggested. Air pressure was low, as were the two left side tires. I used one of those compressors that plug into the cigarette lighter to inflate the three tires. Took a good 20 or more minutes to get them back to spec.

The car hadn't been started for a couple of weeks before except taking her out of the garage to check the spare and inflate the tires. When i went to start her up, the battery was drained and I had to jump it. No problem there, but I noticed the volts on the dash readout were in the 13.4 to 13.7/8 range. Normally, its in the low 14s. I changed the alternator last summer, so it's relatively new. The battery is less than two years old. I let it idle and went on a short trip, only about eight miles maybe, to run an errand. Started right back up, but volts still in the 13s. Is this because the battery is being charged back up? Should I be worried? It stays in the garage and it's been relatively cold, but not ridiculously so. Needless to say, I packed a set of jumper cables for the trip.

Thanks in advance for all the sage advice.
Problems of this nature point me to the battery. Had an Interstate Battery fail after 2 years. The problem is heat, and we all know that c4s run hot. Also many people don't know that batteries are sold for northern climes and southern climes. They are marked N or S, so if you have a northern battery and are running it in FL. it will probably not last very long. If you live in the transition zone then it's a tough call which one to buy and you may not have a choice anyway.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by auggy
Problems of this nature point me to the battery. Had an Interstate Battery fail after 2 years. The problem is heat, and we all know that c4s run hot. Also many people don't know that batteries are sold for northern climes and southern climes. They are marked N or S, so if you have a northern battery and are running it in FL. it will probably not last very long. If you live in the transition zone then it's a tough call which one to buy and you may not have a choice anyway.
Had no issues with the battery/charging system, but I did have a blow out that I'm creating a separated thread on.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Just to add...

The alternators in our cars are not intended to be used to charge a dead battery: like playing "Russian Roulette" (especially on a summer day - not summer now, I realize). Tiz always best to use a charger unless circumstances require you to "spin the cylinder and pull the trigger!"
Russian Roulette? I think that is a gross exaggeration. While this does place a heavy load on the alternator, the thing IS designed to be able to manage that. To me "russian roulette" implies that (who knows what) might happen. So we have the facts right, an alternator is perfectly capable of charging a dead battery. Using a home charger removes that work load from the alternator, but the alternator can do it.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Russian Roulette? I think that is a gross exaggeration. While this does place a heavy load on the alternator, the thing IS designed to be able to manage that. To me "russian roulette" implies that (who knows what) might happen. So we have the facts right, an alternator is perfectly capable of charging a dead battery. Using a home charger removes that work load from the alternator, but the alternator can do it.
Sorry Tom, but all sources disagree with you. I have read many times in automotive books that using the alternator to charge a dead battery can kill it by overheating .Alternators are meant to maintain fully charged or almost fully charged batterys, not charge them up from a low state. Here are 2 examples I found with a quick search, there are many more online from various automotive companys... I also have read the same thing in a few of the Corvette books I own... WW

Here's an article by Optima batterys:
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...ead-batteries/

And a company that builds alternators.....
http://www.electricbob.com/alt_tips.html

Last edited by WW7; 01-27-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by WW7
Sorry Tom, but all sources disagree with you. I have read many times in automotive books that using the alternator to change a dead battery can kill it by overheating .Alternators are meant to maintain fully charged or almost fully charged batterys, not charge them up from a low state.
I am inclined to agree. I took out the installation instructions from the alternator I replaced a year or so ago. It says:

"The battery is the most important component of the electrical system. A bad or undercharged battery will cause premature alternator failure. A fully charged battery will have a voltage reading of 12.6 volts or higher. In order for the alternator to function properly, the battery must have a minimum voltage reading of 12.4 volts (75%) or higher."
Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
michiganlarry
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good way to test your alternator. It has to have a load on it to be a good test:

There is a simple way to check the alternator. All you need is an inexpensive voltmeter.

First, read the voltage across the battery terminals. It should read about 12.6 volts. If it is lower than 12.2, you must charge the battery before you continue.

Second, start the engine and observe the voltage, it should INCREASE to 13.5 to 15 volts (depending on the vehicle, temperature, and several other factors).

Third, turn on the lights and A/C-heater fan on high. These are the two biggest electrical loads you can add. Now raise the engine speed to a little above idle and observe the voltage. If the alternator is working, it should maintain a voltage ABOVE 13. Some vehicles will read higher.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I am inclined to agree. I took out the installation instructions from the alternator I replaced a year or so ago. It says:

"The battery is the most important component of the electrical system. A bad or undercharged battery will cause premature alternator failure. A fully charged battery will have a voltage reading of 12.6 volts or higher. In order for the alternator to function properly, the battery must have a minimum voltage reading of 12.4 volts (75%) or higher."
It's a little funny that you're tell me how alternators work, when you started this thread by asking if 13.x volts was O.K. or not. As a tech of over 20 years, I'll repeat what I said earlier. "The alternator can do it". Of course it's "more work" for the alternator and yes, that MAY shorten it's life. It may not either -there are too many factors to comment in absolute terms. Factors that you don't know of or understand -obvious by your first post in this thread.
Anyway, my position (that the alternator can do it) is a far, FAR cry from "playing Russian Roulette"...which was the basis for my original comment. The alternator CAN DO IT. It may not be the ideal situation...but it can do it.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-27-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
It's good that you can read, and quote other peoples thoughts...but as a tech of over 20 years, I'll repeat what I said earlier. "The alternator can do it". Of course it's "more work" for the alternator, and yes, that MAY shorten it's life. It may not either -there are too many factors to comment in absolute terms. Factors that you don't know of or understand -obvious by your first post in this thread, where you didn't know if 13.x volts was O.K. or not.
^Anyway, my position (that the alternator can do it) is a far, FAR cry from "playing Russian Roulette"...which was the basis for my original comment. The alternator CAN DO IT. It may not be the ideal situation...but it can do it.
No worries bro. I ain't the most tech savvy person or wrench turner on the forum by any stretch. I'm just glad the 1,200 mile trip went without a hitch, other than the aforementioned tire blow out. I wasn't stranded and I think it's thanks in part to the forum that the trip was a success.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I am glad that your trip went safely too. I saw your blow out thread/pics and was happy that you came out of that O.K. I had a similar experience in mine...it CAN get sketchy depending on speed, road, which tire, etc.

Quick Reply: Should I Be Worried?