C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lucas Synthetic 75w-90

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:27 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Lucas Synthetic 75w-90

I don't see many of you out there talking about Lucas differential gear oil. I see a lot of Red Line, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 users. I was always of the understanding that the Lucas products stood up just as good as the above mentioned. Also no need for limited slip additive. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:12 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, it would be interesting if someone would chime in, I'm curious as well.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think it's a matter of personal preference for gear oil. For the diff in my '87, I use a good grade of GL-5 rated 80W-90 gear oil and the GM Posi additive. For my '02, I use Mobil-1 products; synthetic ATF in the trans and synthetic 75W-90 for the diff.

One benefit is that I can get them all locally. Never had any lubrication-related issues.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by SoAlVette
I don't see many of you out there talking about Lucas differential gear oil. I see a lot of Red Line, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 users. I was always of the understanding that the Lucas products stood up just as good as the above mentioned. Also no need for limited slip additive. Thoughts?
I don't see anything in the Lucas "propaganda" that mentions "no additive required" for limited-slip" it only mentions - "super slick" and "resists squeezing out". I don't think I overlooked it. Maybe?

There's absolutely no reason that it should be considered less than desirable but for some the availability might be a challenge and it's not advertised to the extent that others are. I've a friend who uses many Lucas products - he also I believe collects some "contingency monies" also. Sometimes that requires more than just "the decal"!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

This is what they say on their website:

This Lucas pure synthetic gear oil is a super-slick, long-lasting lubricant that is designed especially for heavy-duty or high performance applications where regular gear lubricants just aren't good enough. It contains a special additive package that increases lubricity and insures less gear noise and longer bearing life. Lucas pure synthetic gear oil is also designed to stand up to high temperatures without losing its lubricity, making it excellent for use in limited slip differentials.

I guess that means no additive is needed. It was my understanding that all synthetic gear oils do not need an additive.

Last edited by SoAlVette; 01-18-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This Lucas pure synthetic gear oil is a super-slick, long-lasting lubricant that is designed especially for heavy-duty or high performance applications where regular gear lubricants just aren't good enough. It contains a special additive package that increases lubricity and insures less gear noise and longer bearing life. Lucas pure synthetic gear oil is also designed to stand up to high temperatures without losing its lubricity, making it excellent for use in limited slip differentials.

I guess that means no additive is needed. It was my understanding that all synthetic gear oils do not need an additive.

I don't think that this is correct IMHO. I've always used Amsoil products in my engine, trans and rear diff but I still put the GM additive in the rear diff. I tried it without the additive first .... however when taking a sharp 90 degree turn I was getting tire chatter .... after the additive no chatter. Just my experience. I've never had any lubrication problems with any amsoil products.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

From "THEIR" web-site:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=12&loc=show

It appears that you've maybe created the making it excellent for use in limited slip differentials

Did I pick the incorrect product? You mentioned Synthetic 75W-90

Do they have maybe "multiple web-sites" with different product descriptions? If so. Why? There's a good bit of a good many things that are "assumed".

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-19-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM
SoAlVette
Racer

Got that from the summit website. You are correct, different descriptions at different locations, makes you wonder
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I don't think that this is correct IMHO. I've always used Amsoil products in my engine, trans and rear diff but I still put the GM additive in the rear diff. I tried it without the additive first .... however when taking a sharp 90 degree turn I was getting tire chatter .... after the additive no chatter. Just my experience. I've never had any lubrication problems with any amsoil products.
I think that regardless of the brand selected for diff fluid, it's a simple matter of installing it and driving the car and see how it works. If there is chatter, add some Posi additive.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

My differential builder told me to stay away from synthetic oils, and to use Lucas 85W140 on the differential. I've been using Lucas 85W140 on all Vettes with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Lucas Synthetic 75w-90

Quick Reply: Lucas Synthetic 75w-90