C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Any Issues With Using Hugger Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Any Issues With Using Hugger Headers

Has anyone used This Headers? If so are there any issues with them being so close to the block. I know they are made to be close, That is why they call them Huggers,but I have only seen them on open engine compartment cars and don't know of anyone that have used them.I'm guessing they will come close to the oil filter and starter as well as being about an inch from the block at the collector area.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Those just look like shorty headers. They won't provide you with as much horsepower and torque gains as a long tube headers.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
Has anyone used This Headers?
Why are you considering them?
They are typically only used because of clearance issues on cars with a narrow frames like hot rods

You don't state what year you are talking about but the factory manifolds on L98's are almost identical to huggers anyway
the short pipes only give a free flow , there is no tuned length like on a full length long tube header (which is a easy fit in a C4 )

Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend using huggers on your C4. As others have said, huggers are a "last resort" solution for hot rods with very narrow engine comaprtments, where nothing else will fit once you stuff in a V8 where the original engine was an inline 4, 6, or 8 (yes, there were plenty of inline 8s in pre 1950s cars). The extra heat the huggers will bring in close proximity to your block, sparkplug wires, starter, etc can't possibly be good for the durability of heat-sensitive components, like electronics.

Jim G
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

From his profile, he has a '99 and an '08. I agree that long tube headers are a much better deal for LSx motors unless he has to keep the cats for emissions and/or visual inspections. Shorty headers just won't provide enough of a gain for the money and work involved.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dale002
Has anyone used This Headers? If so are there any issues with them being so close to the block. I know they are made to be close, That is why they call them Huggers,but I have only seen them on open engine compartment cars and don't know of anyone that have used them.I'm guessing they will come close to the oil filter and starter as well as being about an inch from the block at the collector area.
I used Shorty Hugger's on my L98 rebuild; the reason I used them was they are inexpensive and didn't have all the egr stuff on them. With that said I did have to take a hammer to them to get some clearance on the passenger side by the A/C box on the firewall and also on the drivers side for the steering knuckle.

For me this was a temporary solution to get my new motor thru the break in phase, I am really looking to replace my current shortys with a set of SS Polished Tru-Ram's from Speedway motors.

Best of Luck
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
From his profile, he has a '99 and an '08. I agree that long tube headers are a much better deal for LSx motors unless he has to keep the cats for emissions and/or visual inspections. Shorty headers just won't provide enough of a gain for the money and work involved.
I no longer own any C6s.Still have the 99,78,62 and a 85 that was purchase to use as a donor car for my 62 build. The shorty header came un installed with the 85. I still have the drive train out of the 85 and was considering installing it on the 78 since the 78 does not have the original engine in it and its a fuel hog! Thought about using the headers for that installation.
Before I started taking apart the 85,I drove it for over a month and was averaging 24 mpg. Thought that would be a inexpensive way to improve drive ability of the 78. I rarely drive the 78, mostly my wife does. I really purchase it for her.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Issues With Using Hugger Headers

Quick Reply: Any Issues With Using Hugger Headers