C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

stero

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
italianrick
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stero

Ok any thoughts on top of the line pioneer stero and speakers. My wife bought me a pioneer steroids supose ton top of the line. Before I install it in my 95 I would like some opinions on it. Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM
italianrick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by italianrick
Ok any thoughts on top of the line pioneer stero and speakers. My wife bought me a pioneer steroids supose ton top of the line. Before I install it in my 95 I would like some opinions on it. Thanks
I meant stero not steroids
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stereo.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 AM
italianrick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dukeallen
Stereo.
Thanks for the spelling lesson but not helpful. I smartA$$
Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any aftermarket head unit, is better than the stock audio system!...
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the spelling lesson but not helpful. I smartA$$
Information is easier to come by if you spell it correctly and can be understood. You're welcome.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

If you give us any useful information you can get a useful answer. Maybe a model number and a bit of description, instead of "My wife bought me a pioneer steroids supose ton top of the line". What the hell is that?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Most of the time any new stereo system will sound better than the stock system. It often is cheaper to replace the Bose system than repair it (most of them sooner or later will need the amps rebuilt) Plus you will have features only dreamed about in 1995.

For instance, I have a 1996 and the rear speaker amps were going bad. I could have replaced the capacitors myself pretty cheaply but I would still have had a '90s stereo. Instead, I replaced it with a Pioneer stereo that had HD radio, aux input and USB input. It was about $100.00. After researching what was good and on sale, I replaced the speakers and ran new wire. With the wire and adapter from Crutchfield, I spent about $300.00. It sounds much better and I loaded up a 32GB USB with music and put away the CDs.

Since your wife went all in and bought you a much higher end stereo system - it will be much, much better than you already have. Just an FYI - you will need a Metra adapter to interface the new stereo to the power and antenna for your car.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last month I bought a kenwood KDC610U from Walmart for 139 plus tax. I had already replaced my speakers. I also added a kicker 10 inch sub and used two old amps I had laying in the garage that were given to me as bad. Bottom line, I have less than 250 bucks in my audio system and it blows away the factory cassette deck. Now days it doesn't take a ton of money to get great sound and performance from a car stero.

Anyway, if your replacing the stereo and still have the factory bose speakers you will probably need to replace them, unless someone on the forum knows how to use speakers with non-bose head unit? I don't and simply replaced my speakers years ago.

Congrats on the new stereo, you will enjoy the sound while rollin.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Vesidian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beerme
Last month I bought a kenwood KDC610U from Walmart for 139 plus tax. I had already replaced my speakers. I also added a kicker 10 inch sub and used two old amps I had laying in the garage that were given to me as bad. Bottom line, I have less than 250 bucks in my audio system and it blows away the factory cassette deck. Now days it doesn't take a ton of money to get great sound and performance from a car stero.

Anyway, if your replacing the stereo and still have the factory bose speakers you will probably need to replace them, unless someone on the forum knows how to use speakers with non-bose head unit? I don't and simply replaced my speakers years ago.

Do you remember what speakers you went with? Did you have to run new speaker wires?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by beerme

You can buy a wiring harness that will allow you to use Bose speakers with the head unit. I wouldn't recommend it because of a loud, annoying pop which comes from the speakers each time you turn the unit on/off.

You don't have to run new wires, but you will be better off, and the installation will be much cleaner if you do.

Last edited by csthews; 12-30-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vesidian
Do you remember what speakers you went with? Did you have to run new speaker wires?
I went with Sony explode series speakers. 5.25 in the doors are 3 way and the 6x9's behind the seat are 4 way speakers. I think I bought at walmart back in 08 and I paid 39 for fronts and 49 for rear's.

I didn't run any new wire just reused what was there. Earlier this month when I installed the amps though I had to run new wire to the back speakers and went with monster wire for them.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 AM
ukrocketeer
1st Gear

Default ukrocketeer

Hey italianrick as long as your out there trying to get an answer to your question don't let the smart ones bug you I am a Junior so what? my vette is just like everyone else s, we love them but they are a pain to work on .Guess who this is
Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Rick, you will probably find more information on the Forum's Stereo/Electronics page:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-electronics-20/
Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 PM
italianrick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
If you give us any useful information you can get a useful answer. Maybe a model number and a bit of description, instead of "My wife bought me a pioneer steroids supose ton top of the line". What the hell is that?
thanks for all the great info. Hey rocketeer going for a ride this weekend on that slow no tq rocket of yours. Lol
Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
italianrick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ukrocketeer
Hey italianrick as long as your out there trying to get an answer to your question don't let the smart ones bug you I am a Junior so what? my vette is just like everyone else s, we love them but they are a pain to work on .Guess who this is
hey rich r u going for a ride this weekend on your slow no TQ bike (rocket 3) lol this weekend
Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
italianrick
Heel & Toe

To those who gave great info. I thank you
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

I just installed a pioneer avh-x4600bt in my 94. I had to remove a little bit of the trim to make it fit, but it looks great and sounds awesome. I replaced the back speakers w/ 6x9 kevlar woven z-stat coaxials and pioneer 5 1/4s in the front. Sounds really good. had to cut the speaker mounts to get it all to fit, but it works well. I will replace the fronts with the z-stats when I get the piggy bank fatted back up.

Get notified of new replies

To stero

Quick Reply: stero