Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Seeking Nominations for Corvette of the Week!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 AM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Nominations for Corvette of the Week!!!

Hi everyone!

I want to try something new and see what cars you want featured as Corvette of the Week. This Friday we will be featuring a C4 on CorvetteForum. Please be sure to follow these guidelines as best you can:

• The Corvette needs to belong to a forum member.
• Share the story behind the Corvette or link to the thread or threads which contain the story. This can include anything from how long you were chasing the car and the love you feel, to the mods you’ve made.
• And last, but not least, WE NEED PHOTOS! The more the merrier. And the more well done, the more likely you are to capture our hearts and attention. In the interest of space, it would be best to link me to the thread or threads which contain the photos you wish to share, but you can share them here as well. Videos are also welcome, but not necessary.

I can't wait to see your submissions.

Ready...

Set...

Go!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:26 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Hello Christina ! ..... We want to see more photos of you , with or without a Corvette in the background ............... ............
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pass. The ones that are show car quality, photographed by pros or gifted amateurs, always win. Mine is neither.
But it's a winner to me every time I drive it, anyway
Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I photographed this 1989 Corvette coupe at a wrecking yard in central Illinois a few years ago.
It was said to be the ONLY Corvette that was ever owned by the NCM Hall of Fame member, Gordon Killebrew. He used it as a demonstrator in several of his "how to" classes.
She is not very pretty but taught many C4 owners how to work on their own Corvettes.
Most of her salvageable parts are now on other C4s around the world. She gave her all so that others might still cruise and race the road!
You can get more information from Jason Francis at www.vette2vette.com
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Though I have owned over 40 cars- most of them full-size Mopars and Cadillacs of the '60s, along with grocery getters- I had never owned a Corvette. Then, at a car show last October, I put a coat of spray wax on my dad's '86 Coupe. I had been considering selling my project '60 Buick coupe for a few months- the work on the car was absolutely killing me- and that day, up close to its sleek contours, I saw the Corvette in a whole new light.

Two weeks later, my buddy Norm rolled up in a nice beige '85- he had seen my dad's car at the show and gone right out and bought one. That did it. I decided that I, too, must have a C4. The Buick went up for sale just before Thanksgiving.

I set a budget of the proceeds from the Buick, plus maybe a few extra hundred that perhaps no one would miss. I set a travel range of 3 hours for the right car, and I set a limit of 75,000 miles, automatic transmission only, and no red cars- my dad's was red and I did not want a duplicate, and I was dealing with a badly torn rotator cuff which prospects for healing fully were as yet undetermined.

Since I am insane, and spend every waking moment shopping for something when I set my mind to it, I quickly had a list of prospects, even with the Buick unsold. A Craigslist ad from the eastern shore of Maryland really caught my eye:

"1986 Corvette Coupe, 58,000 miles, owned since 1986, never driven in bad weather. Where are you going to find a car with these miles for this price." Short and to the point.

The asking price was $5800. The car's silver exterior and red interior were a fabulous combination. I called and discussed the car at length with the owner, who was driving it less and less as he got older, and wanted to see it go to a good home. The cruise and ABS were not working, but all else was purported to be in order. He tipped his hand at his bottom line: $5500. I was chomping at the bit; the Buick had not been sold yet, and the car was clearly not going to last at this price. Nervously I waited for a call on the Buick.

Two days later, it came. An appointment was made for a showing. The prospect was very solid. And so I called back down to Maryland, only to be told that the Corvette whose four ad pics I had now viewed approximately 728,000 times was now promised to another buyer and a deposit was pending. I was crushed. I asked for a call back if things changed, but the outlook seemed bleak.

Saturday came and as I suspected, the Buick was sold to the first prospective buyer. Cash in hand, I resumed my search. Another silver coupe, a 1987, appeared, also in Maryland. 75,000 miles, two owners. Cash in fist, I jumped in the car and drive three hours to look at the Corvette, priced very attractively at $4200. I love oddball cars and this one had just the kind of quirky features I love: no Bose, no cruise control, no power seats, and no power locks. The interior was in excellent shape. However, the air didn't work, the carpet smelled like a wet dog, half the dash was dim, and not one of the tires matched another. Briefly I weighed the prospect of a $3200-$3500 offer but was determined to avoid that trap I had fallen into so many times; "It needs me". Not this time. I stonily drove 3 hours back home, cursing the wasted time.

Back home, I resumed the search. I had discovered a local 1984 coupe, two-tone bronze, with just 56,000 miles. Two tops, cloth sport seats, and every facet of the car in great shape. New tires, new battery, and a garage kept, clean car. Priced very well at just $5500. I made an appointment to see the car and looked forward to the day.

A snowstorm that day came out of nowhere and scuttled my plans. I rescheduled for the next day and headed off to work. That night, as I got ready for bed, I noticed a missed call on my phone from...Maryland. It was the eastern shore Corvette owner. I could barely sleep as I wondered...could the silver '86 be available once again? In my heart of hearts I hoped so.

The next morning, I rang him back and waited nervously while the phone rang. Would he tell me that the car had been officially sold and this was a courtesy call? Or was it a perhaps a late-night "pocketdial"? As he picked up, I could feel my throat tighten at the latter. Would I sound like an idiot?

I said good morning and asked him how he was. He genially answered and then got to the point: the other buyer had flaked out and the car was available. Was I still interested? Trying to sound casual, I replied that I was off to see another likely prospect but that, since I had the whole day off, that it would be better spent driving 3.5 hours to see his car, I could see the local car anytime. We set up a time and I hung up with heart in throat.

My partner in travel on these excursions was my 66-year-old dad, who has refined crustiness to an art; he can make the word "monosyllabic" sound, well, monosyllabic. He was not thrilled at another 6-hour round trip to see a car with 4 dry-rotted mismatched baldies and a footwell full of moldy water but he reluctantly agreed when I dangled the prospect of a noontime stop at the Cracker Barrel for some rib-sticking mashers and a country-fried steak. Off we went with an extra set of plates and my dad's badge (he's a retired cop) to ward off any gendarmes who might not be warm to the notion of driving with fictitious tags.

As we pulled up, I was again terribly nervous. Would the car be another dog? Would it be dried out from disuse? Would my dad gleefully cave my skull in for wasting 7 more hours of his time on Earth? I gave him a wide berth as we approached the house. He was, he revealed at the Cracker Barrel, "packing heat...just in case".

The owner of the Corvette answered the door and asked us to meet him around back. I brought my screwdrivers, gloves, and a flashlight down to the lower level of the house and waited for the garage door to open. And open it did, to reveal...a damn nice Corvette!

The car was dusty, and the exhaust smelled horribly stale as he backed her out of the garage. But the body and interior were extremely well-preserved, with just a few small nicks of character here and there. Oh, there was a little more to do than I expected- the tires were ancient, almost as old as the car, and the exhaust had some holes from short trips and condensation. The driver's window dragged, and a speaker was dead in the door. But I saw what the car was, and I knew it was no dog. I whispered to my dad, "You know I am buying this car, don't you?" He nodded.

My only panic came during a short drive out alone with Dad. The car ran like, well, crap below 1200 RPM or so. He reassured me; the gas was stale. Run a tank through and all will be fine, he said.

Back at the house, the talk turned to terms. I pointed out the sluggish window and dead speaker. I made my case as dad looked on amused. "You see, I want my wife to love me. If I come home with the car at $5500 and I need to spend another $200, she's not going to love me. I'm sure you understand." His chuckling response was that he had started out asking $7500. A reply came to mind. Should I? I decided that it would probably work:

"Yes, and the car is still here."

My dad coughed a little. He's tough as nails but negotiating price is not his strong suit; he's got a soft heart under all of the canvas winter overalls and 3-day stubble.

I stuck out a hand and put on my best smile; "$5300 cash. In my pocket right now".

He sighed; then he took my hand and gave it a firm shake. "OK, you got it. $5300.

After a call to the insurance company, we were on our way, fishy plates and all. As I gassed up at the local Wawa, I felt like I was going to pass out. I just could not believe my good fortune. I had scored a Corvette. The great American Sports Car.

The first drive home was an out-of-body experience. The 2,500 miles I have added in the year since have scarcely been less exciting. I have done some minor work; the driver's seat cushion was a little rough, and the sunvisors were disintegrating. Tires and exhaust were replaced. The rest has been minor odds and ends. A bulb here; a battery there. The ABS, speaker, window, and cruise have now been repaired. I have cleaned the car endlessly and it really pops. I get compliments everywhere I go. The car has run and driven perfectly except when an original plug wire gave up the ghost. It's still 100% stock, and I intend for it to stay that way.

Some other great things about the car; the DOT tag lists the car's manufacture date as 12/85, which was the month I got my driver's license. I have done some research and have now talked to the original owner, who owned the car a very short time before a bad injury and hospital stay forced a sale of the car, and the salesperson who sold the car new. My dad and I now have consecutively numbered NJ "Historic" tags on our two cars.

It's still somewhat unbelievable to me that I have a Corvette; as a kid, the stories of my dad's green '59 and yellow '63 were always told last when he ranked all the cars he had owned before the marriage and kids had come along and relegated him to Ford Country Squires and Coupe deVilles. Sometimes I go into the garage just to look at the car.

All that is why I want to nominate my '86 Coupe as the Corvette of the Week.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 AM
jesters94
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

The car is a 1994 Brickyard 400 Festival car used in the inaugural Brickyard 400 to introduce NASCAR drivers Harry Gant and Lake Speed to the packed crowd at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The car was then used for a VIP lap and then Mayor Stephen Goldsmith and his wife rode on the back of the car.

There were 25 of these originally sent to the IMS for use on the track, 13 Torch Red and 12 Black. One is known totaled and only 11 of the remaining cars have been located.

Now let me tell you how I came about this car.

In late 2011 I had to sell my original '94 Torch Red coupe as I was leaving on a 7 month deployment to the Arabian Gulf with the assurance of getting another when I returned. My wonderful wife decided to do some shopping while I was gone and with the help of my father found this car for sale in Florida. She bought the car 3 months into the deployment and kept it a complete secret for the last 4 months. The day I returned happened to be the same day as my Corvette Clubs monthly meeting. My wife, kids, neighbor and the entire club were waiting to surprise me at the meeting.

Ever seen a big reveal on Overhaulin'? Yea it was kinda like that!!

Here are some pictures.
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/jest...d%20pace%20car
Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

May not be anything out of the ordinary, story-wise to most, but to me, the day I drove my 'Vette home for the first time was one of the most memorable days in a long time.

Here's my post from that day:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-my-vette.html
Old 12-19-2013, 09:09 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DinoBob

It's still somewhat unbelievable to me that I have a Corvette; as a kid, the stories of my dad's green '59 and yellow '63 were always told last when he ranked all the cars he had owned before the marriage and kids had come along and relegated him to Ford Country Squires and Coupe deVilles. Sometimes I go into the garage just to look at the car.

All that is why I want to nominate my '86 Coupe as the Corvette of the Week.

Thank you for sharing! This is the kind of stuff I love to see.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jesters94

In late 2011 I had to sell my original '94 Torch Red coupe as I was leaving on a 7 month deployment to the Arabian Gulf with the assurance of getting another when I returned. My wonderful wife decided to do some shopping while I was gone and with the help of my father found this car for sale in Florida. She bought the car 3 months into the deployment and kept it a complete secret for the last 4 months. The day I returned happened to be the same day as my Corvette Clubs monthly meeting. My wife, kids, neighbor and the entire club were waiting to surprise me at the meeting.

Ever seen a big reveal on Overhaulin'? Yea it was kinda like that!!
That wife of yours is a keeper! I love this.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
She is not very pretty but taught many C4 owners how to work on their own Corvettes.
Most of her salvageable parts are now on other C4s around the world. She gave her all so that others might still cruise and race the road!
As much as I love the story, we have to stick with featuring forum members!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dukeallen
Pass. The ones that are show car quality, photographed by pros or gifted amateurs, always win. Mine is neither.
Take a look at some of our previous winners! Doesn't have to be a show car or professionally photographed, but we like lots of good photos. Take more photos and show off! We might surprise you in the future.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
May not be anything out of the ordinary, story-wise to most, but to me, the day I drove my 'Vette home for the first time was one of the most memorable days in a long time.

Here's my post from that day:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-my-vette.html
I can't wait to have my own dreams come true!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by dukeallen

Or its because it "modified" not a pure "vette".
Old 12-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by C409
..... Hello Christina ! ..... We want to see more photos of you , with or without a Corvette in the background ............... ............
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...eyard-car.html
Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

We tried this with socalman before, and it died out within 3 months.

good luck

I nominate this Corvette for this week.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
We tried this with socalman before, and it died out within 3 months.

good luck

I nominate this Corvette for this week.

Heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Default Congratulations!

Congratulations, jesters94, your car was chosen as Corvette of the Week!

In a few weeks we'll be looking for another C4, everyone, so keep 'em coming!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 AM
jesters94
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cristina Chenievel
Congratulations, jesters94, your car was chosen as Corvette of the Week!

In a few weeks we'll be looking for another C4, everyone, so keep 'em coming!

Thank You!

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking Nominations for Corvette of the Week!!!

Quick Reply: Seeking Nominations for Corvette of the Week!!!