Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Coolant Leak from Automatic Bellhousing?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Electric Blue Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak from Automatic Bellhousing?????

I have spotted an engine coolant leak coming from of all places, a small drain hole in the bottom of the automatic transmission bellhousing, how can this be????

I have checked for the obvious, e.g. leaking around the back of the engine such as intake and head area, heater core area and associated hoses and found nothing. I just can't understand how coolant could get in the bellhousing to begin with.....

I did have a transmission rebuild a few weeks ago, could anything have been damaged during re-installation? Any thoughts?????

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

There are expansion plugs on the rear of the engine block. The transmission housing would certainly cover them. Your leak is out of the small hole in the "sheet metal" convertor cover?

It could be an upper engine leak that maybe is collecting and just running down the outside of the case and dropping.

Needs to be on a lift and inspected closely to find the source. If you remove the convertor cover and there's a collection of coolant inside the cover it's not going to be a pleasant experience. Good luck!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-17-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a bypass hose on the back of the intake on the passenger side.......
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Electric Blue Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There are expansion plugs on the rear of the engine block. The transmission housing would certainly cover them. Your leak is out of the small hole in the "sheet metal" convertor cover?

It could be an upper engine leak that maybe is collecting and just running down the outside of the case and dropping.

Needs to be on a lift and inspected closely to find the source. If you remove the convertor cover and there's a collection of coolant inside the cover it's not going to be a pleasant experience. Good luck!
The leak appears to be coming out of a very small hole in the "sheet metal" cover below the convertor. I guess I will take it back to the transmission shop and put it on the lift. Are the expansion plugs equivalent to freeze plugs on older Chevy small blocks?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Electric Blue Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by zr1fred
There is a bypass hose on the back of the intake on the passenger side.......

I will inspect this area again, I was hoping to find the problem in this area where it would be an easy fix. With my luck I will have to have the trans" pulled again.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Electric Blue Vette
Cruising

Default Leak Found!!

I finally found the source of the leak, right head gasket at the back of the head near the automatic trans dipstick tube. Thin stream coming out once the system pressurizes (I actually heard the hissing before I saw it). The coolant then follows the trans bell housing down to the bottom. The only way to see the leak is using an inspection mirror and a lot of light.

Thanks everyone who replied to my post.

Could re-torquing the heads possibly stop the leak or is it an automatic head gasket replacement?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be highly unlikely.
Most likely you need to do the head gaskets. L98's definitely are know for that issue after they started putting aluminum heads on them midway through the '86 model year.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Electric Blue Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by bangbgC6
That would be highly unlikely.
Most likely you need to do the head gaskets. L98's definitely are know for that issue after they started putting aluminum heads on them midway through the '86 model year.
I was afraid that would be the consensus. Thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Leak from Automatic Bellhousing?????

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak from Automatic Bellhousing?????