Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 General Discussion
General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
dpivarnick

Default Turn signal canceling cam

Thanks fellow forum followers for your feedback on past questions. I am having problems with the horn system on my '94 C4. I took it in to the dealer and he diagnosed the problem as having to replace the horns, horn contacts and turn signal canceling cam. I didn't quite understand why the canceling cam needed to be replaced as turn signals work fine. Does it hold in parts of the wiring for the horn contacts? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
dpivarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpivarnick View Post
Thanks fellow forum followers for your feedback on past questions. I am having problems with the horn system on my '94 C4. I took it in to the dealer and he diagnosed the problem as having to replace the horns, horn contacts and turn signal canceling cam. I didn't quite understand why the canceling cam needed to be replaced as turn signals work fine. Does it hold in parts of the wiring for the horn contacts? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
It would seem nearly impossible to need "all of it"! The cancelling cam has a brass ring on it that is used to initiate contact with the harness and buttons. It has a nylon "tower" that the horn contact is attached to with a twist lock feature.

The horns can be checked with just a 12V source but the '94+ do have issues with the horn contacts. There are reproduction horn contacts from several vendors and they're on eBay frequently. $55 or so will buy the contacts, I'd say as long as you're doing the contacts the cancelling cam might as well be done also. Is it broken? until it's inspected you can't tell.

If you're one to attempt your own repairs (doesn't sound like you are) there are threads I'm sure with the procedure. I'd think you need to think twice about the recommended repairs. Have you already been charged the diagnostics?

In this post there's a very good image of the horn contacts and you can see why they're likely needed. On the left side of the part you can see the "black" connector that actually twist locks into the cancelling cam to make the contact with the brass ring on the cam.

The cancelling cam connection is at about 11 o'clock in the second image. The air bag needs removed to inspect.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1564762443-post1.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
dpivarnick

Default turn canceling cam

you're right it would seem odd to need all parts but after visiting two shop that seems to be the conclusion. The first shop said it was just the horns and possibly the relay. I took it later to the dealer who took mapart the sterring wheel and also concluded it the the horn contacts and cancelling cam.
Thanks for the earlier thread it show exactly the problem. Anyway I have gone ahead and ordered the parts and hopefully get it all fixed so I can pass inspection.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
It would seem nearly impossible to need "all of it"! The cancelling cam has a brass ring on it that is used to initiate contact with the harness and buttons. It has a nylon "tower" that the horn contact is attached to with a twist lock feature.

The horns can be checked with just a 12V source but the '94+ do have issues with the horn contacts. There are reproduction horn contacts from several vendors and they're on eBay frequently. $55 or so will buy the contacts, I'd say as long as you're doing the contacts the cancelling cam might as well be done also. Is it broken? until it's inspected you can't tell.

If you're one to attempt your own repairs (doesn't sound like you are) there are threads I'm sure with the procedure. I'd think you need to think twice about the recommended repairs. Have you already been charged the diagnostics?

In this post there's a very good image of the horn contacts and you can see why they're likely needed. On the left side of the part you can see the "black" connector that actually twist locks into the cancelling cam to make the contact with the brass ring on the cam.

The cancelling cam connection is at about 11 o'clock in the second image. The air bag needs removed to inspect.

dpivarnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
zr1fred
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post

I'm surprised the dealer didn't recommend a new paint job.....Put 12v on each horn, and then back track. There are two contacts under the airbag, but they connect to a common contact. Usually the "locking" tab breaks on the piece where the horn contact connector goes into the column. Also if someone has had the air bag off, they may have broken the contacts, they tend to fall out of place when apart.
zr1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 General Discussion
Reload this Page Turn signal canceling cam