Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best year C4 for first Corvette ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep my 95 is my 1st and loving it. 55000 miles when purchased @ $10,000 been great.

Do not wait till spring, prices start going up for the nice weather.

Last edited by roadcaqpt; 12-10-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add text
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadcaqpt
yep my 95 is my 1st and loving it. 55000 miles when purchased @ $10,000 been great.

Do not wait till spring, prices start going up for the nice weather.
"And a sharp '95 Ruby Corvette at that!"

Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM
johnrschutt
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BLTN95
I just bought my first corvette at age 63, a good condition 1995, 6 speed, white on black, 70,000 miles for $8,000 in the Northern California foothills. It took me 3 months of looking throughout the west, but found the right deal. Take your time, drive anything you can find in your year of choice regardless of color or condition, then you'll know when one feels right for you. Good Luck!
This may be a dumb question, but where did you go to drive one? Dealer? Private seller? I've never driven one, but would really like to do so. So, how do I get started? I don't have lots of $. And, I'm pushing 60 myself. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by johnrschutt
This may be a dumb question, but where did you go to drive one? Dealer? Private seller? I've never driven one, but would really like to do so. So, how do I get started? I don't have lots of $. And, I'm pushing 60 myself. Thanks.
Of course anyone selling will (or better!) allow you to test drive one. And, depending on where you live, there may be a Corvette car club or club member near by where lots of people would be happy to let you experience one - or that is the way it is 'round here!

I'll bet there's even someone on this forum close by that might be happy to let you experience one. (Where 'bouts you live??)
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
96 for anyone looking for a C4 whether your first Vette or your 50th Vette........the newer, the better, like anything else.......unless you are looking at high mileage cars that have not been taken care of.....then it doesn't matter, they are all junk.....

Not quite there fella. Newer isn't always better by any means. It all depends on what you like in various years of the C4 run. I could very easily afford a newer Corvette, but I chose my 1985 because of my own personal reasons. I like old school type sports cars. I knew what it was and what it stood for before I bought it. I have no regrets buying it what so ever.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Not quite there fella. Newer isn't always better by any means. It all depends on what you like in various years of the C4 run. I could very easily afford a newer Corvette, but I chose my 1985 because of my own personal reasons. I like old school type sports cars. I knew what it was and what it stood for before I bought it. I have no regrets buying it what so ever.
I agree, I have an L98 1986 Z51 and an LT1 1994. and there are plus and minus issues with both.
I love the 86, as it's my go out and tear it up without the wife car, even though it's relatively low powered, 245 Hp, but with a few minor tweaks maybe it's 255 hp, not a big deal, but it's fun, it's fast on a nice backroad, it's no LS monster, but quick enough, it's a torque monster down low, and it does remind me of days past. it has a great placement of the distributor, you can get at everything easily with the clamshell hood.
The LT1 is the date car, the car show car, the cruise-in car, the roll up the windows run the A/C cause the wife is riding, act like a grown-up car. I enjoy it, it's fast, hunkers down low to the ground when you punch it..or cruise at 75..it just runs..and gets great mileage..
but it has an OPTI..and you need to be a magician to remove it, re-wire it, etc.
The thing I love about both versions of the C4 is that you literally wear them. they are a pain in the ZZZ to get in and out of..but once you are seated..I don't think there is a greater feeling passenger car. it's addicting, and once you have driven a vette, any vette, you are hooked for life.
do I complain about squeeks, rattles, tight suspension? Hell Yeah!! could I live without it...HELL NO!!

Last edited by Docderek05; 01-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I read this thread with great interest. It's pretty much the same advise given on the C5 side of things. Buy the newest best car you can afford ect. Which is good advise but you also hear, avoid the 97-2000 cars due to all the up-grades to the 2001 and up models. Being a 99 owner, I tend to discount that part as I have enjoyed 3 years of trouble free ownership. So I am always preaching condition, condition, condition and decide on what you want color wise, trans, body type and must have options. Then go find that car.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 PM
johnrschutt
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Of course anyone selling will (or better!) allow you to test drive one. And, depending on where you live, there may be a Corvette car club or club member near by where lots of people would be happy to let you experience one - or that is the way it is 'round here!

I'll bet there's even someone on this forum close by that might be happy to let you experience one. (Where 'bouts you live??)
Thanks. I'm in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I guess that I've always been reluctant about driving one that's for sale if I'm REALLY not in the market to buy one. I'd feel that I'd be taking advantage of someone. Now, it would be cool to rent one for an hour.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy from 1993 and up ... !
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Philsphan
Racer

I have an 88 35th.. have had a lot of stuff go wrong in just a year of ownership mainly my serpentine belt goin on the highway and the heads over heating.. 2500 repair. then starter, starter assembly, ignition control module a tune. I think some of that could be contributed to a thief of a mechanic. Still doesn't start right away all the time. intermittent here n there problem. stalls occasionally. Also still need to rebuild dash and do the weather stripping. I mean other then that bs I mentioned its in good shape. cosmetically still looks good. interior a solid 7/10 top of the seats leather is cracked a bit but rest of interior solid. its little things that add up and turn to major things. if I was you id look at a really nice condition 89 or a 92-93 lt1 if you're gonna have the newer dash along with the square tail lights might as well be an lt1
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Blue78
Advanced

I have a '94 with 48K and I absolutely love it.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Newer is better in terms of refinements made to a generation; no matter what generation or vehicle; whether a C1 or a C6 and I am sure the 7th generation will be the same with bugs to work out along the way; just the nature of the beast....it's hard to compare an 84 to a 96; model..... ask anyone familiar with the 68 Vette; came out of the oven a little early....part of automobile manufacturing trial and error process........having said that; yea I like my 85 for a number of reasons and have owned it since 2001; not looking back; I like a number of the qualities as well; no third brake light, no ABS, no VATS issues.....been a fun car too; now I have upgraded most of the things that were needed attention as well but I also bought a lower mileage car and paid a little more for it and did well by that choice.....

so that is the key, buy a car that was well maintained and pay a little more......you will be happier.....
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
96 for anyone looking for a C4 whether your first Vette or your 50th Vette........the newer, the better, like anything else.......unless you are looking at high mileage cars that have not been taken care of.....then it doesn't matter, they are all junk.....

Love my '96.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Philsphan
Racer

I agree with Doc about the L98 absolutely a great car to toss around. The torque and the gearing are great. Easy to jerk people back and forth in it lol.. The 245 hp with the 345 ft lb of torque Is great. Im sure the Lt1 feels stronger past 70 though. And I bet an Lt4 is the best of both worlds.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Sassman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't be afraid of a high mileage car, if the previous owner provides a complete service history. The PO of my '94 had already replaced the Optispark, water pump and had the 100,000 mile full service done. He'd also put new tires and brakes on it as well. He was getting rid of it because of the little things that were cropping up. Stuff like the sagging headliner, clicking headlight, non-functional horn, perished weatherstripping, broken passenger seat transmission and tired sunvisors. All easy do-it-yourself fixes, especially with the information this forum and it's members provide. I spent about $1000 getting the car to where I wanted it, but the PO had already done the expensive stuff.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:20 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great ideas being tossed around this thread.

(see my album)
Having owned a myriad of C4's as 1989, 90, 91, two 94's, two-95's and a '96, with 36 to 81k miles, I am also of the '95 and '96 way of thinking on them being the best of the LT1, and having the '96 with the LT4 series of C4's. (Different Optispark, quieter with addl. bonding strips, J55 (ZR1 type) brakes, F.I. upgrade, CD "no skip" upgrade, etc.)

While I myself couldn't pull the trigger on earlier than '89 C4's thus far, the '89-'91 L98's have great motors, and each served me well. Ran and drove beautifully. I like the G92 option, and that's what I've had with my Automatic versions, though my '91 was a great "6 speed Getrag" ride.
Some C4's, (a wonderful one like my current Black '89 lol, can be had for under $9k) and some of us, like the last year of that old style '89 C4 dash).
But, take your time. Check the Carfax or Autocheck online publications, have a credible person check it out if your not that up on them, and most of all keep it simple. One that needs a handful of small things at the most. I like under 70k miles, but wouldn't say no to an under 90k mile unit as tops, if it was well cared for.

You'll find a nice one. Just expect to pay addl. for a Ragtop version.

Best regards on your search!

Last edited by RapidRick; 01-14-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Philsphan
Racer

that's a good bit of advice Rick. Yeah I like the digital dash in my 88. The round tail lights I like a lot too. 1 thing I like better about the 89-93 are the seats definitely. Its all preference I see a lot of nice 89s on autotrader.i bought my 88 35th for 8900 with around 80k on the clock.. once I pay off the 88 and get a daily id probably look into getting a 92-93 lol. but that's down the road quite a bit. Idk what the guys budget is whose looking but a 90 zr1 would be unreal

Get notified of new replies

To Best year C4 for first Corvette ?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Lord.Baal
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

big surprise everyone thinks the year they own is the best year to get

i vote 92-93
LT1 engine, and you get the better sports seats and orange gauges instead of white, have to love the all orange look on the panels!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:34 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

[QUOTE=Lord.Baal;1585924060]big surprise everyone thinks the year they own is the best year to get

So true! What's better is the guy who always says he has a better car than yours, even though it doesn't run and needs thousands of dollars worth of work. But........it's newer!

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 01-18-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord.Baal
big surprise everyone thinks the year they own is the best year to get

i vote 92-93
LT1 engine, and you get the better sports seats and orange gauges instead of white, have to love the all orange look on the panels!
Yep, all personal preference.... I can't stand the orange, so pre-94 (i think) is out for me lol.

Quick Reply: Best year C4 for first Corvette ?