C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

targa top removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:24 PM
sburnison
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default targa top removal

I just removed my top for the first time...this particular piece didn't seem to serve a purpose...does it or can it be removed? It appears it would rotate something but I didn't use it all when I took the top off.
Attached Images  

Last edited by sburnison; 11-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Firemanray
Pro

Never seen that before. Puzzles me that it has a significant threaded hole with a heavy snap ring retainer yet it's attached to the car with 2 small screws.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM
sburnison
Advanced

My thoughts exactly. It reminded me of a soft top convertible I once had that used these to rotate off the lock holding it down. When I got that Targa top off on this it seems it serves no purpose what so ever.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by sburnison
My thoughts exactly. It reminded me of a soft top convertible I once had that used these to rotate off the lock holding it down. When I got that Targa top off on this it seems it serves no purpose what so ever.
My 89' Does not have one of these at all and it looks like something the previous owner added for some reason. Looks to have no use. Maybe search the car and see if you can find anything?
Old 11-24-2013, 03:02 PM
sburnison
Advanced

I will do that. I am definately gonna take them off in that case because it is pretty ugly with the top off. It is mounted directly over the sunvisor mount so maybe when I attempt to remove it, its purpose will reveal it self.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 8 C4's from '85-'96 and none ever had anything like that. I wonder if a previous owner had some kind of radar detector mount or something screwed into it.

It's a shame whoever put that there drilled holes into your windshield header frame. At least it doesn't show when the top's on. I'd dab a little black lacquer or enamel paint in the holes so they don't rust and show less.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My first impression was it was an adapter plate for switching model year targas but the way its mounted threw that out. And why would it have a snap ring because unless there are splines or something, the threaded section would rotate. Seems like a hefty threaded hole for those two little screws to hold something. I dunno, I would remove it, it aint OEM and if your top screws down your OK.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There used to be some sort of airfoil available from some of the accessory catalogs that you installed over the top of the windshield header. The idea was to raise the airflow up high enough so that it didn't enter into the cabin. IIRC, this piece was a clear tinted piece so it also acted as a sunshade.

Maybe the brackets are for mounting something like that? It's definitely aftermarket.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:52 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

Yep I am thinking airfoil also, still in the Mid America catalog.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
speedycat3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like the attachment for the front screws on the soft canvas top accessory. The front stock screws remain in the frame, so they in order to screw the canvas top, they needed those brackets.
I have one of those tops in storage, I might try to get it and see if those brackets are there.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

is it on both sides, or just the drivers side? If it's just the drivers side, maybe he used it for some kind of flag holder or something when the top was off. Like in parades for Veteran's day or something..?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 PM
sburnison
Advanced

It is on both sides. I am going to be removing them as well as the sunvisors so I will update when I do that. Maybe that will shed some definate light to what it is. I have a soft top too and I didn't see how it would use these things either.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 PM
sburnison
Advanced

Well, I simply removed the unknown pieces as it obviously served no purpose to me now but I will retain them just in case. While on the subject, how can I refurb the sunvisors? I have them both off and I prefer to not replace them with new ones. My original idea was to cover them with new material and just have them sewed. Any better ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To targa top removal

Quick Reply: targa top removal