Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Back in black!

Hello (again) C4 section, I'm baaaaaack~!

About 6 or so years ago I moved up to an '01 'vert that over time got upgraded quite a bit and served me well for over 90,000 miles until it met an untimely and unfortunate end in September. Fortunately, my insurance took good care of me and I'm currently scheming to do a museum delivery on a 2014 Stingray.

In the mean time, I needed a car again. My sister, who's had the '86 for the past few years, beat up and trashed the car as you would expect any college-age girl who doesn't quite get that you're supposed to take care of your vehicle to do. I got it back and she's moved on to the '68 Ford Bronco we'd picked up.

The list of things to fix has kind of blended with the list of mods I've wanted to do:
- seats were trashed, swapped in the Corbeau A4's I'd had in the '01
- dash has a big crack down the middle, fixing it and will likely recover it in black suede (as I've done for the center console and shift boot)
- one of the taillights was loose, seems a mount point on it broke, so a new set of "halo" style CorvetteHID.com taillights is on order
- A/C control panel had shorted out and the buttons were all stuck in place due to a Starbucks drink or two being spilled on it, replacement front panel's on order

There's been a number of other odds and ends to fix / repair / replace. I've currently talking to a couple of body shops about getting it fixed up and repainted as damn near every panel has some kind of gouge or crack in it. When the current set of tires (new) wear out I'll be looking into a different set of wheels. I'd originally put a set of repro C5 Z06 rims on it, but when my sis spun the car out into a high curb those got wasted, so the factory wheels went back on.

For those of you that know of George, aka "RadioFlyer", I'm talking with him about designing a set of fixed headlights for the C4 based on the newest style he has for the C5. I had a set of them on order just before my '01 got smacked, and he graciously let me back out of the group buy after it was determined that car was totalled. This will be my own project, not his, and will be dependent on my current learning of Solidworks for my job. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Anyways, the car's getting fixed up as it's going to be my DD / commute car even after I get the Stingray. It's good to be back in a car of my own, and especially fun to be back behind the wheel of my first Corvette.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Listen, if it's your first corvette, keep it. The first one is always the one that everyone wishes they kept.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Listen, if it's your first corvette, keep it. The first one is always the one that everyone wishes they kept.
Trust me, that's definitely the case. The car's been through hell and back (mostly at the hands of my sister ) so I'm very glad that, despite losing my '01, the situation's playing out that I'm getting the '86 back.

Get notified of new replies

To Back in black!

Quick Reply: Back in black!