C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New weatherstripping and dooors are hard

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New weatherstripping and dooors are hard

to shut have to slam them, looks good, was done by PO.Will they loosen up at all.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck buick
to shut have to slam them, looks good, was done by PO.Will they loosen up at all.
There should be "no slamming" required - are you referring to weather-strips on the door for the "door to body" or maybe for the "glass to the body". Door to body check, roll the windows down and you should not have to slam. If you have to slam, close very slowly and you should feel the rear of the door catch on the striker. If you lift on the rear of the door it might feel loose on the hinges. Time for pins and bushings. If the door passes this test, with the glass up and you need to slam it to close then the glass needs adjusted to the weather-strips for a correct seal. If you continue to slam and force the door you will soon ruin the new weather-strips.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

According to Jason Francis at Vette2Vette, my understanding is some manufactures are producing weatherstripping that is very hard; unlike the factory stripping.

Corvette Rubber was recommended to me by our ZR-1 Registry materials chairman, and someone here said CR makes the weather stripping sold by the CF sponsor Willcox (unconfirmed by me tho). I'll be buying some myself, and let you know how it compares to the stock stuff.

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-08-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 AM
ms2086
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to adjust my windows after installing new weather-stripping. You may have to adjust the windows if the doors do not need adjustment.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ms2086
I had to adjust my windows after installing new weather-stripping. You may have to adjust the windows if the doors do not need adjustment.
I had to do the same on my 94 the new after market weatherstrip doesn't compress like the original stuff.

I would try putting down the glass, and maybe keeping the doors closed for a bit, it might help compress it.

If your windows won't go down with the doors closed, use silicone grease on the weatherstrip, put silicone grease (AKA Bulb Grease) on a cloth and rub it on the strips.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:13 PM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got the same situation. Replaced the a and b pillars a few weeks ago ( and the top,was a bear to get on). No real problems closing the door then. have a slight air leak at the bottom of the rear edge of the window glass. Just replaced the piece around the bottom of the door and wholly Molly its tough to close. Figured I'd keep the door closed for a few days and see if it compresses.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

I used some cheap B pillar weatherstrip 4 years ago. Still slamming door waiting for it to compress.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Erniep
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you adjust the tilt on the windows?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:07 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Erniep
How do you adjust the tilt on the windows?
Hi

You have to remove the door trim, find the guide bolts (there are two on around a 75 degree angle)
You can loosen the bolts a bit and move the guide up or down slightly, the guide limits how far the window goes up and how far the window tilts inward.
You need to make a small adjustment and see, it takes a bit of time but the results are worth it.

Even though the illustration is for an 85 vette, all c4's have this guide.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

You have to remove the door trim, find the guide bolts (there are two on around a 75 degree angle)
You can loosen the bolts a bit and move the guide up or down slightly, the guide limits how far the window goes up and how far the window tilts inward.
You need to make a small adjustment and see, it takes a bit of time but the results are worth it.

Even though the illustration is for an 85 vette, all c4's have this guide.

Thank you
Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck buick
I replaced mine this summer. I used a full replacement set from Wilcox Corvette. They get it from Corvette Rubber Company (CRC). YESS, the doors will be hard to shut for about 2 weeks or so. This is due to the area that contacts the front of the door that transitions to the bottom of the door jam because it needs to seat in..I coated the new weather strip with the silicone dressing that I bought from Mid America, this will help the break in process and keep it soft.. I would wait a while before you make any adjusments..It will loosen up!!! My doors close great with no leaks!!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Please don't EVER SLAM the door. These are OLD cars man be firm yet gentle. But it is your car. I replaced all my weather stripping. The doors are still not easy to shut and require a firm hand to close it. Easy if the windows are down. Even my hatch needs a firm shut but never SLAM ! I threaten people before they even think about slamming my doors. It has been a year and counting and the rubber is still fat like a girl who eats too much. And no I don't love that ! I can say I love the way it looks now versus aged and simply nasty looking.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I threaten people before they even think about slamming my doors.
You do that too eh? I cringe when people slam my doors.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
You do that too eh? I cringe when people slam my doors.
I open the door for them wait for them to sit down and then close it firmly if the glass is up or gently if down. I am explaining to them this is the proper way to close my doors. Does this make me a jerk ? So what if it does. Typically I'm by myself anyway when I drive my baby.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

LOL thats awesome! Yes, that makes you an *******... but it is your baby
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Buddy I have over $17K sunk into this car. It might sell for $7K if I'm lucky. So yes I get bent sideways when someone slams a door. I know .....pathetic
Old 11-20-2013, 02:26 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Hey I'm not saying I blame you... not one bit. I dont care which one of my cars I'm in, whether its my measly DD, one of my trucks, my corvette, mustang etc... I cringe when my doors slam. Literally, I go cross eyed when somebody slams my doors.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Lol. My dad was the same way. So I grew up thinking its not necessary to SLAM a car or truck door. What sucks now is my new door seals prevent a normal closing of the door. So I call it shutting it smartly. Before they would close and seal nicely on there own without any force. I guess one more good AZ summer will cure those seals.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM
dvoeltz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seijack
I replaced mine this summer. I used a full replacement set from Wilcox Corvette. They get it from Corvette Rubber Company (CRC). YESS, the doors will be hard to shut for about 2 weeks or so. This is due to the area that contacts the front of the door that transitions to the bottom of the door jam because it needs to seat in..I coated the new weather strip with the silicone dressing that I bought from Mid America, this will help the break in process and keep it soft.. I would wait a while before you make any adjusments..It will loosen up!!! My doors close great with no leaks!!
Same experience for me. Give it a few weeks and things were much better. Windows work fine and doors shut with just a little effort.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Get notified of new replies

To New weatherstripping and dooors are hard

Quick Reply: New weatherstripping and dooors are hard