C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

starter solenoid smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter solenoid smoking?

i had installed sports seats so i came out and moved them around (because i could) then i see smoke. so i look down on the passenger exhaust manifold and theres smoking pluming up from around the starter solenoid and it smells like burnt rubber or plastic. then it started sparking and the smoke got worse so i disconnected the battery. i had gotten a bunch of antifreeze on it when i pulled the fan switch to replace it. but it wasnt doing this yesterday it was right after i came in and messed with my power seats
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

car does start
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Wow! Lucky you caught it before your car became a puddle on the garage floor!

I'd sooner think it had something to do with the wiring of your sport seats than the solenoid.

Antifreeze shouldn't hurt the solenoid - it is designed to live down there with grease and grime and road spray all around, and even be occasionally immersed.

The "00" wire from the battery makes it's way down there, and it may have been damaged somehow OR something touching the terminal? If it were the solenoid, smoking and throwing sparks (especially), the car wouldn't start afterward, would be my guess. Gonna have to have a "look-see" and see what got hot! (Might want to pull the cable off the battery before your exploring tho...Justathought.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-01-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM
85corvettec4
Drifting

i ripped all the wires off the solenoid cleaned everything with a rag and tightened everything and it stopped but that doesnt mean i fixed anything. i didnt see anything burtn either which has me concerned

Get notified of new replies

To starter solenoid smoking?

Quick Reply: starter solenoid smoking?