Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 12:57 PM
Vette Berzerk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!!

Well yesterday I went and looked at a 96 CE it has 70k miles and I talked him down to $14,000... Here is what the car has...

1996 COLLECTORS EDITION Z-51 RACING SUSPENSION, Auto , matching targa top, LT-1 engine with extras-K&N Air Filter, High Flow Air Cleaner Lid, and Throttle Body Flow Booster. - A 2nd owned Car..
The car overall is pretty clean.. He is getting married soon and they want a house.. So he really wants it gone fast.. Here is a list of the things that I found when I looked at it...
The passenger door panel is loose... The Antenna won't go back down, he says the motor is fine that it might of just came off track? The tire pressure warning signal comes on, he explained up front that he took out the sensor from the front passenger side tire, how hard is that to fix and is that something I need to worry about? The tires have about 26,000 miles on them, the tread looks okay, but might need to be replaced in the near future. The paint looks good except one little spot in the front where somebody knicked him in a parking lot, a chip from the fiberglass is missing, about the size of a nickel. The interior is clean, no fading, rips, tears or cracking. The AC is cold. Didn't leak after I drove it. The underbelly looks pretty good.
Overall, I feel pretty comfortable about the car, but this will be my first vette and I am scared. I don't want to end up with a lemon and I think I know what to look for, but I am still scared. I just want your advice on all this. I've never seen a CE go for this cheap, and I think that is part of the reason I really need your advice.
Thanks guys!! Brett

ps. The Vin# is 1G1YY22P6T5118815, I posted this on the other site and asked for help with a CarFax, but no luck yet....if anyone could help me with that I'd appreciate it. Thx.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:18 PM
Kdrhpe
Racer

Default Re: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!! (Vette Berzerk)

Did he say why he took out the tire pressure sensor? That sounds a little strange to me. I'm sure the antenna will have to be replaced. If you take the car to the dealer they will do a pre purchase inspection on the vehicle. I'm not sure what that includes but it is probably worth checking into. If he is willing to let it go cheap he has probably had it for sale for awhile. Offer him 13 and give him some time to think about it. :D
Old 07-06-2002, 01:22 PM
joe-red78
Pro

Default Re: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!! (Vette Berzerk)

Check your email, you got a carfax :cheers:

Joe
Old 07-06-2002, 02:12 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I would definitley have it checked out, just so you kind of have an idea of what you are getting in to. I looked at a CE the other day, no intentions of buying, the guy wanted like 25K for it, had 45K miles on it. This thing definitly had some problems with it. Keep us posted on what you do. :)
Old 07-06-2002, 06:25 PM
0TomLzzz
Former Vendor

Not a bad price for a 96 in good shape. I agree with other comments, take it to reputable dealer/shop to have it checked out. They should charge between 75 to 125. As long as they do not find anything major wrong try to get the price down another few hundred bucks more and go for it.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Jimwood
Racer

Default Re: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!! (TomLzzz)

Thats a great price. If this is all youir budget allows grab it, barring it being a salvage.

General Rule of thumb, a guy who lets one thing go on the car, not repairing sensor warning, will generally let just about everything else go until the car doesnt run.

A 1996 should be in much better shape. Be prepared to pay about 3000+ in the next 6 months to get that thing back to proper form.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Bones LT1
Pro

CE nice cars, bargain price.
Have it checked out if its good jump on it.
For tires try Kuhmos or Nittos.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Why would he remove the Tire Pressure sensor?
I just bought my CE a few months ago and paid $10,000 more than that.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Re: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!! (Eric 96)

Wow thats a great price :eek: :eek: :eek:

I hate it for me but its good for you. Two additional suggestions: 1. Get it emmissions tested, 2. have the dealer or someone with a scantool check it for any codes.
If it passes emmisions and has no thrown codes got for it. For that prce you can fix all of what you listed and still be way ahead.
I agree tat the low price does scare me some, but mabye we're just cynical.
:lol: :lol:

Gonzo
Old 07-09-2002, 02:37 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take that VIN number to a GM dealer and run a warranty report (should be for free).

That'll let ya know if the previous owner(s) even took it in for warranty repair.

I did that on my '96 and it had plenty (like a good GM product should). Mine was a one owner and by the time I got it, everything was fixed :)
Old 07-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Re: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!! (Dan Parker '96)

What happened??????
Old 07-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Vette Berzerk
Racer

Default Re: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!! (Gonzo)

Gonzo..

I e-mailed the guy with the CE and asked if he could go down a bit more on the price and he couldn't.. And I really don't feel good about the deal.. And I asked him if he knew about the opti-spark and he didn't,.. So I asked how he washed the engine bay and he told me he sprays the Green stuff on it and then washes it off with the hose getting the whole engine wet!! I then told him that the opti-spark really shouldn't get wet.. He then said wow I guess thats why I can't start the car after I wash it.. He said he has to jump start it!! I don't know a lot about Corvette engines only what I have read in books and on this forum.. But doesn't jump starting a Vette mess up the digital dash?? So I think I might pass on this one... :eek:

[Modified by Vette Berzerk, 5:42 PM 7/9/2002]
Old 07-10-2002, 04:41 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there anyone (Corvette Forum member) in Dallas that can help this guy? A few minutes of experience could put him in a good car at a good price...
Old 07-10-2002, 09:49 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I also spray mine down with simple green, and rinse with low pressure water. I stuff rags by the opti, and don't aim water at that area. '95 and '96 have an opti that has a vacuum hose running to it to remove moisture from the unit.
I have never had to jump start my '96, but I have used it to jump start other cars. I never heard about jump starting messing up the digital dash.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a good deal overall. The tire pressure sensors are not available when I looked 6 months ago. You will have to find a used one. They are unique to each wheel, so if you buy it, you need to pull the code to determine which one is missing/not working. Should be able to buy one for less than $100.

I also recommend paying someone to check it out top to bottom if you are not a Corvette expert.

I wash my 1996 engine all the time with simple green and water and never had a problem with the opti spark. The 1996's were better sealed and vented. However, they still have a coil, so that could be the problem if it it gets wet does not start. Don't automatically assume the Opti spark is at fault.

The chip on the front could be a major expense if you get it fixed.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!!

Quick Reply: OK guys I went and looked at a 96 CE....Need some advice!!