C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help driving a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help driving a manual transmission

So I recently got a 1984 corvette, and it's the first time I've ever driven manual. I know how it works, and what to do, but I still find myself stalling alot. I don't have a problem switching from 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 4th, etc, But I just have a problem starting from a non-moving position.
I can get it up and going, 50% of the time it stalls on me when I try getting into 1st gear. I know I will get it eventually, But advice would be good. My dad said to try to get it to 15 rpm when The clutch starts pulling. I do this, and it seems to work half of the time. And when I do get it, it seems like I am starting to fast, because my tires will spin for half a second and then I will go, and it sucks because I am practicing on a gravel road and my car gets dusty every time.

So any advice? Should I be giving it gas BEFORE it reaches the "friction point"? or do you only give it gas WHEN it reaches the friction point?
Any other tips or pointers would be good.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
So any advice? Should I be giving it gas BEFORE it reaches the "friction point"? or do you only give it gas WHEN it reaches the friction point?
Any other tips or pointers would be good.
Yes give it a little gas before you relax pressure on the clutch pedal.

As practice, on flat ground like an empty parking lot on Sunday, put the car in reverse and use no gas at all just idle and slowly slowly slowly let the clutch out until the car starts to roll when the engine starts to strain even a little give it gas to compensate.

Set up a cone or something soft and practice pulling forward from a stop to as close to the cone as you can going slowly in 1st.

Rent a stick shift with a tiny 4 cyl engine and when you can get it going up hills without rolling back you're going to have no problem in a car with torque and power like your C4.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:42 PM
AAChaoshand
Instructor

This is one of those things that you just sort of have to learn. No amount of reading will help unless you are in the car doing it. I learned on an RX8 back in 05 and that was a hell of a way to learn. No torque at all so learning gas to clutch ratio was difficult on that car.
My best advice is learn where the car grabs and moves on it's own. Once you got that down, add gas and less clutch. Practice in a parking lot as 94z said and continually go from a stop to 1st gear and repeat until you feel comfortable. It is all about muscle memory. RPMs are great but it is more about the feel of the car in my opinion.
If you lived nearby I could get in and give some pointers but I am in Central Texas.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:57 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Practice, Practice ,Practice........WW
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I find it helpful to "blip" the throttle just before engaging the clutch while applying the accelerator - especially on my wife's carb'ed C3/M4or cars unfamiliar to me. Other than that, it just take practice. After a while you'll learn the car's idiosyncrasies and think nothing of it after that. And, from then on, any manual car you drive will be just a mater of adapting to it quirks, but no big deal.

Go drive the hell out it!

P.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WW7
Practice, Practice ,Practice........WW
Says Mr 700R4...
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

It takes time, practice, and coordination. I find letting the clutch out slowly, and as the revs drop slightly, then slowly add throttle. The key is slowly and smoothly. Use dry., flat parking lots, like the ones near large office buildings. On weekend there should be a large open area with no cars. Take your time, don't hurry it. This is one you just have to so it.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant add much more than has already been said, but I would say good for you for admitting you cant quite get it right yet! it will come, and you'll soon find its like breathing, you'll do it without thinking, listen to and act on all the good advice so far posted, start gently, and you'll be fine!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Advice

Can't add much to this other than maybe where you practice. If you have a plant or center somewhere that's closed over the weekends, that's usually a good spot that you don't risk hitting anyone or anything while practicing.

We used to race go-carts in the Chrysler parking lot over the weekend in St. Louis when I lived there. Big beautiful lot with lots of space and no cars or traffic.

Last edited by hcbph; 10-27-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my 12 year old son a playseat to start off. Now he thinks he can drive my car.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

First, you rev the engine up to about 3000-3500rpm, then slide your foot off the clutch pedal...just kidding, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT DO this.

Every clutch has a friction point, this is where the friction surface of the clutch disc begins to engage the flywheel. On my first manual, far from a Corvette though, I started by finding this point by slowly releasing the pedal until the engine would start to bog slightly. Once I had that position in memory, it was much easier. Just let the engine up to about 1500 rpm and slowly and equally apply gas while releasing the clutch. You'll have it down in no time, just learn that friction point the rest is easy.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

Get off the gravel ASAP.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by nutz4c4
Says Mr 700R4...
But I do shift it manually sometimes..........WW
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BB 2005
Get off the gravel ASAP.

Pavement is a better place to learn. Once you get the hang of it (and you will) gravel will be less of a problem. Also, before you take it out in traffic you'll need to work on starting up while on a hill, without rolling back. That can be intimidating if you're not 100% comfortable with the car.

You will never regret learning to drive a stick - you'll be set to go with anything from a small economy car to a truck.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
AstroMan1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to give it some gas before you let the clutch out, just a little before or at the same time. The hard thing to learn is how much gas to give it and how quick to let the clutch out, takes some practice and I would not be doing that on gravel. Tips, learn how to use the clutch smoothly and how much gas you have to give it and when. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM
85corvettec4
Drifting

feather the clutch good luck man all my DD's have been 5spds since i started driving, you wont want to go back!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
ricasso
Pro

Yeah, its a balancing act between Gas and Clutch, over here its a required part of the driving test to start from a dead start on a fairly steep uphill gradient having found the "biting point" of the clutch while releasing the P/brake, rolling back even a couple of inches is seen as "not in control" and an instant fail!

Get notified of new replies

To Help driving a manual transmission

Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

I can't "wreck" anything by stalling so many times can I? Because right now I am just practicing starting and stoping on my long gravel driveway, and as soon as I get a little better I'll move onto the road.
So by starting, sometimes stalling, stopping, and then starting again, many times, I can't ruin the clutch or transmission can I?
Just want to make sure.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I doubt you're going to wreck anything. If your battery is weak to start with you might run it down from repeated starts but you'll know ahead of time if it starts acting slow.

Practice slowly bringing the clutch up off the floor until you find the point where it engages, then push back down again. Do that a lot until you can make the car just barely start to move.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
ricasso
Pro

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
I can't "wreck" anything by stalling so many times can I? Because right now I am just practicing starting and stoping on my long gravel driveway, and as soon as I get a little better I'll move onto the road.
So by starting, sometimes stalling, stopping, and then starting again, many times, I can't ruin the clutch or transmission can I?
Just want to make sure.
NO..

Quick Reply: Help driving a manual transmission