C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Questions about aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Z01Vett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about aftermarket exhaust

Ok my Vette came with what looks to be a Borla aftermarket axle-back exhaust. I love the looks of it but it's too quiet for my taste. I feel the exhaust should have a "bite" and a "growl" to it, not a little-louder-than-stock whoosh...

The rear Y-pipe needs to be replaced; it's eaten up with some cancer and some of the exhaust is leaking from it. I don't think replacing the Y-pipe in itself would make that much difference in the loudness/aggressiveness of the exhaust...

I've been looking at replacing the Borla mufflers with either Flowmaster Super 44's or Pypes Violators, in addition to replacing the stock rear Y-pipe with the Flowmaster Delta Force 2 Y-pipe for increased flow. I'm also going to replace the stock cat with a high-flowing cat.

I took the Vette out for a couple of trips around the block yesterday; to me it's on the gutless side; I'm thinking that opening up the exhaust will help - for starters.

Does anyone have experience with putting Super 44's or Violators on their C-4, and if so how do/did you like the sound?

Also, are the two pre-cats in the front section necessary for passing CA smog, and if so are there aftermarket high-flowing pre-cats available?

I'd love to go with long-tube headers but being in CA I know that's not doable to keep it smog-compliant. As much as I'd love to have them, I don't want to have to mess around with changing out the exhaust every two years in order to pass smog.

And since I'm on the subject of opening up the breathing, are there any aftermarket CAI's worth looking into or is just cutting the grid on the stock air box lid enough? I know both ends need to be opened up in order to get optimum results...

Thanks for advance as always for your responses!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Firemanray
Pro

Mine HAD 2 chamber flows on it when I got it, 2 1/2" true duals with center resonator removed. Sounded like a beast on the outside, people would jump when you started the engine, however, the drone in the cabin would make your teeth rattle. I'd have a massive headache after an hour of highway driving. I replaced the flows with magnaflow stainless steel mufflers and spectra resonator tips. Now the drone is gone but it still bellows under full throttle. I'm very satisfied with the final result but in a small way I miss that ground shaking rumble it had on start up before.
It really boils down to what you can tolerate as far as drone, I hear corsa gives the best of both worlds, just not in my budget.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Z01Vett
Advanced

Thanks for the response - yes, I've read a lot about the drone - I guess that stems from the mufflers pretty much being under right behind the front seats. I still like to hear the sound both inside and outside; I'm just wondering if the Super 44's would cause too much interior drone. I'm the type who likes to drive with the radio off and just listen to the car - to me that's a huge part of the whole experience. Plus IMH a Vette should sound like a Vette should and not some candy-*** luxury car.

I'm thinking about just replacing the center cat with the high flow cat and replacing the Y-pipe with the FM Y-pipe and see what that does. I've always though Borla's were supposed to have a beefy sound but I've been really disappointed so far...

Yes, I've read about the Corsa exhaust and how a lot of people who have them on their C4's really like them - but like you, I can't see shelling out over $1k to get it - I can think of a lot of other things to spend that $1k on...
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM
tron4734
Advanced

I had the flow master cat back on my red 87 and it sounded great. I didn't get any drone, it sounded good, strong and beefy. I swapped it out for muffler eliminators which sound good at higher rpms. I drove long distances with both set ups, never uSed the radio and neither made the cabin too loud that I couldn't talk to the passenger.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Z01Vett
Advanced

Sounds good - thanks so much for the input.

I was checking on the Violators, it doesn't look like they're offered with the center inlet and center outlet so it looks like I'll be going with the Super 44's. I found them on Jegs for $79 each. From some YouTube videos I checked out it sounds like the Violators are louder, but FM advertises the Super 44 as the loudest 4" case muffler they make.

I'm ordering the parts tonight; I'll update the thread once I have everything installed and let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I advise LEAVE your Exhaust STOCK

The exhaust system on C4 Corvettes are extremely sensitive to any modification and will cause serious drone, which will damage your hearing in the long term. Been there, done that ... I purchased the Billy Boat Cat-Back back in 2005 and hauled it up to my local Muffler Shop. Paid about $200.00 installed, then went for a ride, and the drone was horrible. Long story short - I packed it up and mailed it back to Mid-America Corvettes in Illinois. I paid shipping of $200.00 sending it back. Mid-America refused share shipping charges. Finally after about 30 days, Mid-America refunded my money but put me on a Black List meaning I was no longer allowed to order parts for them. Unbeknownst to me, I did not not this. So, I called Mid-America 6 months later to order hood badge, and when I gave them my name they put me on hold for 10 minutes. Finally, a smart a*s woman with a bad tone advised me I was no longer allowed to order parts.

Before this incident I had purchased over $8,000.00 worth of stuff with NO returns ... I only returned the Billy Boat Exhaust.

Bottom Line: Avoid Mid-America Corvettes .... and leave your exhaust stock.

Last edited by C4.Ray; 10-28-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Also in Ca and took the cheap route kinda on an 89 I had
Bought the 2.5" exh manifold back kit with precats, a carsound main cat and used Delta Flo 50s. it picked up almost 2 tenths at LACR. Not a big difference but noticeable. It droned some not horrible...I guess it was fine for me but with a girl in the car then you realize you gotta speak up to talk. Who listens anyway

A pair of 2.5 in/out stock type mufflers would probably work just as well and be quiet

Youll only get so much past the stock manifolds so dont worry about spending tons on a fancy stainless catback
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Z01Vett
Advanced

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
I advise LEAVE your Exhaust STOCK

The exhaust system on C4 Corvettes are extremely sensitive to any modification and will cause serious drone, which will damage your hearing in the long term. Been there, done that ... I purchased the Billy Boat Cat-Back back in 2005 and hauled it up to my local Muffler Shop. Paid about $200.00 installed, then went for a ride, and the drone was horrible. Long story short - I packed it up and mailed it back to Mid-America Corvettes in Illinois. I paid shipping of $200.00 sending it back. Mid-America refused share shipping charges. Finally after about 30 days, Mid-America refunded my money but put me on a Black List meaning I was no longer allowed to order parts for them. Unbeknownst to me, I did not not this. So, I called Mid-America 6 months later to order hood badge, and when I gave them my name they put me on hold for 10 minutes. Finally, a smart a*s woman with a bad tone advised me I was no longer allowed to order parts.

Before this incident I had purchased over $8,000.00 worth of stuff with NO returns ... I only returned the Billy Boat Exhaust.

Bottom Line: Avoid Mid-America Corvettes .... and leave your exhaust stock.
Thanks so much for the input; now I'm having second thoughts about swapping out the exhaust and just stick with the Borlas that are on there now. Everyone speaks of the drone so obviously it's an issue - and not something I want to have to deal with and end up having to have double the work done to install the new mufflers and yank them back out again.

Also, thanks for the heads up about Mid America - it makes no sense to me how they could treat a customer who's spent over $8k with them they way they treated you over a shipping charge. I'm sorry they did that to you - it's definitely their loss and it sounds like their CS people can use some attitude adjusting so they understand that the customer is the one who pays their paychecks...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Z01Vett
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Also in Ca and took the cheap route kinda on an 89 I had
Bought the 2.5" exh manifold back kit with precats, a carsound main cat and used Delta Flo 50s. it picked up almost 2 tenths at LACR. Not a big difference but noticeable. It droned some not horrible...I guess it was fine for me but with a girl in the car then you realize you gotta speak up to talk. Who listens anyway

A pair of 2.5 in/out stock type mufflers would probably work just as well and be quiet

Youll only get so much past the stock manifolds so dont worry about spending tons on a fancy stainless catback
Thanks for the input - well, since the car is going to be a cruiser to take trips on with my future wife (as hard as we try not to listen ...) I guess I'll stick with the Borlas, replace the cat & Y-pipe and leave it at that. Plus I can use the money I'll be saving on the mufflers and install for other things the car needs.

I've heard long tubes are great but I don't know how hard the smog techs would look for headers v.s. the stock exhaust manifolds. Are the pre-cats needed in order to pass smog?

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about aftermarket exhaust

Quick Reply: Questions about aftermarket exhaust