Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interesting experience at the emissions testing center today...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Interesting experience at the emissions testing center today...

Unfortunately, Colorado requires an annual emissions test to renew registration or when a car is purchased in order to get your tags.

I recently purchased a 96 Grand Sport and I was dreading the emissions test so I put it off as long as I could before finally going in and having it done. I wasn't worried that the car wouldn't pass, it's completely stock and only has 14K miles, but I hate taking the car somewhere where a kid in greasy coveralls is going to be climbing in and out of the car, scuffing the door panels and sills, leaving marks on the steering wheel and seats, etc.

So, I take the car in and it's obvious when I pull up that the guys working there had never seen a Grand Sport before (probably don't see many C4's period). I get out and tell the guy to be careful with the car, it's rare and in perfect condition and I want to keep it that way. He says "ok, yeah, I know they only made like 500 of these". Even though he's wrong with the number made I'm actually pleasantly surprised that he even somewhat realizes what the car is. I then go inside to wait for the test and this couple is inside waiting as well. They pull the GS onto the dyno and I'm looking on nervously as the guy starts fumbling around inside the car. he finally motions for me to come out and asks me, "where is the parking brake?" I kind of chuckle to myself since I'm sure many a new C4 owner has wondered the same thing. I point out where it is and how it works and he's good to go.

I go back inside, and the couple inside asks me if the rear bumper is stock, or if it's afermarket. I tell him it's stock and he tells me he's asking because he noticed the car had square tail lights rather than round lights. I tell him that all 91-96 Corvettes had that bumper with the square tail lights. He compliments the car and I thank him and go back to watching the test being performed on my car.

Part of the test requires checking the gas cap to see if it is tight and sealed. It takes them 10 minutes of looking all over the car to find where the gas cap is located.

At the completion of the test, they motion me outside. I go out and another guy is filling out paperwork and turns to me and asks me to open the hood because they can't find the hood release (the C4 is really giving these guys a run for their money). Now I have never had them open the hood on any of my other cars that I've had tested, so I am a little concerned. I pull the release and open the hood up and two of them look it over. Then one of them asks me "how did you get an LS1 engine into it, did you do a swap?" I told him that no, the engine that's in it is the stock engine and it's an LT-4, not an LS1. He says "ohhh, I've never seen that before. Nice Vette man". And with that I passed the test and was on my way.

I guess the jist of the story is that it was cool seeing the interest that the C4 GS got from these guys, most of whom were 20 years old or younger. The C4 is an increasingly rare car these days, and it's cool that the younger generation has an interest in them. It really did generate some excitement at the shop that I don't think a run of the mill C5 or C6 would of generated (not bashing newer generations, I love all Corvettes).

Just thought I'd share.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
lkl2005
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great story, Thank god, no emmisions test in WI.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
rhinoevans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was waiting for the BAD NEWS punch line. Great Story, THANKS!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
AAChaoshand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 87 C4 yesterday...well technically my wife's since I have a C6. On the 90 mile drive back I was almost enjoying it more than my C6. Kept that to myself though, she doesn't need to drive my C6. The L98 in mine is a beast for it's era that's for sure. I told her it is going to take weeks for her to be able to drive that thing alone.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Odd in Texas OBDII card just get plugged in and not dynoed. I was pleasantly surprised as well after my LS swap. I dont have to be sniffed anymore.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

at least they did not run the test with the parking brake on. i heard them really wailing on a car and thought that someones car was really getting thrashed. when they came into the waiting area, we could not see the dyno, i was floored when they asked 'who is the owner of the 89 vette'. then the ***t really hit the fan. finally got a check for $2200 for new bearings/rotors/calipers/etc.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Damn In CA with a OBD2 we don't go thru all that BS.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:40 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Va, neither. ODBII gets plugged in and that's it. Now for us lucky ones with a ODBI and less then 25 years old, We get to idle, go 15mph and 25mph, They treat us special!!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 PM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, they check for the check engine light and also plug into the OBDII port, but they still put a sniffer on it. At least they have roadside tests now, where they have trucks set up with sniffers on the entrance ramps to the highway that sniff as you drive by. If your registration is due they send you the renewal in the mail with the pass/fail and you don't have to bring it in to test.

Colorado is awesome, but the state government/laws really suck.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting experience at the emissions testing center today...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting experience at the emissions testing center today...