C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wheel hub bearing replacement parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:11 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Wheel hub bearing replacement parts

Any suggestions on wheel hub bearing replacement parts for and 84. I am hearing some brands are no good. Any one have a bad or good experance with a certain brand?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

don't remember the brand, but bought mine at Rock Auto. No problems
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I think most on here will agree that Timkin is one of the better bearings...WW
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I would think whatever "brand" a local purchase would be the "preferred"-

Using only the "brand" and "vendor" in the two previous posts the Timken for the front from A-Zone is $139 (3 year warranty) and from R-Auto $131 (1 year warranty). A-Zone would be a "local" purchase with no shipping and if there are issues it's a "toe to toe" discussion. R-Auto there's no assurance that you're not buying maybe B-grade, re-packaged or something other than A-grade product. Discussions and solutions to problems are maybe "days away"!

R-Auto would be my absolute last choice for any purchase. You need to establish a relationship with a "local" and stick with them. I don't mean to imply that A-Zone is a "go to either" - I just used them for a quick comparison!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 639 Likes on 494 Posts

Several years ago I bought one from my Advance Auto store for the rear of my '94. I think "BCA/National" was the brand. It was $169. It failed in about 30k miles.

I went cheap and bought a "Precision" brand from Amazon for $43. It was on for about 20k miles and still good when I sold the car.

My conclusion was that you may get a good one or a bad one from any source since I suspect that many are being outsourced overseas (China) and it is hit or miss how well they are made. I think the odds may be better if you can find a good brand like Timken, but who knows?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 PM
black88z51
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you get what you pay for when it comes to bearings
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its ironic but Timken invented the wheel bearing. From Wikipedia.

My bet is on Timken. However, even with there history...you never know.

The company was founded by Henry Timken in St. Louis in 1899 and incorporated as The Timken Roller Bearing Axle Company. In 1898, Henry Timken obtained a patent for the tapered roller bearing.

Tapered roller bearings were a breakthrough at the end of the 19th century because bearings used in wheel axles had not changed much since ancient times. They relied on bearings enclosed in a case that held lubricants. These were called "friction bearings" and depended on lubricants to function. Without proper lubrication, these bearings would fail due to excessive heat caused by friction. Timken was able to reduce the friction on his bearings significantly by using a "cup" and "cone" design incorporating tapered bearings that actually rolled, which reduced the load placed on the bearings by distributing the weight and load evenly across the cups, cones and bearings.

In 1901, the company moved to Canton, Ohio, as the automobile industry began to overtake the carriage industry. Timken and his two sons chose this location because of its proximity to the American car manufacturing centers of Detroit and Cleveland and the American steel-making centers of Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timken_Company
Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by SnAkeDr
Its ironic but Timken invented the wheel bearing. From Wikipedia.

My bet is on Timken. However, even with there history...you never know.

The company was founded by Henry Timken in St. Louis in 1899 and incorporated as The Timken Roller Bearing Axle Company. In 1898, Henry Timken obtained a patent for the tapered roller bearing.

Tapered roller bearings were a breakthrough at the end of the 19th century because bearings used in wheel axles had not changed much since ancient times. They relied on bearings enclosed in a case that held lubricants. These were called "friction bearings" and depended on lubricants to function. Without proper lubrication, these bearings would fail due to excessive heat caused by friction. Timken was able to reduce the friction on his bearings significantly by using a "cup" and "cone" design incorporating tapered bearings that actually rolled, which reduced the load placed on the bearings by distributing the weight and load evenly across the cups, cones and bearings.

In 1901, the company moved to Canton, Ohio, as the automobile industry began to overtake the carriage industry. Timken and his two sons chose this location because of its proximity to the American car manufacturing centers of Detroit and Cleveland and the American steel-making centers of Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Timken Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow.........I feel smarter already....WW
Old 10-20-2013, 05:57 PM
TeeVette850
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced both of the wheel bearings and all of my u-joints on my 86, made by Wheel Bearings Inc. Very good quality and were about 100 bucks a piece. 👍
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used, and would use again, S K F units on my "84" smiles.

heaver duty looking than the ones i replaced

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel hub bearing replacement parts

Quick Reply: Wheel hub bearing replacement parts