C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Soon the be new owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM
dema57
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Soon the be new owner

Hello all! I've been on here before looking for my dad's C4. It was a loss, but the the want of one was still there.

I'm about to buy a C4. I trust the seller. Low price for some minor mechanical upgrades

First, I don't have a garage and I'm looking for a great cover. Any recommendations? I live in NC so I want to protect from sun, rain, other elements. In time a carport will be built, but until then....

Second, do you all buy extended warranties? Is there such a thing? Go to your mechanic, or do your own work? I'm thinking the starter needs to be replaced.

Ideas and comments welcome!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM
dema57
Intermediate

Also, any recommended C4 books I should buy for maintenance and the such?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I think you will be lucky to get any extended warranty that would be worth having. Learn to do your own work, as much as possible. You will need to buy the factory service manuals for your year car. Get the ones with the red covers, as the white cover ones are preliminary manuals. You can find them for sale on this forum or Ebay. Generally prices run around $ 50 to $ 75 for a good used set of 2 manuals.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 PM
dema57
Intermediate

Ok thanks! Does anyone have any recommendations on parts shops, online or in person? How about tools? I'm new and want to make sure I have as much as I can!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Misc

Originally Posted by dema57
Ok thanks! Does anyone have any recommendations on parts shops, online or in person? How about tools? I'm new and want to make sure I have as much as I can!
Places I buy from are RockAuto, Autoanything, Oreilly's, Napa, All in 1 Auto Parts, CorvetteCentral, Ecklers are a few of the places I've bought from for the Vette and other vehicles I own. Also check out the supporting vendors of this website, I have not purchased from all of them but also support them when you can.
For tools, figure both SAE and Metric. 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" socket sets (std and deep drive). Pliers (regular and channel lock), slotted and Phillips screw drivers. Needle nose pliers, vice grips and if you're set up possibly a impact wrench and sockets. Couple of hammers.
Ramps, floor jack and jack stands and something to chock the wheels with (I use some chunks of 4x4). Digital Ohm/Volt meter. Trouble light. Grease gun with a flex hose. Set of factory manuals on your car.
That's the short list on general list of things you might have a need for working on your car. How much/many you need depends on what you need to work on but it's a fair start.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by hcbph; 10-07-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:50 PM
dema57
Intermediate

Ok sounds great! Thanks for the info and I'll get on gathering tools!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Even with all the tools and manuals, if you don't have the mechanical ability or experience, you will need someone to guide you or you could make a simple repair far worse...

Also, I don't know what your budget is but, buy the best condition C4 Vette you can afford! This is very important since the earlier Vettes are fast approaching 30 years old!

Don't buy a fixer upper!...Especially if you are unsure of your mechanical ability...
Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Good rule of thumb is if you are buying a used car and you think you need to buy a warranty, you probably should be looking at another car. Another rule is that if you have to go to a mechanic, you probably can't afford a C4, especially an older one. They aren't that hard to work on, and most owners think working on them is a lot of the fun...when it stops being fun they buy something else. They are great cars, but they are old.

Last edited by zr1fred; 10-08-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Soon the be new owner

Quick Reply: Soon the be new owner