C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
Does it have new tires? How about the fuel injectors, coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, drive belt, weatherstrip, brake hoses, etc. When was the last time the trans fluid was changed? How about the brake fluid. If any of these are older than a few years then you are going to have to do some maintenance. That takes money as we all know and use it to negotiate the price.

How long has it been for sale. If it is on Craigslist you can go back and check earlier dates. The longer it has been for sale the more negotiating room.

Is $14k the asking price or bottom line after negotiating? If it's the asking price, offer 12K and see what happens.

In the end, however, only you can make the decision if it's worth it to you. Good luck with the purchase.

Have you actually been to look at the car? you say its your first vette, if you dont know much about them take someone with some knowledge to look it over, do you have any photo's you could post? how much history do you have on this car? Im sure even the most experienced members of this forum would have difficulty giving a valid opinion with limited information, but however it plays out I hope its a good'un and you get it for a price YOUR happy with, but above all else, enjoy it!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
5 times? Where do you get that from. It is more advanced but 5 times, I don't think so.
Gosh...they are different cars .. I currently own
1 C2 ...
3 C3's..
1 C4 and (only automatic in the bunch)
1 C5...

Best car by far ? I agree with you the C5...

BUT to be honest the C5 is NOT in my opinion the car I like to drive best..except on long trips...heck its near the bottom of my list when I want to get my adrenalin up and enjoy myself and the car... BUT that's me...I just like to drive hard...

Bob G.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBCAR
You could buy a c5 for that price which is 5 times the car. Not many c4's worth 14K....
Not a whole lot of C5's worth $14k right now for that matter. A C5 is 5 times the car as a C4?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

There is a white 47,000 mile '86 in my area right now for sale at $6000. New tires, brakes, and exhaust. Pace Car decals in the box. So again, the car had better be mint and these guys are right- you should want THAT car in THAT color, for it to be worth it.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 k is 1995 and 1996 territory, for a beautiful coupe. now for a 1986 vert. in pristine condition, I would think 14 is still pretty steep, unless the car is truly spectacular, showroom quality.
Best, Derek.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
scott554
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Car purchase

Well guys I bought a 1988 with 28,000 miles on it with quality upgrades. I am still suprised at how clean this car is. I drove it 1050 miles home with no problems and had a blast, thanks for the help and comments.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Raichert
I paid $14500 for my one owner and he had all the maint records, car fax, manuals, even a 94 corv VHS tape from Chevy, (had to find a player), etc.. I feel in love with it when I saw it! He even had the wheels sent off to be chrome plated. It's all what you are willing to pay, within reason, as others have said. Good luck!
My C4 story is literally just like yours! I bought my '93 from the original owner (paid a bit more than I wanted to), but I got EVERYTHING; original window sticker, VHS tape, C4 sticky notes and pen, window shade, etc. He also went out and bought me the FSM about a month after I drove it away because I kept the car cleaner than he did.

To the OP, it's a little high, but if it's good and the car makes you happy then go ahead! '86 Pace cars are one of my favorite C4's.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 94 Conv w/23000 miles

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
My C4 story is literally just like yours! I bought my '93 from the original owner (paid a bit more than I wanted to), but I got EVERYTHING; original window sticker, VHS tape, C4 sticky notes and pen, window shade, etc. He also went out and bought me the FSM about a month after I drove it away because I kept the car cleaner than he did.

To the OP, it's a little high, but if it's good and the car makes you happy then go ahead! '86 Pace cars are one of my favorite C4's.
I just love to go look at in my garage! Little things to fix but it is a joy to drive. Didn't think I would ever have a corvette that I could afford. It is perfect in my eyes! Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Corvette purchase