C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

86 with lighted rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 PM
C486Bill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 with lighted rear view mirror

I was fixing some lighting issues in my vette other day when i pulled off the dash pad. Coming off of the pass side a pillar is a harness that goes to the visors and rear view mirror, anyway there is an orange and a white wire splitting out of it and they are just terminated leading nowhere. Both visors work and are connected, the rear view comes on with the switch. But, there are two connectors coming off of the mirror one has the orange and white wires connected to it. Any idea where they are supposed to be connected? And yes, i have a FSM and cant fig it out.
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

In '86 I don't believe ALL cars got a MAP/CONSOLE FLOOD LIGHT in the mirror. Does yours? I believe that only the EXPORT COUPE cars maybe got it and the DOMESTIC 'VERTS. In '87 ALL cars got the MAP/CONSOLE FLOOD LIGHT I believe.

I would think it's very likely/guess that even though the car didn't get the MAP LIGHT in the mirror the harness might have been in the car. In the '86 owners manual it calls for a console flood lamp. Look at this MAM .pdf and look for the FLOOD #4 in the interior mirror.

http://content.mamotorworksmedia.com...s/601010_X.pdf

I didn't quite understand fully what you mentioned when you said the mirror has the wires but NOT connected. If that's the case and the car is a coupe then likely the mirror was replaced with a service mirror which replaced both later in SPO.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-10-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

The 86 coupe I used to have had map lights and the glow effect both in the mirror. Mine was an 86 "late" model. 86 was a split year best I remember at least when it came to buying parts for it.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I believe the map light will only be displayed in the '86 'vert in the FSM.

I looked at a later FSM and there's actually a reference to a C301 connector center of windshield header for the MAP/FLOOD.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 with lighted rear view mirror

Quick Reply: 86 with lighted rear view mirror