C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rack and pinion replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 AM
bsbones
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rack and pinion replacement

My rack and pinion is leaking and needs to be replaced. How long and how much should it cost for this work. I have the new rack but can not get a quote from local repair shops.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

You might try a post in the "Northeastern" section of the forum for a recommendation of a shop that's in the vicinity that comes with a "this is where I'd go" recommendation. It could well be worth a couple hour drive maybe for a quality repair. There's also an alignment or just a basic toe setting to consider while doing the repair!

You don't mention why they won't price it but there are maybe good reasons. Some shops won't let the customer supply parts for several reasons, among them the wrong parts supplied and once the work has started and it's determined the part isn't correct now it becomes the shops time and facilities that are committed, if a shop installs the customers part there's no shop warranty involved and that can certainly create issues when a major part is defective or fails. The shop may not be interested in a repair that isn't something they're actually familiar with and they're trying to avoid using you as the "guinea pig".

Using your steering rack (a remanufactured product) as an example, once it's installed and it either leaks or is defective out of the box who get's to pay the shops time? If they supply the part then the warranty of the shop is involved and they'll likely be reimbursed by the vendor or the manufacturer for the efforts. If yours fails in 60 days what then?

How long and how much? It actually depends on the talent of the technician. If it's something that's done regularly it could be very competitive, not done frequently a shop may want to charge straight time.

You didn't mention year and if it's a C4 it doesn't matter much but your location if it's an older C4 then maybe they consider the likely effects of the "winter" on the vehicle. Some just may avoid older projects.

** You didn't mention where the leaks are and since you've purchased a rack not maybe important but it might have been something to consider first.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-29-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 AM
bsbones
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is an early 1986 and the shop that I plan on using has done other work and I have been very happy with there work. When I had them look at the leak they told me it was the input shaft. I do not think they have done one on a corvette although they did say it would take 6 hours. I'm not sure if that is reasonable?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It shouldn't really take that long. Take the sway bar out and its not too bad. Actually, 6 hours is probally right...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
vallini
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.turnone-steering.com/

These guys rebuild C4 racks, you supply the core. They did mine, do great work & also offer the pumps. Figure around $400.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

It's quite difficult to determine reasonable until you pile it in stacks of dollar bills! The 6 hours @ a "reasonable" & "rational" labor rate might be considered "reasonable" to the consumer if you're comfortable with their work. If that's the rack install, fresh fluid and proper bleeding including the setting of the toe then it might well be reasonable. How much is the 6 hours going to cost? Can you do it yourself? Are you comfortable doing something like this yourself? It's all "relative"!!

Do you need to send the core back to someone? Hold it until you're comfortable with the repair. If it's a rack that's never been serviced/rebuilt and maybe a Z51 (2 turn rack) - it consider keeping it and selling it to someone wanting a 2 - turn rack.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Stephen Whited
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion?!?!?!?!

I have a 1988 C-4 corvette and the power steering went out. It is not making any noises or grinding, its just a bear to turn. Should I bee looking at the rackand pinion instead of the power steering pump? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! Also, no visible leaks at all.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
coyotejoe
Intermediate

I changed mine myself in about 5 hours just fallowed the service manual wasn't that hard. On '84 C-4.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Stephen Whited
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by coyotejoe
I changed mine myself in about 5 hours just fallowed the service manual wasn't that hard. On '84 C-4.
THX. After doing a little more checking, my power steering pump has a low end whine. Could this be as simple as a pump? Is there any way to check?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

It took me about 4 hours maybe 5 at most to do mine. It was my first time doing it too. Undid the sway bar and it was simple from there on out.

Thankfully I have lifetime alignment through firestone so I can go have my car alignment done once a week if I wanted to.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

This thread is a year old
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 PM
J-berman
Intermediate

My C-4 1985 Rack and Pinion leaked but when I started using Lucas stop leak, it stopped. Then I let my tire place replace the unit and it leaked worse, to the point that they refunded my money. Using Lucas it still periodically leaks, but no where near as bad, and the Corvette place by my house in Bellflower, CA told me that it would cost about $350.00 to replace it. Does this sound reasonable?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
This thread is a year old
Now it's 5 years old.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:16 PM
J-berman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 383vett
Now it's 5 years old.
Well, I guess that I just arrived at the party, but does about $350.00 sound reasonable?

Get notified of new replies

To Rack and pinion replacement

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion replacement