Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1991 Turquoise Convert. (feedback)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM
pivotpro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Turquoise Convert. (feedback)

I have stripped down a newly acquired 91 vert. Im into it for a whole dollar $$.

The original color was the turquoise and I hated it. I have everything ready for a recolor, and now I am wavering on the idea.

It seems that there were limited #s of these colors out there. (that may be because they couldn't sell the ones they painted)

I have seen some with the silver stripe that look okay, but I'm not sure that after all that work I am willing to settle with just "OK"!

I'm on the edge here people. Try and sway me.... (original idea is for dark metallic blue)

UPDATE. FINALLY GETTING CAR BACK TOGETHER 10-5-2009

FINALLY got the car to a mostly finished state. I did the recolor in a 2009 Yamaha "puplish blue metallic" (what a name)....
Made some body mods with a bond on front and rear valance and rocker covers. No bolt on mods. Added C5 mirrors and hood vents.
Went with a corvettes West quad lighting as well. Still a work in progress.

With all the options out there, it is a time consuming task to come up with the right combination of body, color and wheels to create your "dream" car. This one was priced right, so I decided to tackle this project. Next up is a C5.
Before pictures to follow.
Attached Images       

Last edited by pivotpro; 10-05-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

This is your car. Paint it the color that pleases you. Just bear in mind that if you paint it other than the original color it can detract from the selling price, especially if you paint it in a color not offered by Corvette. You are the only one who can decide if a factory color or a non factory color will make you happy. If you plan to keep it for a long time and are not worried about resale choose the color you feel would make you happy.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Bensons86
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. Paint it whatever you want. We all like to toss out the idea of resale value, but the reality is that most of these c4's aren't going to be worth a ton of money anyways. Add to that that most of the people looking to buy them aren't as much concerned about whether it is original or not. They are more concerned with how well it presents itself now. Dark metallic blue sounds like it would be pretty sharp on one of these.

Oh yeah, if you would consider putting racing stripes or something like that on there anyways--you have already lost the resale as it is no longer original. Might as well have just painted it all. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

tough call thats on you!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Original Color

Keep it original.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 PM
pivotpro
Instructor

Now theres the heartfelt feedback I was looking for z-07.

Thats my feeling on the color too. I suppose any mods done to the car exterior will take away from the resale value. I will be installing a splitter and skirts, so I suppose the paint scheme is not a factor any more.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
VETTEHIGH
Pro

Originally Posted by pivotpro
I have stripped down a newly acquired 91 vert. Im into it for a whole dollar $$.

The original color was the turquoise and I hated it. I have everything ready for a recolor, and now I am wavering on the idea.

It seems that there were limited #s of these colors out there. (that may be because they couldn't sell the ones they painted)

I have seen some with the silver stripe that look okay, but I'm not sure that after all that work I am willing to settle with just "OK"!

I'm on the edge here people. Try and sway me.... (original idea is for dark metallic blue)

Tell me what you think.... I can take it.
I have a 91 Turq Met Conv. Not the best of colors, but I have a car that only a couple might have worldwide (upgrade wise, color, year) . I have something special (passed down from my father) that I will make that no other will ever have in that color and year. I like to be much different than others

Also, Callaway made one awesome C4 in Turq Met

Last edited by VETTEHIGH; 03-10-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a turquise metalic 1991 coupe. I think its the nicest color GM ever offered.[and im straight] LOL yes they are a bit rare, i think 1621 of them were painted in that color. But you do what you would like to see it. just my 2cents. If your car was rough to begin with,then i dont think it will matter on its value.If it is in nice shape then perhaps keep it stock. ED
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Rogue1
Advanced

I too have a 1991 Torquise Metallic and love the color. Those who think it's gay definitely have homo-security issues. Gay colors are pink and yellow. Gay cars are Beetles and Jettas.

Corvettes....never gay, unless they're pink! And GM never made any pink 'Vettes.

The Torquise Metallic is really based on the color of clear, ocean water near shallow shorelines. If you've ever been to the Carribean, the Central California Coast, Hawaii, and other places where there is an abundance of sunshine, beautiful coastlines, and unpolluted water, you will see it.

I like the color. It is unique and looks great on the Vette. But paint in any way you like. It's your 'Vette and your $$. The best color is the one you think is best.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 PM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Turquise Metallic was originally for the 1990 Indy Pace car replicas along with the Yellow that was actually used on the track in a convert. Beretta. But the convert. Beretta never made production due to some safety issue or other. Chevy made the replicas in both yellow and turq. metallic.and some corvette festival cars were also turq. metallic, or teal as it is often refered to. This is our INDY and we enjoy it also( it's our 2nd one) and is a daily driver and winner of several stock car 1st in its class awards.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I like the color (as long as I don't see it every day). I hate changing colors on a car, and am in to basically stock, but.....It's your car paint it any color your like. Done well, it shouldn't deduct much from the value of your car.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:58 AM
CopperCorvette
Pro

The color of the car doesn't mean a thing unless it's being sold at auction like Barrett-Jackson or Mecum. That is where the color really comes into play. Not every color is for everyone. Personally, I'm not a fan of the white C4's with the matching white wheels but to each their own. Paint it your dream color and live the dream. Copper
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEHIGH
I have a 91 Turq Met Conv. Not the best of colors, but I have a car that only a couple might have worldwide (upgrade wise, color, year) . I have something special (passed down from my father) that I will make that no other will ever have in that color and year. I like to be much different than others

Also, Callaway made one awesome C4 in Turq Met
What about the other Callaway Corvettes in 1990 and 1991 besides the "one" ?? There were about 6 or so made in that color...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Go with the blue!!! That sounds like a much much better color. The turquoise is like barbies sister's Corvette.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Rogue1
I too have a 1991 Torquise Metallic and love the color. Those who think it's gay definitely have homo-security issues. Gay colors are pink and yellow. Gay cars are Beetles and Jettas.

Corvettes....never gay, unless they're pink! And GM never made any pink 'Vettes.

The Torquise Metallic is really based on the color of clear, ocean water near shallow shorelines. If you've ever been to the Carribean, the Central California Coast, Hawaii, and other places where there is an abundance of sunshine, beautiful coastlines, and unpolluted water, you will see it.

I like the color. It is unique and looks great on the Vette. But paint in any way you like. It's your 'Vette and your $$. The best color is the one you think is best.

I like the color but I like to have a color that you don't see everyday and you don't see this everyday. It's your car but I would get a different vette if I didn't like the color. I'm always for the originality. But that's just me. IMHO
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 PM
90Indy
Pro

Tough decision to be sure. I would leave it alone for awhile and see if it grows on you. When I bought my yellow vert I only did it because my wife liked it. But over the last 5 years it has grown on me and I wouldn't think of changing it now. If in 3 to 6 months you feel the same, repaint it. This will also give you more time to think about a color for the repaint.

Time you've got. Money for a repaint is a little harder to come by.

90Indy
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
kingforward
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
What about the other Callaway Corvettes in 1990 and 1991 besides the "one" ?? There were about 6 or so made in that color...
I know 3 of those 6 turquoise Callaway twin turbo Corvettes reside in Miami, FL....an appropriate location for this color, right?

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Turquoise Convert. (feedback)

Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Paint it what you like and don't worry about resale value. At the corvette-expo in Sevierville, TN today they couldn't give C4s away at the auction. A 93 one owner ruby with 13,000 miles couldn't even get $13k. Most C4s were going for around $6k. In other words, paint it what you like and enjoy the heck out of it because none of them seem to be worth much in today's market.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

If it was me I would really keep it real.. That car is a rare color, and they look great aas a vert with a hardtop.
good luck
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Another "paint it the color you like" vote

Quick Reply: 1991 Turquoise Convert. (feedback)