C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Classic Insurance/Primary Car Requirement

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:34 PM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Classic Insurance/Primary Car Requirement

I am trying to arrange insurance for a recently purchased C4 and have been dealing with one of the well known providers.

I wish to be able to drive the car & for my wife to be able to drive it, both on weekends.

After filling in forms has come a requirement that we each have a "primary car", other than the C4. ie, be a 2 car family before the C4 arrives.
We only have one vehicle in the family, which means we may be turned down by the Underwriter.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced Underwriter who does not require 2 drivers in a family to each have a "Primary car"?
Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 02:40 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try these guys. I'm not sure, but it's worth a call.

http://www.ncminsurance.com/
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Hagerty to insure my 85 C4 and they just require a daily driver. At no point was I told I needed a DD and my wife needed her own, even though we do each have a car.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

I think you will find that a daily driver is required for each licensed driver as
a requirement for classic/exotic insurance coverage on the vette.

If you are a Costco member, you might find that their insurance carrier, Amerprise, is very competitive with classic insurers without the second car requisite.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by NuckinFutz93
Try these guys. I'm not sure, but it's worth a call.

http://www.ncminsurance.com/
That's who I am talking to.
My mistake, I should have said that in the original post.
Adam is over in Carlile.
I didn't realize that all American families are 2 car families, before they get into classics
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by seabright
I think you will find that a daily driver is required for each licensed driver as
a requirement for classic/exotic insurance coverage on the vette.

If you are a Costco member, you might find that their insurance carrier, Amerprise, is very competitive with classic insurers without the second car requisite.
Thanks seabright.
I am a Costco member so will follow that possibility.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 95 is in my name and so is the insurance, they didn't even ask about my wife when I got my insurance. We had to redo thing when I bought her a vette. Worse case, buy a junker and tag and insure it. They are asking if you "OWN" one, not if it runs. LOL
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by ejscarfo
I use Hagerty to insure my 85 C4 and they just require a daily driver. At no point was I told I needed a DD and my wife needed her own, even though we do each have a car.
What sort of usage restrictions are there associated with the policy?.
ie Usage outside of weekend touring?
Parking location restrictions & so on?
Thank you
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CVTLOPE
What sort of usage restrictions are there associated with the policy?.
ie Usage outside of weekend touring?
Parking location restrictions & so on?
Thank you
Offhand, here is what I remember:

- Agreed value coverage
- Car must be kept/parked at registered address (I believe garage or off street parking are required)
- Must have other insured vehicle(s) insured "normally"
- No mileage restriction
- Car to be used for exhibition (shows) and pleasure rides
- All drivers in the home are insured (my wife is insured to drive my C4)

I've had Hagerty for over 8 years. They have been a pleasure to deal with when making claims and my premium has not gone up with the exception of when I went from insuring the car from $7000 to $10,000. I pay $225 a year and that includes road side assistance, not only for the C4, but for any car registered to the same address so my Saturn and Honda are covered too.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by ejscarfo
Offhand, here is what I remember:

- Agreed value coverage
- Car must be kept/parked at registered address (I believe garage or off street parking are required)
- Must have other insured vehicle(s) insured "normally"
- No mileage restriction
- Car to be used for exhibition (shows) and pleasure rides
- All drivers in the home are insured (my wife is insured to drive my C4)

I've had Hagerty for over 8 years. They have been a pleasure to deal with when making claims and my premium has not gone up with the exception of when I went from insuring the car from $7000 to $10,000. I pay $225 a year and that includes road side assistance, not only for the C4, but for any car registered to the same address so my Saturn and Honda are covered too.

I hope that helps.
Ejscarfo - thank you, that is very helpful.
Could I check a couple of things - When you day - "Must have other vehicle insured "normally" - you mean with Hagerty's??, or any insurer. - I take it to mean they don't want your DD to be insured as a Classic??

I took a 1st cut at a quote & using their default "coverage' values, it came out at $327.
I am guessing you tweaked the covers to get to $225??

Do you have deductibles on the "Coverage For damage To Your Auto", "Collision & other than collision"?
Their default Zero deductible for tis part of the insurance on a $10,000 C4, [their minimum cover value], is $221 of the $327 premium.

Usage - if you had to take it to work one day because, say, DD's in auto shop, would you be covered or not??
Thanks
CVTLOPE
Old 08-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Firemanray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Safeco classic car insurance. I found nothing in the declarations of the policy that restricts usage, parking, mileage etc. Costs me around $325.00 per year. It is a declared value policy with very high liability limits.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could I check a couple of things - When you day - "Must have other vehicle insured "normally" - you mean with Hagerty's??, or any insurer. - I take it to mean they don't want your DD to be insured as a Classic??

I took a 1st cut at a quote & using their default "coverage' values, it came out at $327.

Do you have deductibles on the "Coverage For damage To Your Auto", "Collision & other than collision"?
Their default Zero deductible for tis part of the insurance on a $10,000 C4, [their minimum cover value], is $221 of the $327 premium.

Usage - if you had to take it to work one day because, say, DD's in auto shop, would you be covered or not??
Thanks
CVTLOPE
I'm with NCM. $12,000 agreed value, full coverage, no deductables, I placed a 3,000 mile annual limit but the max available is 6,000 miles. I can drive to work 2 days a week if I wish. Pleasure driving, shows and tours with a club. No running errands. It must be garaged unless out on a club activity then the garage is waived. Comes with towing and $750 pet coverage. I don't think a dog will appreciate riding in my Corvette but that's no charge. With the Corvettes they appreciate the passive security system. Mine is working. The one restriction that I don't like is if you take the car on vacation you still have to garage the car. The garage is only waived with club activities. NCM does not have a rider to waive the garage for vacations at any cost.

I had to have at least one other car as a daily driver. I have 3.

Last year it was $228, this year $230.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
I'm with NCM. $12,000 agreed value, full coverage, no deductables, I placed a 3,000 mile annual limit but the max available is 6,000 miles. I can drive to work 2 days a week if I wish. Pleasure driving, shows and tours with a club. No running errands. It must be garaged unless out on a club activity then the garage is waived. Comes with towing and $750 pet coverage. I don't think a dog will appreciate riding in my Corvette but that's no charge. With the Corvettes they appreciate the passive security system. Mine is working. The one restriction that I don't like is if you take the car on vacation you still have to garage the car. The garage is only waived with club activities. NCM does not have a rider to waive the garage for vacations at any cost.

I had to have at least one other car as a daily driver. I have 3.

Last year it was $228, this year $230.
Thanks tbirdsps- the critical part is - do you have another Driver on the NCM cover, or is it just you?
CVTLOPE
Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks tbirdsps- the critical part is - do you have another Driver on the NCM cover, or is it just you?
CVTLOPE
Yes, my wife is one it. Funny though she's never even sat in it. LOL
I don't remember if it was required but she's the only other one in the house.

They did check our driving records first. They did inquire whether we had any teenagers around the house. Teenagers scare them I think.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Thanks
CVTLOPE
Sorry I took so long to respond. To answer your first question. By insuring normally, I meant with another carrier with the standard liability coverages, etc. Another classic or specialty car does not count. You have to have a daily driver.

Here is a copy and paste of my Hagerty declarations page:

Liability Coverage Part Limits:

Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $60,000 Per Accident (incl. Supplemental Spousal BI): $ 32
Supplementary Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: SUM $60,000 Per Accident (Basic UM Included): $ 10
Personal Injury Protection: $50K BEL $0 ded: Med;Wrk $2K mo/3yrs;Other $25 day/1yr;Death $2K Addl.: $ 10
Added PIP: No Coverage
Optional Basic Economic Loss: No Coverage
Total No-Fault Benefits Available: $50,000: INCL
Medical Payments: $1,000 Per Person Per Accident: $3

Coverage for Damage to your Auto(s):

Other Than Collision: $74 ($0 Ded.)
Collision: $81 ($0 Ded.)
Spare Parts - $750 Total Limit: Included ($0 ded)

Policy Discounts/Credits, Surcharges, Other:
Motor Vehicle Law Enforcement Fee $10

Total Policy Premium: $ 220

I hope that helps. I'm sure there are other factors that determine the costs like age, location, driving record, etc. I called to get my policy and spoke to representative. They walked me thru the policy and we were able to eliminate things I didn't need.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If vacations are a problem, you can always put a second policy on it with State Farm, Farmers, Allstate....any of the big boys....to temporarily to cover it during that time, and cancel it when you get back. If it gets stolen or wrecked while you're on vacation, your collector policy doesn't have to get involved.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
If vacations are a problem, you can always put a second policy on it with State Farm, Farmers, Allstate....any of the big boys....to temporarily to cover it during that time, and cancel it when you get back. If it gets stolen or wrecked while you're on vacation, your collector policy doesn't have to get involved.
there are also riders you can get for racing

Get notified of new replies

To Classic Insurance/Primary Car Requirement

Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Very helpful ejscarfo, thank you.
NCM's Underwriters have just turned me down for having 2 drivers & 1 DD.
We work at the same place & only need 1 DD, which apparently bothers them.
Will take a closer look at Hagerty now
CVTLOPE
Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Firemanray
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hagerty turned me down because my son's jeep (on my personal policy) is a '98, just 2 yrs newer than the 'vette. They had some kind of problem with that, said all my other vehicles needed to be "newer" models. I've got 4 others not including the jeep ranging from 2003-2012. I blew them off and went elsewhere.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
CVTLOPE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Firemanray
Hagerty turned me down because my son's jeep (on my personal policy) is a '98, just 2 yrs newer than the 'vette. They had some kind of problem with that, said all my other vehicles needed to be "newer" models. I've got 4 others not including the jeep ranging from 2003-2012. I blew them off and went elsewhere.
Who did you go with??

Quick Reply: Classic Insurance/Primary Car Requirement