C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Damaged ZF-6 drain plug solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Kiantone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged ZF-6 drain plug solution

Purists abandon this thread immediately. A PO must have hit a obstruction is reverse as one side of the drain plug was caved in towards the center. I wanted to change the oil but had hardly three threads of the drain plug were showing. One must always loosen the fill plug first but I had no 17 mm allen. A 1/2 inch bolt volunteered for the job so I started grinding it down using a 17 mm end wrench to tell me when to stop. Welded a nut to the bolt threads and out comes the fill plug. To remove the drain plug I ground off one of the "points" on the bolt head and I could lightly tap it into the plug. But turning the bolt expelled it from the plug. I put a small screw jack on 12 layers of old bath towel (over kill?) and put some pressure on the bolt and much to my surprise the plug came loose. And I did not need to buy the $19 17mm allen socket that wound not likely be used again for a long time. Thanks to WVZR-1

Last edited by Kiantone; 08-10-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: unclear wording
Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 PM
SeeFourSix
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You lost me on the drain plug part. I would gladly buy a new drain and fill plug if I could get mine out.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Kiantone
Advanced

Originally Posted by SeeFourSix
You lost me on the drain plug part. I would gladly buy a new drain and fill plug if I could get mine out.
Sorry my wording was not clear. I tried to fix it. I have a new plug coming tomorrow. Can you get a pic of your plug? I may have just been lucky with mine.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Kiantone
Advanced

Saw your Pics in tech forum. I got lucky.

Get notified of new replies

To Damaged ZF-6 drain plug solution

Quick Reply: Damaged ZF-6 drain plug solution