C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My First Car... a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
PossibleProdigy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Car... a Corvette?

I have been presented with the opportunity to buy a black 1984 corvette from an autobody place that i help out at.
The corvette has been sitting since 2005, has some upholstry issues, a window motor that needs to be replaced, power steering that isn't connected, slight issues with the bodywork on the front end (a crack in the paint, and a slight hump), bad oil, bad gas, power steering that i'm told has hard spots while turning, a cracked console (still works though) and as far as anyone knows, any of the seals or gaskets could go at any time.
As for the good parts... I was able to start it on the first turn of the key and it sounded amazing. No issues driving around to a different part of the shop. It will also come with a glass top, and a brand new working console. I may be able to buy it for anywhere between $2,000 and $3,000 dollars. Is this a good deal?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I would not touch it, too many problems and those are only the ones you know about. It could be a real money pit. For the money you would be putting into it you can get a newer one with out the issues.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
PossibleProdigy
6th Gear

oops, realized i said the power steering wasn't connected... the power steering is connected, the cruise control is not. i'm capable of doing some repairs on my own, like the window motor and console replacement... but even if i buy it just for parts, how much is a glass top worth?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:46 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I whole heartedly agree with Kimmer. As tempting as it is, I'd steer clear of it. Waaay to many potential, and current issues.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Leo23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would steer clear of that car for sure, too many potential high dollar problems after sitting for 8 years.
You say it's your first car? That would lead me to believe you are a young guy who just recently got your license. A Corvette may not be the best thing for an inexperienced driver, and insurance will be very expensive, if you can get it at all. It might be better to work your way up to a Vette in a couple of years.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM
ThatVguy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

If this were your car that you had owned for 20 years, the personal involvement may make it worth it.

The reality is though, even $2000 is too much, it needs at least $5,000 into it by the sound of it, and good, sub 100K examples can be had between the 5-10K range.

SKIP.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Durissus
Racer

Maybe if they GIVE you the car, with the understanding that they might recoup some money by labor charges for fixing things up! But really, just saying Corvette on the emblem, does not make it irreplaceable!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:24 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Durissus
Maybe if they GIVE you the car, with the understanding that they might recoup some money by labor charges for fixing things up! But really, just saying Corvette on the emblem, does not make it irreplaceable!
offer 500 max, it worth 4000, in really nice condition with everything working, and I think that the 84 fuel injection is a headache, in fact the description kind of gives me a headache, keep your money to spend on a good one. Which means cared for and not abused, also you only listed the things you KNOW about NOW!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
93 lt1 vette
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Find a different car.

2k for the car. 4k for paint and body maybe. 1k for tires and rims. 500 for tune up and fluids. 300 for brakes and rotors. 500 for interior work. Plus a lot of time and effort. So 8k to make it move and look good. For 8 grand you can buy a medium mileage 89 90 L98 tune port ready to drive. 8 grand can get you a medium mileage LT1. 300hp 6 speed.

So unless your looking forward to working on a car for a year + and have the performance of a 84 cross fire or buy a 89+ with better ride more performance and a driver the day you drop the check.

I understand though, I've had a bunch of Chevelles, Novas and Camaros in my driveways in the past 30+ years that ended up never moving that I couldn't live with out. LOL

Last edited by 93 lt1 vette; 07-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

I remember a '34 Ford roadster that was sitting in the back of a used car lot. I could have gotten it for $100. That was two weeks pay for me at the time. It needed as much work as the 'Vette you're thinking about.

At the time, I had a nice '46 Ford 2-door sedan for a DD at the time (my first car), so if I got the '34, it would be sitting in the alley driveway as a project car. A buddy offered to go in halfie's on it with me.

I didn't buy it. I always regret it - even 55 years later.

If you have a Daily Driver and can afford to buy it with the full realization of how much labor and parts it will take to get it going - I would go for it.

Make sure to get approval from whoever is in charge of where you would store it and find out if any significant other in your life gives you blessings to go ahead.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

It's junk. Run, don't walk. If you really want a Corvette, buy a nice one to begin with and save yourself not only a ton of trouble, but a ton of money too.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 PM
94flavette
Drifting

I have a feeling this isn't what you wanted to hear but the advice given here is sound.

Pass on this one.

Hell, if you pass on it he may just give it to you if no one else comes for it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I will be in the minority here, but if this is the only Vette you can afford and the better cars in the range of $4 - 5000 cars are out of your reach, I say go for it. Especially if the car looks good enough body wise that you won't need to paint it immediately. $2000 doesn't sound bad, if you can do the work yourself. Sounds like it will need a rack and pinion put in it and a window motor or ribbon.
I would try to not go much over $2000. 84's got a bad rap because they are not easy to hop up and when they do have problems, people don't know how to fix them and get frustrated. I have had seven 84's and a crossfire 82, don't be afraid of the crossfire.

My first car was an 84 which I still have

Last edited by shawn 84&92; 07-24-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
84VetteMan205hp
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn 84&92
I will be in the minority here, but if this is the only Vette you can afford and the better cars in the range of $4 - 5000 cars are out of your reach, I say go for it. Especially if the car looks good enough body wise that you won't need to paint it immediately. $2000 doesn't sound bad, if you can do the work yourself. Sounds like it will need a rack and pinion put in it and a window motor or ribbon.
I would try to not go much over $2000. 84's got a bad rap because they are not easy to hop up and when they do have problems, people don't know how to fix them and get frustrated. I have had seven 84's and a crossfire 82, don't be afraid of the crossfire.

My first car was an 84 which I still have
Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 PM
ROBCAR
Instructor

Buy it if it's cheap enough. It's not like it has to fixed up overnight. You must remember most of these "corvette guys" wont even look at a car unless it's perfect with no miles and then not even drive them at all. Any car that comes along that's any bit of a project they tell guys to run away. I just bought an 89 vert that is a project for $1500 bux. If the price is right and you don't mind a project go for it. There easy to work on if you have any brains at all. But always remember this......Get it as cheap as you can. That goes for anything.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:48 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

How's the replacement parts market for early C4 Corvettes? They may be hard to come by. It may cost more restoring than it's actually worth.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah hell....buy it. What's the worst that can happen?

Get notified of new replies

To My First Car... a Corvette?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Ah hell....buy it. What's the worst that can happen?
He could have rear quarters repaired with wood and duct tape?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM
George Dickel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you done any pricing for the parts that the 84 needs? If you have to take the car to a shop for repairs you can't do, expect to pay $100 an hour labor or more depending on your location. Do you have this kind of money at your disposal? If the vette breaks down and needs four or five hundred dollars in repairs, how long will it set before you can get that money? As stated earlier, a set of tires will run in the area of $1,000 and I wouldn't even think of driving on tires that have been on the car since 05. More than likely the tires were several years old before the car was left to set. You are looking at major money before you even get it on the road. I know that the idea of getting a Corvette for your first car is quite exciting but don't let emotion block out reason.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
clarky
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ch@0s
He could have rear quarters repaired with wood and duct tape?
It take's a special breed to rock a lumberwagon.

Quick Reply: My First Car... a Corvette?