C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear Main Seal Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM
LTFORC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Main Seal Help

My 96 LT-4 recently developed a small oil leak and needs the rear main seal replaced. I don't have the ability to do it myself so I have to rely on a mechanic to handle the task. I have two quotes---one from a repair shop for $500 and one from a transmission shop for $400. First of all -- do those quotes look reasonable and does anyone have a suggestion or any experience with which would be the better place to go. I think a Chevy garage would be expensive and maybe overkill. I was also told that a product named PermaTech Oil-Stop-Leak works very well. My initial inclination would be to steer away from that option---your thoughts?
Thanks Much!!!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:08 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Both are very reasonable, you have to drop the 6spd trans. Make sure it is the rear seal and not the pan gasket or one of the oil sensors. By "chevy garage", I assume you mean the dealership. That would be the last place to go for a quality repair or a fair price.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM
LTFORC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Both are very reasonable, you have to drop the 6spd trans. Make sure it is the rear seal and not the pan gasket or one of the oil sensors. By "chevy garage", I assume you mean the dealership. That would be the last place to go for a quality repair or a fair price.
HaHa--my experience exactly!!!Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

the rear main seal can be replaced easily once the transmission is removed. i would not recommend using any oil additives that will stop an oil leak. i would have the car repaired correctly. i don't think that $400 is an unreasona.ble price to pay if you don't have the tools available to do the job.

when you remove the transmission and flywheel, you will see th rear main seal around the crankshaft. here is a pic of my 94's rear main seal. i replaced it when i replaced the clutch last fall:

Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Agree with above, prices are not bad for the amount of work involved. Of course be ready for the "while the clutch is out, do you want to put a new one in" thought. Going to cost another $350 - $400.

When the dual mass flywheel is out, clean it up with a Scotch Brite pad (maroon) along with the pressure plate, check for leaking...actually more of ozzing out of the flywheel. Do not let a shop resurface the flywheel....that will destroy it.

I have replaced the rear main seal myself in my garage....was quite a bit of work...but not impossible. Does require a garage, floor jack, transmission jack, four jack stands, not be a large or have helper with smaller hands to be able to get to the beam nuts, hand tools, time.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Main Seal Help

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal Help