Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM
RicksC4
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rough

Hello Everyone,

New here but not new to Vette ownership.

I have a 96 LT1 Automatic with 113k on it.

Issues - Strong fuel smell and rough idle. Steady check engine light - flashing at idle.

It's running rough with a strong fuel smell. The check engine light flashes sometimes but jumping pins 4 to 12 shows no codes. I get C12 which is good.

I should mention everything started after it shut down on me. I was coasting at about 20mph. Temp was normal. no flashing lights. It just turned off. I had it towed home and determined the fuel pump quit. Once I replaced the pump, strainer, assembly with sending unit the issues began. I then replaced the fuel filter. But no change. Still rough.

In the last 30 days I've replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel pump, strainer with the entire assembly with sending unit and the fuel filter. The tank is nearly full and it was filled less than 2 weeks ago.

When I turn the key, the pink wire at the MAF is getting current (used a simple test light). Tested evap canister solenoid (disconnected wires and hoses - could not get air to flow through freely by blowing into it - a good thing. No visible fuel leaks at tank, filter or rails. They're all dry.

Gonna get under it this weekend and check the evap canister.

Also considering removing cats to inspect/replace or eliminate.

Btw, it'll run and accelerate strong. I'm just not sure I should drive it untill I take care of the strong fuel smell.

Also, I was getting a code for the O2 sensor - passenger side.

I tested the wires leading to the MAF. The car ran the same with MAF disconnected. It should have been worse with the MAF disconnected right? Unless it's bad.

Recommendations on a particular OBD 2 scanner?

My last Vette was an 85. This one is different.

Some input would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Put a fuel pressure gauge and see if it's holding pressure. You could also ohm the injectors. I guess i'm just wondering if you've got leaking injectors causing the overly rich condition.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM
RicksC4
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a shot. Thnx

Get notified of new replies

To Running Rough

Quick Reply: Running Rough