C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Headlight motor will not stop running

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 PM
smurf5995
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Headlight motor will not stop running

As the title implies, the drivers side head light motor will not stop running in the up position. About a year ago I replaced the gears as they were stripped. Everything worked fine for e few months and then the motor would not stop running in the down or up position. I have replaced the gears again, however now the motor will not stop running when the lights are in the up position. I have replaced all three relays but this had no affect. There has to be something in the motor that tells it to turn off when open or closed....what is it? What is my solution, short of buying a new motor.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

When you had the motor out to change the gear, did you happen to take the armature out of the second part of the case??. There is a part that snaps into a groove in the shaft that has to fit properly into the case, this piece shifts to open contacts in the case as the armature hits the end travel stops.. The first shows the part on the shaft. it shifts to open one or the other set of contacts to shut the motor off..
[URL=http://s270.photobucket.com/user/ccrazor/media/84headlightmotor.jpg.html][/URL

Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 AM
smurf5995
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the armature was out of the slot, however, I was carful to notice how it came out and went back in. It is properly installed. I originally replaced the gears and everything was fine. Then one day I get to work and hear the motor to the light was still running while the lights were in the up position.. This caused the gears to become stripped. I replaced the gears, but it seems like I still have the same problem...motor does not stop when in the up position.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smurf5995
Y I replaced the gears, but it seems like I still have the same problem...motor does not stop when in the up position.
Stills sounds like the armature is not correctly engaging the limit switch detailed in post # 2

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Headlight motor will not stop running

Quick Reply: C4 Headlight motor will not stop running