C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LED turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 PM
brucem1952
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED turn signals

I recently installed LED tail lights and front turn signals along with the LED flasher. The lights and turn signals work great however, when I turn on the parking lights or headlights the turn signal indicators on the dash stay on. They will flash when you are making a turn but stay on all the time otherwise. I believe this indicates that the system thinks there is a blown bulb so should I add load equalizes to correct this problem?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have turn signal and tail light LEDs with an electronic flasher and everything works properly without load equalizers which are just resistors. I personally would stay away from the load equalizers they just put more load on your electrical system and generate heat. Double check everything and make sure you didn't miss something. It sounds light you have something that is back feeding 12 volts to your indicator lights. The flasher should be a two prong without the ground wire.

T

Last edited by BigT2; 07-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What year 'vette?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Its only money
Cruising

Default LED bulbs

I put all L E D bulbs in my 95,(interior and exterior) from corvette mods. @ one point while installing my turn signal bulbs the same thing happened to me! With the lights on my left turn signal light stayed lite on the dash. I removed one L E D bulb at a time and turned it around in the socket until I found the correct one. L E D bulbs can only work properly one way. They look great! By the way, Corvette Mods is a great company and stand behind there products. I broke one of my L E D backup bulbs and they replaced it @ no cost although I wanted to pay for it since it was my fault.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Its only money
L E D bulbs can only work properly one way.
Usually true because LEDs are polarized.

SuperBrightLEDs gets around that by putting a diode bridge in their LED bulbs to steer the current. They work both ways.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM
brucem1952
Cruising

Originally Posted by BigT2
I have turn signal and tail light LEDs with an electronic flasher and everything works properly without load equalizers which are just resistors. I personally would stay away from the load equalizers they just put more load on your electrical system and generate heat. Double check everything and make sure you didn't miss something. It sounds light you have something that is back feeding 12 volts to your indicator lights. The flasher should be a two prong without the ground wire.

T
Sounds like you may have hit on it. I purchased 2 flashers from Eckler's and they have a ground wire. I know I connected it because I used one of the screws that holds the knee plate it place. An electrician friend did mention that it probably had to do with a ground connection.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 AM
brucem1952
Cruising

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
What year 'vette?
90 coupe
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM
brucem1952
Cruising

Originally Posted by brucem1952
Sounds like you may have hit on it. I purchased 2 flashers from Eckler's and they have a ground wire. I know I connected it because I used one of the screws that holds the knee plate it place. An electrician friend did mention that it probably had to do with a ground connection.
would it work by just disconnecting the ground or must it have no ground wire at all? If so, who sells the flasher without the ground?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 AM
brucem1952
Cruising

Originally Posted by BigT2

T
According to Eckler's, if you replace the tail lights with LED assemblies(which I did) you need two flashers. One for the directionals and one for the e flashers. Since the car was built in 1990 before LEDs, where would you put the second flasher? Something doesn't sound right.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 96 I only changed one flasher. I bought it locally at a place that sells a lot of parts for trucks. I don't know if it will work without the ground wire connected. Do a search for LED bulbs here in the C4 section because someone posted a photo of the flasher with a part number.

T

Get notified of new replies

To LED turn signals

Quick Reply: LED turn signals