C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 AM
chuckndonna
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leaks

The oil leaks under the car near the oil pan for 4 years have been small. Lately the amount has increased till its staining my driveway and garage severally. I took it in for diagnosis. Here's what they claim to have found: transmission pan and selector shaft seal leaking; power steering pump leaking; valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket leaking oil. This is engine type oil leaking so I am more concerned about the valve cover gasket and intake leaking. Is this a big project to undertake? Or would I be better off letting a mechanic garage tear it apart? Thoughts or suggestions please!https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ilies/ack2.gif
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

It always helps if you include the year of your vette. If you have any wrenching ability changing the gaskets isn't that big a job.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckndonna
The oil leaks under the car near the oil pan for 4 years have been small. Lately the amount has increased till its staining my driveway and garage severally. I took it in for diagnosis. Here's what they claim to have found: transmission pan and selector shaft seal leaking; power steering pump leaking; valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket leaking oil. This is engine type oil leaking so I am more concerned about the valve cover gasket and intake leaking. Is this a big project to undertake? Or would I be better off letting a mechanic garage tear it apart? Thoughts or suggestions please!https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ilies/ack2.gif
Hi
Good idea to post the year of your vette.

The usual oil leak areas are the intake manifold at the front or rear 'china wall' seal, that area is only sealed with a thin layer of silicone on l98 engines. The main leaks are usually at the rocker cover gasket or the oil pressure sender near distributor.

Good idea to pressure clean the engine, take care not to spray the air pump or alternator. If you have a LT1 do not spray the opti.
Then take the car for a drive and jack the car up, look for leaks under the car and above.

The rubber type rocker cover gaskets are really good, no sealant needed at all to be oil tight.

The rear main (there are 2 different types the pre 86 a 2 piece that can easily be replaced by removing the sump, oil pump and rear main bearing. the 86 onward have a one piece rear main seal that needs the transmission removed to replace.

Good luck
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrazor
It always helps if you include the year of your vette. If you have any wrenching ability changing the gaskets isn't that big a job.
Might be a '87 L98 Vert
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM
chuckndonna
Intermediate

Default Oil Leaks

Originally Posted by ccrazor
Thanks. I have updated my profile so now have the Vette in place. Its an '87, L98.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:36 PM
chuckndonna
Intermediate

Default Oil leaks

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
Good idea to post the year of your vette.

The usual oil leak areas are the intake manifold at the front or rear 'china wall' seal, that area is only sealed with a thin layer of silicone on l98 engines. The main leaks are usually at the rocker cover gasket or the oil pressure sender near distributor.

Good idea to pressure clean the engine, take care not to spray the air pump or alternator. If you have a LT1 do not spray the opti.
Then take the car for a drive and jack the car up, look for leaks under the car and above.

The rubber type rocker cover gaskets are really good, no sealant needed at all to be oil tight.

The rear main (there are 2 different types the pre 86 a 2 piece that can easily be replaced by removing the sump, oil pump and rear main bearing. the 86 onward have a one piece rear main seal that needs the transmission removed to replace.

Good luck
Thanks. I have updated my profile so now have the Vette in place. Its an '87, L98. Your last comment about the rear main seal is what dealerships really rack up the price to fix.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
chuckndonna
Intermediate

Default Oil Leaks

Originally Posted by Just BOB
Might be a '87 L98 Vert
Bob, Thanks. I have updated my profile so now have the Vette in place. Its an '87, L98.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckndonna
Bob, Thanks. I have updated my profile so now have the Vette in place. Its an '87, L98.
Roger that! And now it shows up right there under your name, along with your location! Some problems tend to be location dependent (like heater woes in July - in Australia), plus, you never know when someone who lives nearby might volunteer a hand. An extra set of eyes and ears can help with the troubleshooting sometimes.)

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leaks

Quick Reply: Oil Leaks