C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stoplights Malfunction.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Bakertech
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoplights Malfunction.

I found out I had no Stoplights other than the Centre Hign Mounted Stop Light.
After perusing the Manual for all available info and spending many hours under the dash, I am going to share some info.
There are 3 switches activated by the Brake Pedal. From Left to Right, Clutch, Brake and Stop lights.
The centre one is ONLY for disengaging the Cruise Control. There is NO terminal that connects to the cavity. Only a Vacuum Line. The switch on the Right is for all Brake Lights. It can be disassembled and contacts cleaned. The GM Manual is not always correct! Especially the diagrams. Turns out there was a disconnected terminal but cost me $300 to have a Corvette Shop reconnect it. Somewhere in the Steering column I was told.
Reset the switches per the manual, pulling back hard on the brake pedal til no more 'clicks' are heard.
The switch is very simple, spring loaded contacts so it is likely something else.
Rudimentary check, if signals and hazard flashers work, likely not the switch.
There is a small capacitor taped to the 4 cavity wires at the switch. The front two terminals on the switch are for the CHMSL. You can carefully open the switch, hang on to the plunger and slide some emery cloth or emery board between the contacts, followed by a clean cloth.
A paper clip inserted in the 2 prong terminal which connects to the switch should illuminate the CHMSL.
There is reference on the www re connectors at steering column etc., which feed the 4 Brake Lights.

Regards
Gordo
96 CE LT4

Quick Reply: Stoplights Malfunction.