Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Got my 94 back after the windshield install..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

Default Got my 94 back after the windshield install..

well, after several days at the dealer and dealing with the insurance company and then window frame rust, i finally got my car back yesterday afternoon. i'm marginally happy with the install. the windshield looks great but the weatherstripping is ill fitting on the passenger side a-pillar. the dealer stated that i should leave the car out in the heat with the windows up and the seal should stretch and form to the window, eliminating the slight water leak there. here are some pics of the whole deal, please let me know what you guys think:

here are some before pics of the rust that the dealer repaired:

and here are the pics i took yesterday after i brought the car home:

right side ill fitting section:

left side:

overall:

Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

I wouldn't be marginally happy with that. The trim isn't even on correctly on one corner. That result is why I decided to live with the small crack in mine. If it were mine, I'd be complaining about two or three places on that job.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Although the dealer is correct about the heat and such, it's just not that tough to glue and screw it in place without the puckering the w-strip.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I'm not sure what they did, but the skinnier piece should go under the wider piece. On mine the piece at the top of the windshield is on top, your's looks like it should be the other way. Mine is 94.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 06-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

mine is a 94 as well and I was thinking the same thing. the top trim piece should overlap the side trim piece. i'm not overly pleased with the install. I called the dealer and they did say that the work is guaranteed and that I could bring it back for adjustment. I think I will take them up on that. the car is a driver, not a show car, but I want it to be done right and look the way it did when I brought the car to them.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

That molding looks absolutely unacceptable. It's hideous. I would be back there first things tomorrow with pictures of what it should look like. This scares the hell out of me- I hope my WS never breaks.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

The trim work around the windshield is definitely on wrong, the long piece that goes across the top of the windshield should tuck in both corners for a nice finished look. I can't understand how some of these guys call themselves professionals, that doesn't even look right to the naked eye.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Also someone puked in the back.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope for their sakes they didn't use any adhesive. Fitting the windshield trim IMO is the most important part of the system to enable proper sealing. Not only do you have to put a sealing strip backer on the moulding you have to install the screws in the same place as before. Unless they didn't put the windshield in the same exact position as before. The windshield trim should also be sealed to the windshield otherwise water and air will force it's way under the trim. My point is that everything should be treated as a system. I was worried for you when I heard you were getting the car back so soon. Looks like they'll have to replace the windshield trim and weatherstripping. Basically start over from where the windshield was installed. Don't settle for anything that doesn't look right. Insist they do a water test and if you hear wind while driving with the windows up it will leak. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Here's a picture of the driver's side, in case you want to show the dealer.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

i appreciate all of the advice. i will take the car back to the dealer on Tuesday and insist that the work is done correctly. i would take it in tomorrow but i'm replacing the right rear wheel bearing tomorrow and already set aside the time in the afternoon for it. there really isn't a ton of wind noise, but its worse than before. i just don't understand why a professional installer would send the work out as a finished product when it looks as bad as my car does. its really dissapointing.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
i appreciate all of the advice. i will take the car back to the dealer on Tuesday and insist that the work is done correctly. i would take it in tomorrow but i'm replacing the right rear wheel bearing tomorrow and already set aside the time in the afternoon for it. there really isn't a ton of wind noise, but its worse than before. i just don't understand why a professional installer would send the work out as a finished product when it looks as bad as my car does. its really dissapointing.
That is exactly my point. You don't even have to be a pro to tell that it just doesn't look right. Good luck man, hope everything works out.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mazdaverx7;1584293170...i just don't understand why a professional installer would send the work out as a finished product when it looks as bad as my car does. its really dissapointing.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Quittin' time, and break time, and lunch time, and smoke breaks trump quality workmanship 9 times out of 10 these days
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

i talked to the dealer yesterday and they agreed to install a new seal and trim. i explained to the service guys that the seal leaked water and air and i felt that it was an unacceptable install. they gave me no issues what so ever about making the car right. we'll see how it goes on round two. they are going to order the new seal and trim and call me when it comes in and then i can bring the car down and leave it for the day while they correct the issues.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kimmer
Also someone puked in the back.
hahaha it does kinda look like puke. the carpet has lost all of the red fibers in that area and i'm left with that white spot. its on the list of things to repair. almost seems never ending between the 84 and this car.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha it does kinda look like puke. the carpet has lost all of the red fibers in that area and i'm left with that white spot. its on the list of things to repair. almost seems never ending between the 84 and this car.
Red Sharpie marker might work in the meantime....
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
XR_Strider_GuY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a thick cut pile carpet specifically for the hatch area and it will cover it up nicely. Also has cuts so you can open the little compartment area's. To refit the upright part of the carpet with spray adhesive glue doesn't look to hard.

I really like your C4 and in Australia we can no longer bring in your model C4. Hope they sort out the windscreen frame back to factory look.

Get notified of new replies

To Got my 94 back after the windshield install..

Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM
mxw128
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
The trim work around the windshield is definitely on wrong, the long piece that goes across the top of the windshield should tuck in both corners for a nice finished look. I can't understand how some of these guys call themselves professionals, that doesn't even look right to the naked eye.

I would take it back and have them do it right. Did you say it was a Chevy dealer? That job would be totally unacceptable.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

yes, the job is being done at the Chevy dealer. i was disappointed to say the least.

the carpet in the rear that covers the PKE antenna is ripped where it mounts to the studs and was folded over when i bought the car last year. i used some nice and strong 3M velcro instead of a glue type adhesive to temporarily repair the carpet. a new carpet section is on the list of things to repair. windshield first, then hard top weatherstripping, then tires, then carpet, then corner lens. then maybe paint.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

what in the world happened to your windshield?

why do the reflections appear 'circular' in the corner of the new windshield? !!

what kind of weatherstrip was use?

I recently re-did my weatherstrip using wilcox (they get it from corvette rubber, weatherstrip made in cadillac, michigan). Wilcox has a better price on it then buying it direct from corvette rubber. This weatherstrip fit great, no leaks, and no warpage like you can see on your picture on the passenger side.

I guess I got lucky as there was no rust in my channels. I didnt use glue during the re-install because the corvette rubber weatherstrip fit tight and solid in the channels.

Im sorry to see you go thru this, I want to see it made right. good luck (beautiful 6spd car).

Quick Reply: Got my 94 back after the windshield install..