Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How much better is the Z51 Package vs Stock for handling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

So if I have FX3, what is the recommended upgrade? Street and maybe a little quarter mile action once in a long while. I do tend to stomp on the pedal whenever I can but can't find the time to go on the quarter mile track. Stock tires and when it is done, poly bushings all over.

Are ebay used springs a good thing? I heard that the spring is non metal and nicks can be bad.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklim
So if I have FX3, what is the recommended upgrade? Street and maybe a little quarter mile action once in a long while. I do tend to stomp on the pedal whenever I can but can't find the time to go on the quarter mile track. Stock tires and when it is done, poly bushings all over.

Are ebay used springs a good thing? I heard that the spring is non metal and nicks can be bad.
If you look enough via Google, or if you have the right Corvette book, you will find that you can change the PROM that controls the damping settings on the FX3 system. If you cannot find any info, just call Bilstein USA. I think they still sell the replacement PROMS. They allow you to all for stiffer damping at MUCH lower speeds than the factory PROM does. e.g. In thte lowest setting (Touring), the factory PROM does not move off the softest damping until you hit 50 mph. You also don't hit the stiffest damping until 150 mph (no kidding). Research this a bit, and you will be amazed.

Jim G
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
If you look enough via Google, or if you have the right Corvette book, you will find that you can change the PROM that controls the damping settings on the FX3 system. If you cannot find any info, just call Bilstein USA. I think they still sell the replacement PROMS. They allow you to all for stiffer damping at MUCH lower speeds than the factory PROM does. e.g. In thte lowest setting (Touring), the factory PROM does not move off the softest damping until you hit 50 mph. You also don't hit the stiffest damping until 150 mph (no kidding). Research this a bit, and you will be amazed.

Jim G
What is the recommended reprogram numbers since 150 is obviously silly?

Also what springs do you recommend since I probably have FX3 springs and swaybars? TIA
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklim
What is the recommended reprogram numbers since 150 is obviously silly?

Also what springs do you recommend since I probably have FX3 springs and swaybars? TIA
If you direct this question at me, you are asking the wrong guy. I'm a total newbie on suspension, primarily because it is far from being one of my priorities, at least right now.

But others on this forum might know a lot and could answer your questions?

Jim G

Quick Reply: How much better is the Z51 Package vs Stock for handling?