C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

RM-6039 ls swap bellhoung...confused

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default RM-6039 ls swap bellhoung...confused

From everything I have read about ls swaps in C4 Corvettes I have found that Quicktime RM-6039 allows one to reuse the zf6 with the ls engine.

Here is my confusion.
I understand there are differences between the ls and sbc.
To my knowledge you need a thick flywheel or spacer and an extended pilot bushing/bearing to use an sbc manual w/an ls.
I also understand the RM-6039 is meant for ls swaps and will not work on sbc engines.

The confusion, I am gathering parts for an ls swap and have the mentioned bellhousing.
I had a lot of clutch problems a while ago, and figured I would try using the bellhousing I got for the swap with my lt1 currently installed in the car.
I did not expect it to work, but everything bolted together. There no modification needed other then making a clutch slave bracket, and changing to a push style clutch.

What I would like to know.
Is it a ls swap bellhousing?
Am I Close on the difference between lt1/sbc and ls trasmission differences?

If my understanding is correct will I need a extended pilot bearing/bushing for the swap?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyowner
From everything I have read about ls swaps in C4 Corvettes I have found that Quicktime RM-6039 allows one to reuse the zf6 with the ls engine.

Here is my confusion.
I understand there are differences between the ls and sbc.
To my knowledge you need a thick flywheel or spacer and an extended pilot bushing/bearing to use an sbc manual w/an ls.
I also understand the RM-6039 is meant for ls swaps and will not work on sbc engines.

The confusion, I am gathering parts for an ls swap and have the mentioned bellhousing.
I had a lot of clutch problems a while ago, and figured I would try using the bellhousing I got for the swap with my lt1 currently installed in the car.
I did not expect it to work, but everything bolted together. There no modification needed other then making a clutch slave bracket, and changing to a push style clutch.

What I would like to know.
Is it a ls swap bellhousing?
Am I Close on the difference between lt1/sbc and ls trasmission differences?

If my understanding is correct will I need a extended pilot bearing/bushing for the swap?
A 6039 is an LT/LS housing. The flywheel/clutch you choose will dictate the balance of the install. Do you have only the housing or also the mounting plate engine to housing? The 6039 is for the ZF "ONLY" transmission application, no others. The QuickTime applications get confusing when going from the Lakewood product through the Mr Gasket changes then to QuickTime and maybe even back a while to Lakewood. The conventional pilot bushing/bearing should do well.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-19-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Just the housing I forgot to install the front sheet metal like plate before installing the housing. There are also no spacers.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Here is the QuickTime applications and it's like I thought, it does "ALL" so long as the ZF is used. This might help you:

http://info.prestoliteperformance.co...010_74512G.pdf
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the answer.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Thanks for the answer.
I believe you should use either the plate or the LT shim stock, block to bell-housing for a fit. You can check all of the starter pinion gaps to ring gear etc to confirm the ring gear placement and all could be good. Whose release bearing are you using? Whose clutch? Did the pivot ball come with the housing when new?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

sorry forgot about this.
Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe you should use either the plate or the LT shim stock, block to bell-housing for a fit. You can check all of the starter pinion gaps to ring gear etc to confirm the ring gear placement and all could be good. Whose release bearing are you using? Whose clutch? Did the pivot ball come with the housing when new?
don't know about a LT shim stock.
I am using the clutch kit for an 88 camaro 305 5-speed
release bearing from clutch kit ^
Yes it had a clutch pivot, but I lost it and got a Mr Gasket adjustable.
I have now driven the car over 3300 miles after doing this.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

sorry forgot about this.

don't know about a LT shim stock.
I am using the clutch kit for an 88 camaro 305 5-speed
release bearing from clutch kit ^
Yes it had a clutch pivot, but I lost it and got a Mr Gasket adjustable.
I have now driven the car over 3300 miles after doing this.
The only thing I guess I would question then is I guess the fit of the release bearing to the guide tube on the front of the ZF. It's an unusual package that you've assembled but if it works then all is well.

Get notified of new replies

To RM-6039 ls swap bellhoung...confused

Quick Reply: RM-6039 ls swap bellhoung...confused