C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What are the concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

Default What are the concerns?

i recently got a nasty crack in the front windshield of my 94 Corvette. the insurance company is covering the damage by replacing the windshield at no cost to us. what are the concerns with having the windshield replaced by a glass company? are there any parts that they may damage, i.e. trim or weatherstripping? is there any prep work anyone recommends prior to the glass company's arrival?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure they use OEM quality. Some aftermarket glass is impossible to clean.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would shop around to get someone who has experience with replacing C4 galss! I would be afraid of the trim pieces breaking.

Also make sure what they will pay for, I recently had my 2007 Tacoma windshield replaced and wanted factory glass back in it and they said no way because, the aftermarket replacement windshield was $235 and Toyota glass was $900
Old 06-15-2013, 04:03 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

what did you end up going with? state farm said that i could take it to the dealer and get a quote and if it was over what their books say is fair for a 94 Vette windshield replacement, i would have to pay the difference out of pocket.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

I opted for the cheaper one, I didn't want to spend $700 more to get a Toyota one and get it busted again! I did that the first time after I had the truck for 2 weeks and caught a huge rock in it, but back then it only cost me $435 for a factory one. It's a good windshield that Safelite put in, but you can tell it's not factory!

If I were to get a new one for my vette, it would be a factory one.

You'll have to let me know how much more they want for the factory one.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Safelite quoted $395. Got an estimate from a Corvette shop that said Safelite didn't replace all the seals and the metal trim would bend when forced off and would need replacement and are not in production. The windshield seal (that goes across the top and down the pillars is over $400 alone). They said Safelite only uses "goop" and does not replace the trim. The Corvette shop estimate was $1200.
I opted to try "repair" first and will see if it gets worse. Mine was in the lower corner near the dash, so not in view. It is a 94 convertible.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

That's what I figured! That's why I would go for a "Corvette Shop" that know's what they are doing, otherwise your trim will get messed up!

I don't think $1,200 is a bad price!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

A couple of years ago State Farm replaced mine on my '94 at no charge to me. I used a local shop.

They used a new weatherstrip since the old one was damaged during removal. The weatherstrip (unknown brand) they used was junk. At the front edge of the side windows there was a bulge in the weatherstrip and the windows would not seal against it.

They replaced the weatherstrip with a Willcox weatherstrip and it was much better quality and fit.

All in all, it was a pain getting it repaired. But on the good side, I had a section of the dash that was raising up along the windshield and while the window was out I was able to glue it back down flat again.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
i recently got a nasty crack in the front windshield of my 94 Corvette. the insurance company is covering the damage by replacing the windshield at no cost to us. what are the concerns with having the windshield replaced by a glass company? are there any parts that they may damage, i.e. trim or weatherstripping? is there any prep work anyone recommends prior to the glass company's arrival?
Make sure whatever company you choose to do the work has replaced a windshield on a C4 before. You'll need to get another good quality weatherstrip(Willcox)because the one you have now will probably be damaged during the removal process. Good luck, let us know how everything turns out.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

ok will do. i'll call t=he company on monday and ask them if they have experience in replacing C4 windshields. the weather stripping is my biggest concern. as of now i have a great seal and a quiet ride and i would like the same with a new windshield.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Good to know that if you want it done right - go GM oem replacement glass .
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

i stopped by the dealer today and they said that an oem windshield and the upper window seal are no longer available
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

You guys should just be happy you don't have to find a replacement for the ZR-1 windshields. It's the one part that is truly impossible to find - and if you do find one, they seem to start at $3000 and go up from there. That's one reason a lot of ZR-1 guys are replacing their windshelds with the base Corvette windshields.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

i don't blame them. if its not a concourse show car then i would do the same thing. anyone know why they delaminate so badly?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM
blue_74
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
You guys should just be happy you don't have to find a replacement for the ZR-1 windshields. It's the one part that is truly impossible to find - and if you do find one, they seem to start at $3000 and go up from there. That's one reason a lot of ZR-1 guys are replacing their windshelds with the base Corvette windshields.
I didn't realize a ZR-1 windshield was different. What's different about it versus the standard Corvette windshield?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_74
I didn't realize a ZR-1 windshield was different. What's different about it versus the standard Corvette windshield?
ZR-1 windshields have a reflective coating sandwiched in between the glass layers. When the ZR-1 was being developed, GM PT engineering could not find an A/C unit powerful enough to fit the available space (given the large size of the LT5). Since GM has cabin temperature standards that they must meet in a variety of conditions, it was suggested that having a reflective coating on the windshield would reduce the load required by the A/C unit to achieve their standards - and they could thus use a smaller A/C unit. One interesting problem GM ran into during testing was that the reflective windshield did not allow radar detectors to work, so they have a cutout in the reflective coating to allow for the attachment of a radar detector. You can identify the ZR-1 windshields because that have a pinkish hue in sunlight as opposed to the completely clear look of the base windshields.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

well the installer will be here any moment. if he has not replaced a C4 windshield before i think i will send him away respectfully. when i inquired about replacing the windshield at the dealer, they too stated that they subcontract the windshield replacement out. only got 2 hours of sleep so far today. had my wife wake me up about 10 and got home form work at 7 and fell asleep somewhere around 8. its already strike 1 as we told the company for a LATE afternoon replacement time, as it would enable me to sleep for a bit and be out there supervising the installer like a hawk during the install. good news is..i guess...the upon inspection of the current windshield, it appears that it has been replaced at some point in the past as the glass is not original.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the concerns?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

they got here and couldn't finish the job. the metal window moldings were apparently glued down and since they didn't offer replacements they stopped at that. they tore the upper portion of the windshield gasket and said i need to get the parts and reschedule. i put the window seal back on as best as i could..with a few tears of course... and bolted the top back in place. i called the insurance company and the car is now approved to be taken to the local Chevrolet dealer. i've been talking to Corvette America about their U.S. made rubber window seal and the dealer said they have a source for quality metal window moldings. as soon as they can acquire the moldings and the window seal then i will bring the car down and have it done at the dealer.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
they got here and couldn't finish the job. the metal window moldings were apparently glued down and since they didn't offer replacements they stopped at that. they tore the upper portion of the windshield gasket and said i need to get the parts and reschedule. i put the window seal back on as best as i could..with a few tears of course... and bolted the top back in place. i called the insurance company and the car is now approved to be taken to the local Chevrolet dealer. i've been talking to Corvette America about their U.S. made rubber window seal and the dealer said they have a source for quality metal window moldings. as soon as they can acquire the moldings and the window seal then i will bring the car down and have it done at the dealer.
Non availability of trim and mouldings is exactly why I opted to return the insurance money and try the epoxy fix. The estimate was $1200 IF they could find the metal mouldings and they never did find the passenger side vertical black metal moulding. The quality top and side seal for the convertible alone was $485. The insurance check was $435 and I returned it to Hagerty. Should have kept it, they still counted it as a claim and raised my deductible from zero to $500.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

they did remove those screws..

Quick Reply: What are the concerns?