Looking to purchase my first Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Arodman
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Looking to purchase my first Corvette

Hi all!

I am looking to purchase my first corvette. I always wanted one and now seems to be the time (hopefully). I found a 1996, with 57,900 miles, it has 2 owner. The current owner bought it back in 1997 and now looking to sell (states the car does not get driven much so decided its time to go). He says he can produce Maintenance records, its was state inspected, no issues except routine Maintenance, (new battery and tires), everything else original parts.

I was not able to see yet, I sent my friend to look it over, he gave it a thumbs up.

he said, good paint, good exceleration, responsive steering, all pluses.

The drawbacks front tires are good for about another year, ( all 4 non- runflats it has 2 tops (glass and hardtop) the hard top seems to have some tree sap stains on it (may not be able to remove). Other than that my friend said the exterior and interior is in VG-Near Mint condition.

My questions are what should I be looking for when I see it?

* I would to take it to a Mechanic to go over the car first, What should I ask him to look over besides the basics for a used car?

*With only 57,000 does it make sense to have a compression test done, if so how much would that cost (if you know)?

*Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 96 with around 58,000 miles on it back in 2007. It's always ran perfect and now has 83,000 miles on it. One thing that I'd tell you is expect to pay the "Corvette tax". You usually have to pay more for tires and other parts, etc. Remember, it's a 17 year-old car so if you don't do the maintenance and repairs yourself it can be an expensive car to own.

Some of the things that I’ve had to do is replace the battery, serp belt, weather strip around the top, brakes, rotors and the tires. The shocks are next on my list. It all adds up to $$$$$$$$$.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Gary96; 06-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you turn wrenches or have the $$ for maintenance then these C4s are great fun cars.

Don't worry about a compression test. My prior '88 had >200k miles, many 1/4mile at a time, and compression was still good.

Check that all fluids are clean, that all accessories work properly, examine WS at corners of rear hatch & across windshield header.

If you plan to drive in winter I suggest a good all-weather tire.

You can check pricing of comparable vehicles on Auto Trader.

Take a look/drive, if you feel it's "your car" then go for it and enjoy.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:07 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Arodman
* I would to take it to a Mechanic to go over the car first, What should I ask him to look over besides the basics for a used car?
Nothing...it's just like any other car so he just needs to do a routine check like he would with any other car.

Is this an automatic or standard? If it's a standard then it has the LT-4 which is a big plus. Get a list of the RPO codes...inside compartment lid behind passenger seat. Post them here (or look them up) and we can tell you what goodies the car has.

You may need tires sooner rather than later...it's common for a lot of vettes to have tires that need to be replaced from age rather than wear since the majority of vettes are not daily drivers...expect between $1000-$1500 for all 4's. Find out how old the tires are, don't just go by tread wear.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a nice car.

The acid test for an old C4 (which is all of them) is this; Can you do at least most of your own wrenching? If not, a C4 can and will bankrupt you in repairs, if you can even find someone willing to work on it. If yes, a C4 can be kept running forever for a reasonable sum of money and will give you a huge bang for the buck in driving fun.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

This is indeed a big consideration in buying a C4. Deep pockets or good skills are important. Both are ideal; one is necessary to avoid a frustrating experience.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately, there is a lot of information on how to fix the most common problems yourself. This forum is a great example of that! I see people die everyday, so my motto is, BUY IT! It is far more common to regret what you didn't do verses what you did do. These cars are amazing, even today.

It sounds like a really nice car. Give us some details. Standard or automatic? Price? etc.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Arodman
Instructor

Default my first Vette

It is a big step for me been thinking about it for awhile now, from what I have read on the net, great car but some quirky things that can go wrong. Basic items I can do complex issues hmm. The car, as the owner told me really never been driven much as stated by the 58K miles, Its been hit twice one by a deer and was bump at a stop sign both times danage was fixed. Interior, driver side min wear and the passager seat looks new (never been sat on) again this is what my friend who saw it told me.

It is an Automatic base with 2 tops.
My question is the miles in nothing but the age 17 yrs is what is on my mind, regarding parts needing replacement. One note with the owner having it this long 16yrs I would think the car was cared for and not abused.
I know I will need tires next year, anything else I've hear that th "Opti spark" ignition has a issues, anything else I should be concerned with?
there is a rattle in the drivers door. I plan to see it this week

Thanks
Arod
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Arodman
Instructor

Default first car

sorry fogot price well its under $12K
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Bout' Time
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents. I am not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench. Last month I bought a showroom condition, 24,000 mile, brand new tires, 1 owner 1995 torch red for $12,000. SO MANY people buy a corvette and don't drive it. I live in Upstate NY. If you are able to spend $12,000 do not settle for anything less than a MINT C4. I looked at MANY $8,000 to $10,000 C4's. Save your money til you have $2,000 more and get a showroom C4 for $12,000. Sounds crazy, but the C4's I looked at for $12,000 were WAY better than $8,000-$10,000 ones. Yes, some people told me I should not spend more than $10,000 on a C4. I disagree. The looks/respects/comments my 1995 gets has floored me. At a local cruise in recently, they were 2 C2's (old guys liked them), many C3's and C5's (nice cars), but people kept asking about my C4- it was the only one there. People kept saying the lines LOOKED BETTER than other vetter there and I was not fishing for their comments. When I opened the clamshell- people LOVE IT.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Do buy the nicest one you can afford. Buying a nice specimen up front is far cheaper than trying to rehab a ratty one. And cruising is always more fun than wrenching.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arodman
It is a big step for me been thinking about it for awhile now, from what I have read on the net, great car but some quirky things that can go wrong. Basic items I can do complex issues hmm. The car, as the owner told me really never been driven much as stated by the 58K miles, Its been hit twice one by a deer and was bump at a stop sign both times danage was fixed. Interior, driver side min wear and the passager seat looks new (never been sat on) again this is what my friend who saw it told me.

It is an Automatic base with 2 tops.
My question is the miles in nothing but the age 17 yrs is what is on my mind, regarding parts needing replacement. One note with the owner having it this long 16yrs I would think the car was cared for and not abused.
I know I will need tires next year, anything else I've hear that th "Opti spark" ignition has a issues, anything else I should be concerned with?
there is a rattle in the drivers door. I plan to see it this week

Thanks
Arod
The only issue that I've heard about the Opti spark ignition is that you don't want to get it wet (don't open the hood and use a power washer to clean the engine).
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Joycey989
Advanced

I am 20 years old now. When i was 18 I bought a 1991 vert. Its been a joy to have. I have learned so much about cars by owning the car and fixing little things on my own. Its pricey to own especially while paying for school without loans. But its worth it. When im not working or in school you can bet im doing something car related. Buy it. If worst comes to worst you can sell it again. We are all here to help with any car problems you got.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Arodman
Instructor

thanks for all your imput, I'm just torn between the age of the car vs low mileage. Price is about what I want to pay for my first Vette, but I don't want to pass up a very nice car for the a couple of thousand if at all possible.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Joycey989
Advanced

I bought mine to enjoy and drive and learn how to do stuff off. 1996 is a good year. mines old and had somethings replaced but still worth it. Make sure to check all of the lines and hoses.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Philsphan
Racer

Its true what some of these guys say about it bankrupting you in repairs. Mines an 88 anniversary coupe. This week i recently had to have the ignition control module,starter,alternator, spark plugs and a tune done to get the car running again. Luckily im in the Navy and have access to emergency money if i need it. I would go for this 96. 8 years newer then mine plus alot of the kinks were worked out by 96. Usually the final model runs are the strongest.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bout' Time
My 2 cents. I am not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench. Last month I bought a showroom condition, 24,000 mile, brand new tires, 1 owner 1995 torch red for $12,000. SO MANY people buy a corvette and don't drive it. I live in Upstate NY. If you are able to spend $12,000 do not settle for anything less than a MINT C4. I looked at MANY $8,000 to $10,000 C4's. Save your money til you have $2,000 more and get a showroom C4 for $12,000. Sounds crazy, but the C4's I looked at for $12,000 were WAY better than $8,000-$10,000 ones. Yes, some people told me I should not spend more than $10,000 on a C4. I disagree. The looks/respects/comments my 1995 gets has floored me. At a local cruise in recently, they were 2 C2's (old guys liked them), many C3's and C5's (nice cars), but people kept asking about my C4- it was the only one there. People kept saying the lines LOOKED BETTER than other vetter there and I was not fishing for their comments. When I opened the clamshell- people LOVE IT.
You get waaaaaay more bang for your buck with a $12K C4 than an $8K C4!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to purchase my first Corvette

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM
roadcaqpt
Instructor

Sounds like good buy. If you have fillings in your teeth they will be shook out. If no back problems now you will have. Why do ya think there are so many low mile old cars out there?? I have a nice 95 C4 that my 93 an 95 Caddi Eldorado's ride real nice and do not get run away from by the C4. Have the C4 to show off in

Be Safe
Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM
inthechateau
3rd Gear

Rodman, I am enjoying your post as I too am about to make the big boy jump. Always wanted a Vette, but with kids, mortgage, and student loans never had the opportunity. As soon as I get home from my current deployment there will shortly there after be a C4 in my drive. Good luck on your search.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Arodman
Instructor

hey inthechateau thanks for your service! what year are you looking for? I originally was looking at 2000-2004 vettes but they seem to be a little pricey for me now. (wife is not totally on board with the purchase ) but if I can get one for the right price, which are what C-4s are at I am ok.

I like the idea that it is the last year of that model and this owner has had it for all but one yr. I am going to look at it next Thursday as the owner is going on a trip.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase my first Corvette