C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Buying a C4: Private Party Sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM
94flavette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buying a C4: Private Party Sale

Finally found my 'other' C4. I'll post more once it's sitting in my driveway (so I don't jinx anything).

I'm not a pro on private party deals, so is there anything I should do during this process? I've already test drove and inspected it fully. It's a same-state transaction and a cash deal. There's no lein on the title and everything seems to be straightforward.

Advice?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:54 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How are you planning to pay for it? I would suggest working with your bank to do a wire transfer instead of hauling cash around. If you want to use cash, make the deal at the seller's bank.

Once you and the seller agree on a price, your bank and the seller's bank will handle the money transaction electronically. Talk to your bank or CU to find out how everything works. There may be a small transaction fee, but it is safe and typically the transaction takes no more than 30 minutes to an hour.

Make sure the seller has the Certificate of Title at the time you make the deal. He has to sign off on the title releasing his interest as the legal owner. You enter your information on the title as the new owner and then take it to your DMV office for transfer and any fees to pay.

Get a Bill of Sale from the seller that shows his name, address, VIN, your name and address, and the selling price. If you do this at a bank, get the Bill of Sale notorized. Should only cost a couple bucks. Make sure that you get the current vehicle registration too. The Bill of Sale, Title, and registration will be suitable proof of ownership if you should get stopped for whatever reason.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:53 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought mine in Florida.

Needed a bill of sale because he had an out of state title, it did not need to be notarized however. The DMV just had to check the VIN on the car and my new title is in the mail. I did the registration there and got a new tag for her.

Tip: If you have any old license plates lying around take them with you, you might be able to reuse an old tag you never transferred and save 200+ bucks. If the tag you find is in your wifes name you will need her there as well (or a signed DMV power of attorney), and on the title.

My 85 was my second private owner purchase I have done in the last 10 years, in Florida it is pretty painless.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 PM
barney c4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is the c 4 you are buying
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

Just did this in FL. We made 1/2 the transaction at the bank, where I withdrew the money and made a cashiers check, then he signed the title over to me. Then we both went to the DMV together to make sure the title transferred properly. took about 45 minutes.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 PM
94flavette
Drifting

Originally Posted by barney c4
what year is the c 4 you are buying
Another 94.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When I bought the prior '88 from Corvette Mike in Ahaheim in 2000, I took a check from JJBest which I signed over to them in return for the notorized clean title.

When I bought the '88 IROC-Z from an ebay seller in Boston in 2006 I drove up with cash in hand, test drove the car, exchanged the cash for the title and signed BoS, left the car at his residence while I took the title to OH to get tags. I then got a 1-way rental to pick up the car and drive it to OH to complete the title and registration details.

If you have the cash in your hand, an exchange for the signed title and BoS should seal the deal. Verify that the VIN on the title matches that on the car.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:12 PM
94flavette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65Z01
When I bought the prior '88 from Corvette Mike in Ahaheim in 2000...

When I bought the '88 IROC-Z from an ebay seller in Boston in 2006...
1988 must've been your year!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by 94flavette
I'm not a pro on private party deals, so is there anything I should do during this process? I've already test drove and inspected it fully. It's a same-state transaction and a cash deal.
"Same State" makes it a lot easier. If the seller has verifiable residence, you should have no problem anyway the money is transferred.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just be sure you get a bill of sale and the title. Don't pay someone and expect to get the title in the mail. That's a recipe for disaster.

A thing I'm seeing here and there are that people will get title loans, and then sell the car. The title loans people repo the car, and the new owner is out, while the old owner got paid twice.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 AM
94flavette
Drifting

All is set!

I am meeting him tomorrow at the bank to withdraw the cash. He has title in hand. I will verify the Vin # matches the title and that we exchange a bill of sale.

The only wrinkle is that I called the bank today and they don't have enough cash on hand in anything other than small bills (thinking $20). Hopefully he'll go for a wire transfer so he doesn't have to bring a briefcase. The next closest bank of mine is about eight miles down the road.

We shall see.

I'm getting that nervous excited feeling! I'll take a pic once the deal is final!!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
94flavette
Drifting

All went well. A little nerve wracking when he took the tag off of it, but the local tag place was only a mile down the road and there was no line.

Pic as promised (waiting at the tag place). More detailed post in another thread.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 AM
barney c4
Intermediate

nice color
Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 AM
black88z51
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking vette congrat's!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 AM
WGlen C4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do love that color, very nice!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:28 PM
bar20
Advanced

Verify that the title is clear and not a salvage title.

Does your state require a smog check at registration time? In California the seller is responsible to have the car certified. However many buyers don't know this and drive away without the smog certificate which is registered with the state. If the seller removed smog equipment or the cats it could cost you lots of $$$$. Check with your state. In Oregon there is no smog check, all they do is match the vin number on the car to the vin on the title.

Make sure the seller gives you two sets of keys. Make sure there is an owners manual. Get any maintenance records from the seller. If he says some major work was done recently make him prove it with receipts.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 PM
94flavette
Drifting

Originally Posted by bar20
Verify that the title is clear and not a salvage title.
Title is good. Verified during transaction and turned into an electronic title upon my visit to the tag office.

your state require a smog check at registration time? In California the seller is responsible to have the car certified. However many buyers don't know this and drive away without the smog certificate which is registered with the state. If the seller removed smog equipment or the cats it could cost you lots of $$$$. Check with your state. In Oregon there is no smog check, all they do is match the vin number on the car to the vin on the title.
No emissions in Fla.

sure the seller gives you two sets of keys. Make sure there is an owners manual. Get any maintenance records from the seller. If he says some major work was done recently make him prove it with receipts.
I got THREE ignition keys and one door key and PKE fob. Owner's manual and maintenance records were all included - including the $3,000 of work he had done at the dealer which included a new water pump and opti about 10k miles ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C4: Private Party Sale

Quick Reply: Buying a C4: Private Party Sale