Restoring my GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Restoring my GS

Hi all,

Its been a long time! I still see a lot of familiar people on here which is cool.

Even though the Steel Blue is long gone, I still have the GS and it has been sitting in my garage untouched since 2006 or 2007.

I want to get the car running again but also do a few mods to it that would make it drive a little better.

First, I need to get the car running but after that, I would like to do the following mods.

1. New wheels and tires. I want to go with 18s but want to keep the original GS look. Are there 18" ZR1 or GS style wheels on the market? If so, where can I get a set? If anyone has them, please post pics.

2. Short shift kit. I had B&M ripper in my Steel Blue, is that still the one to go with or is there something newer and better.

3. Exhaust. What's the best bang for the buck for looks, sound, and performance?

4. Coilovers. Where can I get a set for a good price? If anyone has a set for sale, please let me know.

5. LT4 Hot cam. What's the performance gain with a bone stock LT4? Will it pass CA emission?

6. Camber brace. After i went with a blower on my 91, i took off my Camber brace and still have it. Will a Camber brace for a 91 fit on a 96?

I think thats all for now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul
Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to see you back, I have been gone also..shame you got rid of the other car, I loved your set-up on it....
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Thanks Brett. Do you still have your C4?
I think about my steel blue a lot but it was the right choice. I dont know if the owner is on the forum? Would be cool to see how they are doing?

Maybe I should have posted this thread in the C4 tech to get more response? Mod can you please move this thread?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Holy lovin schnitzel - you ARE alive!
I purposely searched for and bought a Steel Blue Metallic car just because of how good yours looked!
Can you post up some more pics of it?
This is the only one I have. By the way, who is the beautiful lady?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Great to have you back Paul! It's been a long time.

1. New wheels and tires. I want to go with 18s but want to keep the original GS look. Are there 18" ZR1 or GS style wheels on the market? If so, where can I get a set? If anyone has them, please post pics.
I have seen them but never able to find them. I did Fikse FM5's with a matte black center on our GS and it was stock-ish and looked killer. I had to have FM5's after I saw this wicked SB 91 on here years ago

2. Short shift kit. I had B&M ripper in my Steel Blue, is that still the one to go with or is there something newer and better.
I would use a ZR51 Performance shifter it is a modified stock unit. I have the Ripper in the Z and it is going as soon as possible if you want to go that B&M route let me know and we can work something out.

3. Exhaust. What's the best bang for the buck for looks, sound, and performance?
Everyone is likes Corsa but I prefer B&B I honestly don't think there is much difference but the sound of the B&B is much better to me.

4. Coilovers. Where can I get a set for a good price? If anyone has a set for sale, please let me know.
DRM call and ask for Randy. Maybe consider doing a 30mm front and 26mm rear solid bars at the same time they all work well together.

5. LT4 Hot cam. What's the performance gain with a bone stock LT4? Will it pass CA emission?
I have no idea about emissions or that cam. Sorry

6. Camber brace. After i went with a blower on my 91, i took off my Camber brace and still have it. Will a Camber brace for a 91 fit on a 96?
I think you will have an issue with the WP clearing the brace or maybe it was the A/C... IDK

Anyhow good to have you back

-Daniel
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe this pic is from another forum member, but these wheels are incredible, and may be what are referenced above if you want to keep something similar to the "GS" look...

Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Holy lovin schnitzel - you ARE alive!
I purposely searched for and bought a Steel Blue Metallic car just because of how good yours looked!
Can you post up some more pics of it?
This is the only one I have. By the way, who is the beautiful lady?
You should have just bought mine. I basically give it away. Post a pic of yours! I would love to see it.

I gota dig up some phtos of the SB. Just being on the forum brings back a lot of memories.

The girl in the pic is my ex.

Last edited by zelement; 05-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc
Great to have you back Paul! It's been a long time.

I have seen them but never able to find them. I did Fikse FM5's with a matte black center on our GS and it was stock-ish and looked killer. I had to have FM5's after I saw this wicked SB 91 on here years ago

I would use a ZR51 Performance shifter it is a modified stock unit. I have the Ripper in the Z and it is going as soon as possible if you want to go that B&M route let me know and we can work something out.

Everyone is likes Corsa but I prefer B&B I honestly don't think there is much difference but the sound of the B&B is much better to me.

DRM call and ask for Randy. Maybe consider doing a 30mm front and 26mm rear solid bars at the same time they all work well together.

I have no idea about emissions or that cam. Sorry

I think you will have an issue with the WP clearing the brace or maybe it was the A/C... IDK

Anyhow good to have you back

-Daniel
Thanks Daniel for your reply. Can you post a pic of your GS with the black FM5s?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow! Cool to hear from you. I agree that steel blue of your was/is one on the nicest C4s around.
Have you started the GS in a while? why won't it run?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silver84C4
I believe this pic is from another forum member, but these wheels are incredible, and may be what are referenced above if you want to keep something similar to the "GS" look...

That used to be G Man's car but another forum member in Kentucky bought it. Dont know if he still has it. Definitely one of the nicest on this forum.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Wow! Cool to hear from you. I agree that steel blue of your was/is one on the nicest C4s around.
Have you started the GS in a while? why won't it run?
Thanks. Its been sitting for a very long time. The last time I tried to start it was 06 or 07? It didnt even turn. The last time I actually drove it was back in 04? At that time, the tires had flat spots in it where the car would shake violently at over 50mph. I havent had the time to give this car the TLC it deserves but I think now is a good time. It could be just a battery? Thats what im hoping for but im actually more excited about modding it
Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Freshly in from my drive to pick it up in Dec '09 from the original owner in N Carolina. He was a F117 pilot who bought it as a reward for surviving Desert Storm. His Stealth fighter was the 3rd one into Bagdhad on the opening night of the war.
Just over 100,000 miles with A4, performance axle and FX3. Paint was severely faded but it had been well maintained.

I cleaned it up by buffing it out but hope to repaint the whole thing this summer.
I bought these Fikses but sold them later as I could not see having $4,000 wheels on a $5,300 car

This is how she looks today with C5 rims:

I am in the process of installing this right now:
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zelement
Thanks Daniel for your reply. Can you post a pic of your GS with the black FM5s?
Sure (the GS looks like a 4x4):

The only think I was not happy with was the height of the rear tire. A little lower profile I think would have looked a lot better.

That used to be G Man's car but another forum member in Kentucky bought it. Dont know if he still has it. Definitely one of the nicest on this forum.
The CE is still around the car is now sporting a solid rear and a lot of other trick goodies. I have pictures from The Gathering a couple of years ago if I can find them.

-Daniel
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

What's up zelement. Don't know you, but still. Beautiful steel blue you had! Got any pics of the GS?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM
ARTIC TRUCK
Intermediate

A BEAUTIFUL GS

Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Freshly in from my drive to pick it up in Dec '09 from the original owner in N Carolina. He was a F117 pilot who bought it as a reward for surviving Desert Storm. His Stealth fighter was the 3rd one into Bagdhad on the opening night of the war.
Just over 100,000 miles with A4, performance axle and FX3. Paint was severely faded but it had been well maintained.

I cleaned it up by buffing it out but hope to repaint the whole thing this summer.
I bought these Fikses but sold them later as I could not see having $4,000 wheels on a $5,300 car

This is how she looks today with C5 rims:

I am in the process of installing this right now:
Nice ride Ron! Thats what mine used to look like. I even had the c5 wheels too but in black. Any mods besides the mini ram?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc
Sure (the GS looks like a 4x4):

The only think I was not happy with was the height of the rear tire. A little lower profile I think would have looked a lot better.

The CE is still around the car is now sporting a solid rear and a lot of other trick goodies. I have pictures from The Gathering a couple of years ago if I can find them.

-Daniel
Daniel, i remember you now. Your car is sick! Why dont you lower it? I want my GS to look like that but I dont think the wife will let me drop $4k for a set of wheels on an almost 20 year old car. I will start looking for a used set. I found 18" A molds on Ebay but they only come in 9.5". Anyone know if they come in 11"?

Get notified of new replies

To Restoring my GS

Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
What's up zelement. Don't know you, but still. Beautiful steel blue you had! Got any pics of the GS?
thanks! most of the vette pics are on my old computer but I found some of these from a long time ago. not very good shots of the GS but its all I got for now.

i found this one too! This is what I actually miss the most about my SB
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 AM
1993 Z07
Advanced

Default Beautiful cars

Wow beautiful cars. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful cars.