Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95 won't start when hot outside, and inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Briangh54
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 won't start when hot outside, and inside.

This may be unique here. I just purchased this 95, and have had 3 occasions where it won't crank after sitting in the hot Arizona sun for a few hours. I took it to work Saturday and when I went to leave, it wouldn't start. Won't even crank over. The battery is new and the lights and instruments all come alive. The lights don't dim when the key is turned to start. I went back on Sunday morning, and it started right up.

This just happened again today. This morning it was around 70 when I left, and after 9 hours of sitting, it was around 90 when I went to start her. No crank again, with the lights and all working. I pumped the clutch pedal several times to see if it may be the switch, with no success. I took it out Monday several times, and it always started. It has me baffled. Any suggestions? Happen to anyone else?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

VATS. Does the "security" light stay on during a no-crank condition?

Try cleaning the pellet on the key with rubbing alcohol. I finally got sick of messing with VATS and bypassed it.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Briangh54
7th Gear

The Security light only comes on and flashes when I open the hatch. Other than that, the light never comes on. But.. it never comes on when it starts, or doesn't start. I had a new key made, and it does the same with either key. How do you disable the VATS?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Briangh54
The Security light only comes on and flashes when I open the hatch. Other than that, the light never comes on. But.. it never comes on when it starts, or doesn't start. I had a new key made, and it does the same with either key. How do you disable the VATS?
That depends. If the ignition cylinder is at fault, you can buy a resistor that plugs in place of the pellet reader. If it's in the VATS module itself, either repair the module or have VATS programmed out of the PCM.

Generally, during a VATS fault, the security light will stay illuminated when you turn the key. You then have to wait approx 5 minutes before you can attempt restart.

Try turning the key on, and using a handheld remote starter switch. See if it cranks over then. You may have a fault in the starter circuit, solenoid, or motor instead of VATS.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Assuming an auto; try moving gear shift to neutral instead of park when it does not start.

Next thing would be to measure the voltage at the starter solenoid when not starting to determine if voltage is there is there or not. This would eliminate VATS and ignition switch if voltage is present and is then likely the starter needs rebuilt/replacing. If no voltage, then need to determine if VATS or ignition switch is at fault.

Where at in AZ?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Briangh54
7th Gear

I'm in Mesa, AZ. It's still at work this morning. I will take my truck to work and see if it starts now that it's cool. It should. I guess the ignition switch could be the problem, based on it being so hot in the car sitting in the sun during the day. (no covered parking) I'll try a few things, like leave the windows down, put a towel over the steering column to keep the sun off. I'll put it up on ramps this weekend and try the remote starter idea. Hoping to get this fixed. Taking it to Vegas June 13.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Briangh54
7th Gear

Update: It didn't start for the 3rd day. Just sitting at my work. I had it towed to a mechanic I used in the past, near my home. When they unloaded it off the rollback, it started right up. Now, my mechanic has had it for a week, has been using it here and there, and it starts every time. The only thing he did was clean the contacts in the key cylinder for the VATS. But, he also said that if it was the VATS, it would still crank, but wouldn't start. I don't know if that's right. Anyway, he also said the battery cables show some internal corrosion. I am going to have him replace them, get the car back, and see if I can get it to die again, but first I am taking my bicycle to work so I have a ride home. Electrical problems are a PITA.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

First off VATS in a 95 is controlled thru the CCM. There is no separate VATS module unlike older C4's.

Second, a VATS or more accurately a PASSkey issue WILL prevent engine crank. I just fixed a 94 with this issue. However, the security light was lit up constantly when the key is in ON or START position.

Make sure your mechanic understands when this was happening (after sitting out in the sun for a while) so he can try and replicate the issue.

If its a PASSKey issue there should be stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) for the CCM. Your mechanic (if they have a half decent scan tool) SHOULD be able to look for these codes or jumper pins 4 and 12 in the DLC and read them via the CCM thru the instrument cluster display.

The car needs to be caught in the act and diagnosed as a no crank. That is the only way its going to get fixed.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Briangh54
7th Gear

Thanks for the information 93Rubie. I'll pass it on to my mechanic. I read on another forum that there may be a problem with the door switches. Since I don't get a "security" light other than when the hatch is open, there may be an issue there. Maybe I will try the bypass from Baker.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Briangh54
7th Gear

Well... it did it again. This time, I had my bicycle at work, so I had a fun 6 mile ride home, in direct sun on my back, and a temp of around 107. I drank a pint of water before I left. I made it home. Now, I picked up the car on Saturday, drove it all around over the weekend with no trouble. I took it to work Monday, and it at in the sun all day. Started at lunch, and quitting time. Same today, but it didn't start at lunch, and not at quitting time. Same condition. All lights on, no crank. I am taking my truck to Vegas for a week, and will deal with this when I get back. Just another crack in the road of my life...
Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 PM
JOESMTOY
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever resolve this issue?..... I am having the exact same issue In my 2004. Please pm me with any info you might have...... Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Briangh54
7th Gear

Default Starter

It turned out to be the starter. I bought a new one from Amazon (Bosch) and installed it myself. Worked fine since then. When it doesn't start, take a hammer and tap the outside of the starter and solenoid. If it starts after that, it is a bad starter. You may also have a problem with the VATS system, if your Vette still has that.

Originally Posted by JOESMTOY
Did you ever resolve this issue?..... I am having the exact same issue In my 2004. Please pm me with any info you might have...... Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 95 won't start when hot outside, and inside.

Quick Reply: 95 won't start when hot outside, and inside.