Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default New weatherstrip doesn't seal

Just completed my weatherstrip install today. There seems to be a problem with the B pillar. With the passenger window rolled up there is a 5-6 in long slit that I can easily slip a piece of paper through. I would expect this to be a major leak. The window seems to be exactly like the other. I don't think there is an adjustment for this anyway.
The other side seals fine
Vender has not replied to email sent a noontime today.
I could probably put something in back of the rubber to back it to puff out more, but why should I have to?
Hope you can see in the pics

Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

You need nice soft weatherstrips Original GM is best but very expensive, the only other choice is Willcox.

If the weatherstrips are too tough it will not flex to absorb the side window shape, you can adjust the windows to the top tilts in more but not the lower parts.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Speedjester
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I replaced mine it was the same....It got better with time.. And if I remember correctly it snugged up a bit when I put the roof panel on...

Good luck
Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I could probably put something in back of the rubber to back it to puff out more, but why should I have to?
To keep it from leaking?

Not everything is perfect. So rather than buying another set of rubbers, why not back this set up like you observed?
The gaskets will shift and set after time but an air gap is not likely to "close up" by itself.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:17 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Try this link to see what the author did to get his WS to fit well.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gerardvg
You need nice soft weatherstrips Original GM is best but very expensive, the only other choice is Willcox.

If the weatherstrips are too tough it will not flex to absorb the side window shape, you can adjust the windows to the top tilts in more but not the lower parts.
Who said they were not from Wilcox?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Looks like maybe the weatherstrips went directly from the "packaging" directly to the car. It will sometimes/most times help if the weatherstrips are laid out in at least room temperature for a day or two. Laid out in the sunshine for a few hours would/should also improve an install.

Location suggests it likely was rather cool maybe even "cold"!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-25-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Who said they were not from Wilcox?
Wilcox has a good reputation, I'm sure they will backup the problem if it turns out to be a defect with the weatherstripping. I've seen lots of weatherstipping post over the years, and yours is the first I've seen with this problem.

Could just be a defective piece and I would be surprised if Wilcox didn't offer to replace the piece.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Looks like maybe the weatherstrips went directly from the "packaging" directly to the car. It will sometimes/most times help if the weatherstrips are laid out in at least room temperature for a day or two. Laid out in the sunshine for a few hours would/should also improve an install.

Location suggests it likely was rather cool maybe even "cold"!
my garage looks cold, LOL. How did you come to that conclusion from the pictures?
The weatherstrips came in a box and I don't think going straight on the car has anything to do with it. Being in the sun may make them easier to work with but won't make them puff out more in order for the correct seal.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bac22
Wilcox has a good reputation, I'm sure they will backup the problem if it turns out to be a defect with the weatherstripping. I've seen lots of weatherstipping post over the years, and yours is the first I've seen with this problem.

Could just be a defective piece and I would be surprised if Wilcox didn't offer to replace the piece.
I'm shocked that I haven't heard back even though it's only one day
Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

my garage looks cold, LOL. How did you come to that conclusion from the pictures?
The weatherstrips came in a box and I don't think going straight on the car has anything to do with it. Being in the sun may make them easier to work with but won't make them puff out more in order for the correct seal.

UPSTATE NY I would think should be pretty "self explanatory" I assumed nothing about your garage! If your "location" is "fictitious" maybe I should have asked first BUT I'll stay with what I mentioned about being laid out and room temperature helping!

I'm shocked that I haven't heard back even though it's only one day
I'd think maybe even Wilcox does "Holidays"!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-25-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

I'd think maybe even Wilcox does "Holidays"!!!
Even if it was 40 degrees in my garage, it should still seal IMO.

Yesterday wasn't a holiday. He's on this board every 6-8 hrs updating his adds, LOL

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 05-25-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Default my weatherstrip experience

Even if it was 40 degrees in my garage, it should still seal IMO.
Cruisinfanatic probably has a heater in his garage if he is in upstate NY. I also used Wilcox weatherstrips on the B pillar and experienced the same problem, exactly. Their B pillar strips are not as soft and pliable as the original GM parts, but the cost was less than half. Some of these parts are not even available from GM any more. Realizing this, I am not totally unhappy with my Wilcox strips. I did, as another above suggested, and cut some plastic shims and slid them behind the new weatherstrips. In time, they may re-align themselves, I don't know? As these cars get older, we can't always guarantee that we will get the perfect part every time. Sometimes we may have to settle for less than perfection, but waaaay better than what it was before the repair.

steve
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure why some think upstate NY is cold this time of yr. Average temp is 70 for this time of yr
Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Not sure why some think upstate NY is cold this time of yr. Average temp is 70 for this time of yr
Average? Sure! I'd also say this hasn't been "typical" - you "might" also notice I mentioned "cool" AND MAYBE "COLD"! The past 3 or so days have been more March like than May here locally and from the looks of the weather maps "UPSTATE NY" might have been similar! From "stuffed" in the box directly to the car your experience isn't out of the ordinary!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-26-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There are lots of things that can affect the door glass fitment to the weatherstrip.

One area to look at would be the window lateral adjustment pads not being positioned properly, If the pads are worn it will allow the glass to move outward at the top, (remember when adjusting the pads, if you push on the glass at the bottom with the pad, it will push the top in. In this same sense, if they are worn they will allow the glass to tilt outward.

Regulator or bushing slop can also cause these same issues. If the regulator to glass bushings worn or loose on the glass, the glass will seem to have a mind of its own and be next to impossible to seal to the rear weatherstrip.

If the hinge pins are worn the door will drop and pull down the top of the glass, this makes for a miss-match in the radius from the glass to weatherstrip.

Sure it’s possible to have a defective rear weatherstrip but the quick way to check this is to remove the side section and allow it to relax (if it’s been on the car the area where the glass has been pushing will be slightly collapsed). Once relaxed, see if the thickness of the weatherstrip is the same where the glass has been hitting vs. where it is not. If the thickness is the same then the issue is not the weatherstrip but rather the glass adjustment or door.

IMHO,

Willcox.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
There are lots of things that can affect the door glass fitment to the weatherstrip.

One area to look at would be the window lateral adjustment pads not being positioned properly, If the pads are worn it will allow the glass to move outward at the top, (remember when adjusting the pads, if you push on the glass at the bottom with the pad, it will push the top in. In this same sense, if they are worn they will allow the glass to tilt outward.

Regulator or bushing slop can also cause these same issues. If the regulator to glass bushings worn or loose on the glass, the glass will seem to have a mind of its own and be next to impossible to seal to the rear weatherstrip.

If the hinge pins are worn the door will drop and pull down the top of the glass, this makes for a miss-match in the radius from the glass to weatherstrip.

Sure it’s possible to have a defective rear weatherstrip but the quick way to check this is to remove the side section and allow it to relax (if it’s been on the car the area where the glass has been pushing will be slightly collapsed). Once relaxed, see if the thickness of the weatherstrip is the same where the glass has been hitting vs. where it is not. If the thickness is the same then the issue is not the weatherstrip but rather the glass adjustment or door.

IMHO,

Willcox.
Thanks for your advise. I'll look at it closer, but from what I can see now is that the top of the window fit's fine and I think adjusting the window to collapse to get the side to fit better would not be a good idea
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

IMHO,

Willcox.
Good reply from good folks. Both C4s I have replaced weatherstripping on needed the door windows readjusted but luckily not the hinges ...one from Willcox, one not.

Get notified of new replies

To New weatherstrip doesn't seal

Quick Reply: New weatherstrip doesn't seal