Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Elohim
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first.

I am shooting for a 1986 T-Top or glass top with a manual, i absolutely hate and get bored with autos. The problem is they are hard to find, how expensive is it to buy and install a 6sp from the 89 or a Doug Nash 4+3?

I also will be doing some mods over time. The will for sure get the forced air induction from lingenfelter and a bigger throttle body. I can't stand the stock exhaust so i will get performance headers and 2.5" from the cat all the way back. The ZR-1 rims sell on ebay for $1,100 are 18x9.5 front and 18x11 on the rear, boy those are pretty!! Since it won't be a low mileage car i will have the engine rebuilt first thing.

You guys have to help me out with upgrades!! I have never owned a corvette and heck i'm only 16! Yes, i will be paying for every cent of this car, my parents don't buy me things like this:)

Where is the best place to find camshafts, rocker arms, valves, pushrods, cylinder heads, intake manifolds and stuff like that. I know lingenfelter has all of it but seems way to spendy.

Thanks! I appreciate every reply and thank you for your time!!

Luke(Soon to be a C4 owner)
Old 06-22-2002, 05:11 PM
bigdan
Drifting

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (Elohim)

you mean convert an auto to a stick? i think you'd be better to take the time and find one that was factory. they're out there, be patient. :) as for mods it's going to depend on what you start with. getting an 80's, there is a good chance the basic stuff is already done (exaust, k&n, thermostat). look at some of the venders here on the forum for goodies & use that search engine. oh yea, check the cars/parts for sale here on the forum too!
have fun!

[Modified by bigdan, 4:11 PM 6/22/2002]
Old 06-22-2002, 07:55 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As some added insurance, pay a 'Vette mechanic/shop to go over the car inside and out. It's $50 well spent. Hell, I can save you $50 by stering you clear of an Airfoil. So it'll be a wash for ya.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:59 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Welcome to CF :seeya

Look for a 4+3 and dont convert an auto to a manual. Saves you A LOT of grief and money. Also, look for a late model '86 with the center bolt valve covers. Those have the aluminum heads and will give you 5 more HPs. Try to look for a Z51 suspension package, it will come with stiffer suspension and a stock 2ndary cooling fan as well as an oil cooler. I love my 86, but if you can afford newer, buy newer. Take your time and dont rush into a car you spend more money fixing than modding. (like me! :D) Definitely have a vette shop check it out and give you a grocery list. Good luck. Look forward to seeing your new ride!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:07 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Welcome to the forum :seeya FYI, 6 speeds started in 89...maybe you should consider one.... :D
Old 06-22-2002, 11:26 PM
Elohim
6th Gear

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (GRX)

Thanks for all your reply's!!

Hey man, i know the 6sp started in 89:) read my first post, "get a 6sp from an 89":) I definitely see your point but the problem is i'm not rich:) I'm only 16 in just finished my first semester in college and getting a good job is a hard thing to come by. The most i will be able to spend in around 8k. Anyone know of some 89's for that price? let me know! The only thing i want is a good engine and body, the interior doens't matter, i have friends and ebay to help me with that:) I have seen a few 86's in great shape selling for around 6k. I'm just waiting for the right one and for it actually to be in 500 mile range:)

Again, i really appreciate all your reply's!!

Make a great day!

Luke
Old 06-23-2002, 02:21 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (chucks88)

As some added insurance, pay a 'Vette mechanic/shop to go over the car inside and out. It's $50 well spent. Hell, I can save you $50 by stering you clear of an Airfoil. So it'll be a wash for ya.
Dude why the hell would u wanna steer him clear of an air foil? That could be one of the best $30 he's ever spent. :confused:
Old 06-23-2002, 02:56 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (MaSTeRofDZaSTeR)

Dude you are 16, and a Sophomore in college??? WTF???
Old 06-23-2002, 03:28 AM
Elohim
6th Gear

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (Marty McFly)

weird, isn't it? my older sister got her 2 year degree in college before she was 18. now she is 19 and a teacher. Kinda freaky.i should have my 4yr degree from the University of Minnesota before i am 20, hopefully.

I just want a corvette now! the fastest car i have driven was a 1984 porsche 944(2.5L 4cyl). not bad. I want to drive my friends firebird. It's not even a firebird anymore. It's completely stripped, has a rollcage, racing bucket seats, LT1 engine with 6sp trans, and over 400hp. I can easily run mid 12's in it. he said he ran 12.6 several times. it looks so fun!!

Thanks for the input!!

later guys

Luke
Old 06-23-2002, 08:58 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (MaSTeRofDZaSTeR)

Dude why the hell would u wanna steer him clear of an air foil? That could be one of the best $30 he's ever spent. :confused:
Looks like another one of us got snookered :nonod:
Old 06-23-2002, 10:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome to the forum!!!!!!! 16 and a sophomore??? wow! impressive!!!! good luck with getting your degree! hope it works out!!!!

hmmm.... an $8000.00 vette... wow... that sounds like trouble waiting to happen, buddy.

If you don't have a good income, they can break your bank. I would suggest saving a bit more and getting a newer vette in better condition. they exist.

the 6spd is well worth the additional expense... really. I have one. My 92 has a six speed, and I love it!!!! great tranny!!!!!
Old 06-24-2002, 12:58 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (chucks88)

Looks like another one of us got snookered :nonod:

Would only put one in if it were free. ;)
Old 06-24-2002, 01:07 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Be patient and youll find a 4+3, then after youre done with engine mods you can think about saving up for a 6speed conversion later, with a Richmond 6.

As far as parts, get some Summit and Jegs catalogs, and look to the big tuners: TPiS and Lingenfelter for some package ideas. And dont spend your money on something that says it increases HP without asking about it first, youll see what i mean if you order a Mid America and Ecklers catalog.

I would not get the engine rebuilt immediately, you should first drive it for at least 6-12 mos. to learn the cars tendencies before really doing anything.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:12 PM
GoodbyeGirl
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Welcome! :seeya

I'd hold off and find a C4 with a stick shift. I'd go with a an '89 or newer (they have a 6 speed)

As far as rims go, I got my rims and tires from afs wheels http://www.afswheels.com/ $1100 for 4 rims is outrangous. I got 4 new rims and tires for around $1600.

Just my $.02 Good luck! :cheers:

[Modified by GoodbyeGirl, 10:13 AM 6/24/2002]
Old 06-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I always love when a "potential" Corvette owner is shopping for a Vette, and he has mods picked out before he has even picked out a car!!! Not to mention one who is 16 years old, and barely has experience driving a normal car.
Why don't you take your time, and shop for the car that is perfect for you? Test drive many before you buy one. Go to a local club meeting, and ask the members to show you their different models, and what they like and dislike about each.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:24 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Welcome to the family! I would steer clear of the 4+3 manual trans. It'll get in your wallet to repair it. See if you can find a nice 89 or better with a 6spd. I think you'll be pleased with it. The main thing is to take your time finding the Vette thats right for you. It took me a year to find the one I purchased. Good luck! :chevy

P.S. Elohim (God)-nice handle! :yesnod:
Old 06-25-2002, 12:56 AM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

As some added insurance, pay a 'Vette mechanic/shop to go over the car inside and out. It's $50 well spent. Hell, I can save you $50 by stering you clear of an Airfoil. So it'll be a wash for ya. Dude why the hell would u wanna steer him clear of an air foil? That could be one of the best $30 he's ever spent. :confused: Looks like another one of us got snookered :nonod:
why is an airfoil not worth doing? the stock TB design just isn't aerodynamic- it has that flatness in the middle. hasn't any1 done a dyno test on this??? I wanna see it.

Get notified of new replies

To I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first.

Old 06-25-2002, 01:39 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (qblue92)

why is an airfoil not worth doing? the stock TB design just isn't aerodynamic- it has that flatness in the middle. hasn't any1 done a dyno test on this??? I wanna see it.
Because the hp numbers they say you get, dont really happen. Its just a paperweight. Nobody has gotten consistent improvements at the track with just the airfoil.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Elohim
6th Gear

Default Re: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first. (vader86)

wow, cool, i'm getting alot of input here:)

So, i guess i just take my time on this one, save some more $$$, and try and find a 89 or newer with a 6sp:)

i think your right about the engine rebuild, i have never driven a 230+hp car, it needs some getting used too.

How can you not plan upgrades for a car you dream about?!?!:) If this was a viper i would have alot more upgrades in mind! Then i would crash it because it's so fast and prabably kill my self:)

So how much it it be worth to spend a 89 in better shape? 11-13k? ive only been looking at the 85-87 vettes. what should i be looking for? z51 handeling and the 6sp manual? i want the car to be as stock as possible because i like doing mods myself. I would love to replace the clutch plate or something like that before i drove it just to see whats under there:) I think i am going to checker auto and buy the book for this car!

Thanks guys! keep the info comin!!

Luke(Elohim=God in Hebrew. it's cool that you noticed:) )

[Modified by Elohim, 10:50 AM 6/25/2002]
Old 06-25-2002, 01:34 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I don't know about MN, but in my part of Kentucky $11 to 13k puts you in solid LT-1 territory.

With that kinda loot, you may be able to buy a newer coupe and bypass the L-98 models altogether (not to say they aren't fine cars if that's what you're dead set on.)

BTW, welcome to The Forum. :cheers:

Quick Reply: I am getting a Corvette, but i have some questions first.