C4 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
kenholio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 pricing

In advance I apologize for the long winded post

So I am in the market for a C4 and I have been checking the forums and web for pricing guides, but there is no real set prices, I will say that I have found many buyers guides.
I found a 94 C4 Vert with 113k miles and looked at it today along with my new knowledge from the buyers guides. Can was overall nice looking, his asking price was 6900. Found issues on it though, front lights locked up and all wires disconnected, passenger seat would not power backwards, hard to start ( once running it was fine ? ), service engine light on. So I tell him I need to knock alot off his price. He gets annoyed and tells me NADA price is 9300 and for vettes its the price guide used. I low ball him $5100 cash, he replies that he has 6500 in it and will not fix or check the issues because its a 40th edition because of the seats, thanked him for his time and walked away. To many issues that could cost me $$$ to fix. 3rd one I have walked away from in the last few weeks, some private, some dealers, all with the same issues of everyone wanting full NADA pricing, must be a SC thing.

I check the classifieds often to try and gauge the pricing but there is a huge gap in pricing.
So where is a good place to start for pricing guides ?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Where are you located? Watch the CL in your area, it's a start. Take your time, there's lots of nice C4's out there.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you narrowed down what you want to a vert only? Year? These choices will affect what you're going to pay. You're better off if you....

1. Up your budget.
2. Buy from an individual.
3. Look for one with maint history.
4. Get the lowest milage one you can afford.
5. Take your time and look at a ton of them.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are really interested in buying one at the price you offered,

1- Be extremely pleasant and professional, ego bruising with offers that they perceive as low ball when in reality it's what it's worth considering the work needed doesn't go too far with any seller.

2- Be honest with them about how much it would cost to repair everything you pointed out so they are grounded in their expectations price wise.

3- Make the offer respectfully and give them a couple of weeks to think about it, leave them your card with your offer, continue to look for a better car in your price range, BUT you would be surprised you may get a call back accepting your offer.

4- Chances are the sellers are unrealistic in their expectations thinking that everyone wants a corvette for the appeal and status, they price it according to nada which is also unrealistic pricing and think everyone is going to jump at the chance to buy a turd with no history.

5- Give the sellers enough time and rope to hang themselves and pretty soon they will start to get desperate and either change their ad to do a trade ( for another ungodly and unrealistic thing ) or they are truly ready to accept a more reasonable offer in cash, to the most polite person that they talked to ( YOU ).

Hope this helps
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 PM
ms2086
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually a c4 in good shape with low mileage can go as high as $11,900.00. The issues did bring the price down but you won't get a good mechanically sound car for under $5K. You may need to adjust your approach. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

I got my 90 Z51 FX3 6 speed in a trade so I can't say much on what to pay, but the guy was asking $8500 for it. Has 155k miles on it with receipts for everything from 2001 to current and $17k in work done in the last 6k miles. Car looks great and drives great only issues are a warped rotor on the rear and a leak from the oil pressure sending unit. It really depends on your area as I see some good deals on ones around me but all seemed to be priced higher that what I see in warmer conditions. In the end don't just settle get exactly what you want, mine is everything I want except it's not a ZR1 but i can't afford one of those on my military pay lol. here are some pics of it, I think its a $7500 car all day long personally and the way it makes me feel driving it is priceless and thats what really matters in the end.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

This is probably the best deal around me
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3747622210.html
and here is a cheap vert
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3745978272.html
another decent deal
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/3744991720.html
one more vert
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3742676239.html
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM
True Mountaneer
Instructor

There not as dirt cheap here in my neck of the woods as they seem to be in some areas,.The guy I bought mine from wouldn't budge on his price,I even tried to get him down a little to cover the taxes on the car with no luck..I was able to talk him into topping it off with fuel ...He knew it was a good car,and I'm glad I bought it...If a seller is too eager to drastically drop the price it could be a sign that the car is a lemon.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
mattyg413
Heel & Toe

I got a 96 coupe black 76k miles. Not sure what your price range is pm me.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ms2086
Actually a c4 in good shape with low mileage can go as high as $11,900.00. The issues did bring the price down but you won't get a good mechanically sound car for under $5K. You may need to adjust your approach. Good luck!
Perhaps not under $5K, but just above $5K bought me a super early C4.

There are so many C4s out there, despite what we see on the street. Most of them, these days, are not daily drivers any more. There's a huge field of low mileage, well-cared-for cars sitting in garages. So do not settle for some pieced-together crap. It will wind up costing you more (much more) in the long run.

I do not know where you are, but in my area I can locate a nice C4 under $6000 without trying very hard.

Here are some C4s from my area:

'85, "show ready". 4+3 trans for you manual fans.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/3745823875.html

'85, grandmother owned (cool ad).

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3727742930.html

'86 vert.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3689261062.html

I could go on.

best of luck.

Last edited by DinoBob; 04-16-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

A quick check of CL in my area shows a few verts in the 9000 range, but this one is extra cheap:

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/3668394704.html

I do not know this car or the seller, but it may be worth a peak.

Here is another one worth taking a peak at:

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/3685233884.html
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tons of them out there and more coming up no reason to pay good money for a C4 with issues. One thats mint and well maintained worth paying a little more for.
Buyers market right now....let some sucker pay for the "rare special Corvette bs" not you.

These are fun cars but in the end just used Chevys and will need $omething.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Prices are all over the map on C4s. I got mine local from CL. Still has a couple of small issues such as, lumbars in the sport seats don't work. A/C doesn't work, probably needs a charge. Rear speakers don't work. All receipts from new and is in a #3 condition. Great driver, no issues and I got it with 99,980 miles for $5500. It was a firm price as the PO had it financed so I basically paid his note. No mechanical issues and just recently had the 100,000 mile tranny service done.

Keep shopping. You will find one in the condition/price you need. People who save all receipts sell theirs first.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Dave13077
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 85 for $7800 a couple of months ago. The guy had it listed for $8100, I offered $7500 and we settled on the $7800. It is a black automatic with 41,XXX miles. It is in really good condition inside and out. Had a local shop look it over (specializes is GM cars) and it needed just a few items like shocks, oil change, a little exhaust work etc. and cost less than $500 to get everything addressed. Does have a small transmission leak, they are telling me that it is the o ring around the pump and is most likely caused by the car sitting. Suggested that I drive it for a bit to see if it gets better. Other than that a solid car. Not going to be a daily driver just something to cruise around in here and there.

Last edited by Dave13077; 04-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
kenholio
Advanced

I'm in the Charleston SC area and I have been looking for a month, just slim pickings, would prefer a convertible but I am leaving my options open for a nice one. Just wondering if there is a guide that is used for pricing or a place to start to check pricing or the values of the cars, NADA is just way high compared to KBB or edmunds.
I walked away from the green 93 because I can seethe current and hidden issues.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenholio
I'm in the Charleston SC area and I have been looking for a month, just slim pickings, would prefer a convertible but I am leaving my options open for a nice one. Just wondering if there is a guide that is used for pricing or a place to start to check pricing or the values of the cars, NADA is just way high compared to KBB or edmunds.
I walked away from the green 93 because I can seethe current and hidden issues.
Not sure how NADA calculates it's figures nor KBB or Edmunds either. NADA is quite high. Hagerty Ins has a price guide too that seems more in line with the market. A fair price is one where both the seller and buyer are happy.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
kenholio
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
Not sure how NADA calculates it's figures nor KBB or Edmunds either. NADA is quite high. Hagerty Ins has a price guide too that seems more in line with the market. A fair price is one where both the seller and buyer are happy.
Indeed that is the goal, hard to negotiate with car dealers at times though

Get notified of new replies

To C4 pricing

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by kenholio
I low ball him $5100 cash, he replies that he has 6500 in it and will not fix or check the issues because its a 40th edition because of the seats, thanked him for his time and walked away.
Corvette owners have a really hard time getting past "what they have in a car". When you buy one (or any sport/luxury car), the total price invested must be considered expendable. Luxury cars depreciate more quickly...and sports cars are normally "distrusted" by buyers. (This means people rightly assume hard use.)

There are, of couse, exceptions. People do take pride in Corvettes and some drive them like a prize. Nothing wrong with that...but you still can't prove how you "took care of it" while driving. (Unless it looks showroom new.)

Looking for a vette is more like inheriting someone's lifetime, coveted prize. I agree you have to be very respectful to gain headway with negotion. (Although lower priced specimens may not present this issue as much.) There are even people who's spouse/loved-one sought after and owned a Corvette as "last rites".

But, the real issue is that investment thing. If someone keeps spouting they need back what they put into a Corvette, I recommend walking away. They've yet to come to terms with the inability to recoupe money in sports cars. Feel free to provide contact info...but don't waste your time. Admiration of the car is worthwhile -- because they'll think of you first when they come to grips with reality.

The poster (with pics) above is a good example $17k in the past 6 years could never be recouped. (OTOH, that car should have new paint, interior, AND motor for $17k.) If you don't do your own work, these cars can be virual money suckers.

Unless someone is trading up, they're probably getting rid of the car to end the never-ending outlay of cash. Figure out a way to remind them of that -- while admiring what they own -- and you'll be much closer to being the buyer of any car for sale. For example, say "I bet you've spent a lot of money maintaining her!".

Sales people have techniques....So, should buyers.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

GREGGPENN you nailed it on mine. Motor was just gone through, bottom end freshened up and top end had some work done plus headers back and couple other things. Lots of seals replaced and little things taken care of. FX3 shocks sent off and rebuilt by bilstein. Paint done a couple years back and done quite well not some cheap Manco job. Do as much research as possible and don't jump into something.

Last edited by jcorkin; 04-17-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM
kenholio
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
thanks for the link

Quick Reply: C4 pricing